Author Topic: Used ABS?  (Read 610 times)

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Used ABS?
« on: November 13, 2022, 20:51:01 »
Just a question as to whether you've ever tested your ABS (back and front) for real. Yes, I know it's supposed to do this....or that. I have done mine on a road safety course here. I was surprised how noisey it was but how well controlled the bike was too. I then had to immediately exit a cone garage as if I had to avoid something at the end. Testing stuff be very reassuring.

So, your experiences........
So how's it going so far then?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Used ABS?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 21:22:00 »
Yes ...

Nothing like what you've done but I regularly force my ABS to kick in, including the front.

My F800 ABS is so sensitive it'll kick in going over a cats eye, quite annoying sometimes, which is why, if I remember,  It gets switch it off .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 21:27:05 »
My abs light has been on for a bit, it came on a few months ago, got it to go off, not sure how but it's come back on.
Yesterday while out down a quiet lane, stood on the back brake and it locked up.
Never had a bike with abs before, not sure where to start really.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 21:35:30 »
It's one of those things to try out in the empty supermarket carpark. You can do it by gentle increase in braking to the point where you lock arms straight to avoid your weight being thrown forward (how I was instructed) and it also slowed your pillion down too if they hit your braced body first!  :shock:

That's braking from 60kph (40mph) to a virtual stop.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Usied ABS?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 22:36:44 »
You can trigger the ABS on the rumble strips on approach to roundabouts / 30mph zones easily enough with mild increase in pressure on the brakes.
I too activate it regularly and change the brake fluid regularly too so it keeps working.

@Crump that doesn't sound good. There's reports on Stromtrooper of ABS units locking up and needing replacing but I think I read Kawasaki use the same part number so might make it cheaper to source a second hand unit (not sure if it's an MOT failure if the light stays on?)

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 01:08:24 »
After bleeding both front and rear brake systems, I took my bike to a gravel car park and had a play. My ABS definitely works... it's a bit disconcerting though!

In normal riding? I can't say I've had it go off... or at least I've not noticed.

My abs light has been on for a bit, it came on a few months ago, got it to go off, not sure how but it's come back on.

If the light is on permanently, the ABS almost certainly won't work. I seem to recall the dealer trick to get the codes will elicit a code for the ABS if something is wrong?

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 20:08:59 »
When BMW launched abs in 1988 I tested a bike by slamming on the brakes while going through running water. It was quite dramatic.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 20:15:54 »
I "tested" the glee's abs unintentionally once. It worked, I didn't hit the Gendarmes' voiture.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 16:39:59 »
The only downside to ABS is you can no longer do "stoppies"  :)