Author Topic: Best commuting bike?  (Read 995 times)

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
Best commuting bike?
« on: November 12, 2022, 09:10:22 »
I love my Strom and will be keeping it for weekend blasts round country lanes with the odd green lane when weather permits. But my question to all your very knowledgeable and experienced riders, what are the best commuting bikes on the market (new and old) as a second bike?

I owned a BMW R1100S many years ago and the weather protection and shaft drive made motorway munching a breeze. Only reason I wouldn’t get another is when the engine input spline shredded its teeth (very common in boxer engines) it cost my £2k to repair.

So I’m thinking Japanese shaft drive with good weather protection, panniers, but hopefully not too big as I’m only 5’8” so the likes of a Honda ST1100 would be too large… I think.

I’m thinking Honda 1200 crosstourer or similar  :shrug:
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Best commuting bike?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 09:33:58 »
I'm almost loathed to suggest it but.......... Deauville 😬

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 09:37:11 »
How far on what roads is the  commute?
Super Cub 125, enclosed chain, weather protection, economy...

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 09:39:12 »
  The Crosstourer is a very large and heavy bike, maybe a great bike but I'd not want to commute on something that large.
I'd look at smaller bikes, Honda cb500 or the nc range. Or if you must have shalf drive an older Honda NT 700 deauville.
I used a MZ 250 for years till it died then a cb500, it was brilliant. I did buy a BMW f650 but I found as it was almost new I didn't want to ride it on bad wet mornings so went on the CB instead! I sold it soon after, it was horrible to ride slow anyway.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 09:41:50 »
The Deauville is an excellent bike for commuting, light and enough power, bit long in the tooth now though, suppose the Honda NC750 is its younger relation, again its a bit dull but that's OK for going to work, it unfortunately has a chain (yuk).
The Honda Crossdresser is a good bike but its huge, got to be at least as heavy as the Pan, very tall too.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 09:51:11 »
I have a Yamaha XMax300.

Doddle to ride. Lots of storage under the seat and I have a top box too.

80 mpg

As a commuter I can’t see why it would not do a great job.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 11:22:17 »
Some excellent suggestions, thank you.

As I live in Cumbria it rains almost everyday, hence I’m looking for shaft drive to reduce maintenance and cleaning (my OCD is a nightmare).

The Dullville isn’t a bad idea, I don’t need huge power to commute as it’s a 60 mile round trip to work, straight up the M6 so motorways all the time. Food for thought, thank you 😊

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 11:26:55 »
The Yamaha has enclosed belt drive. Nothing to do.
Will cruise at 80 and good weather protection especially with a larger screen.
When I get asked about great all- rounders I do suggest the VStrom but the chain maintenance does not really make it an ideal commuter.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 12:48:05 »
If you're not worried about the age of the bike, Yamaha 900 Diversion is a great mile muncher, be fine on the Motorway, bullet proof engine, shaft drive, easy maintenence. If you can find a nice, low mileage, well serviced one it won't break the bank either.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 15:13:14 »
Indeed a Yamaha Diversion is a great bike. If I was closer to here (the Top Gear Track!) I would have a good look at this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202210210950565

Just random googling whilst having a pre dog walk cuppa  :)
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 15:42:02 »
Not bad, for a bike of that age that mileage is far too low, poor thing. I suppose for that cash you would just ride and not bother cleaning as it’s worth so little, not sure if I could actually treat a bike that way.

The dullville got me thinking that a touring bike might be best, lots of fairing to keep the crap off both me and the engine. I’ve had big bikes and even a Harley (for my sins) so I can deal with a big bike. Having said that small displacements are economical but for sitting at motorways big and lazy is nice… decisions decisions  :roll:

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 16:22:32 »
You obviously don't mind heavy bikes as most shafties are large and or  heavy (I do - bad back) so FJR1300?reportedly better to ride solo than an ST1300?
(All SERV Kent owned blood bikes are FJR's)
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 17:05:00 »
The v-strom 650 makes a fairly good commuter you know  :shrug:

I owned a Deauville 700 for a short while and they are more top heavy that the 650 strom, less power but a little more torque.
The shaft drive is great - 16k change the shaft oil- just make sure the hub to wheel splines have been greased every tyre change.
They are a PITA to work on as everything is behind the plastic, water pump housing tend to corrode and leak or crack if hit by stones.
A very comfy bike, very roomy for pillion and you may find someone selling a bike may be selling the larger pannier lids to make the panniers larger/wider.
Bomb proof engines - I wouldn't be put off on a higher mileage one if it's been looked after.

I also had a '96 XJ600n which was the naked version of the Diversion. a good solid bike, 50-60mpg on mixed riding. crap airbox/breather pipe design pipes fill up with emulsified oil and then dumps the lot into the airbox. rear shocks are a weak point, but simple to replace.
suffers from shit-brake syndrome, but it's small light and not very fast so they are adequate enough. If I'd have known I'd be working back in Swansea I wouldn't have sold it.
I bought it for £500 in a fairly tidy state, tyres with 100 miles on them- bought a new battery, chain and sprockets, bodged some exhaust gaskets and gave it a wash - clean pass on the MOT- sold it 4 years later with a bit more corrosion for £750 to some flat earther from Neath.  :crazy:
The Picture below - hadn't been washed in a year - was the one and only time I took the Xj600n for a pleasure ride in the 25kI had it.

SV650 and the old CB500's and CB600's Bandit 600, ER5 or ER6 are also good options.

I'd generally avoid larger capacity bikes as you'll just be paying out for the cc's over and over again.
Larger engine = more fuel burnt, more oil every change, coolant to change - a few of the older 500cc machine were oil c-o-o-led!

Then there is the weight - I'm not saying it in a heavy to push around way, that a separate and far more personal reason to not have a larger, heavier bike for commuting.
Weight does mean better road holding if your doing mega miles on motorways and full on tourers generally are the more ergonomic to sitting there for hours on end, But the outright weight mean more power to move you along, more traction required = larger wider tyres that generally cost more when they need changing and all that extra power means you're likely changing them more frequently.
Then we come to chains - the Diversion used to cost me around £60 for a JT chain and sprockets kit, I neglected the cleaning, but lube regularly and just changed it every spring around 10k mile intervals - a chain and sprocket for an FJR is likely to be around £130 for the chain alone.

Using a bike as a daily ride is also far simpler when the bike if physically smaller and lighter - you can filter through the traffic easier, bump up curbs and park in areas where a larger bike is unwieldy and risky possibly. - Outside my work, I often have difficulty parking my Varadero, but the blokes with a 650 Ninja and 125 Duke have no such issues.

I also look at the possibility of theft, if it's old, crap and generally dirty thieves will be less likely to steal it when you leave it unneatened for hours every day - thieves do tend to scope out where they are looking to steal from and the same bike parked in the same place each day shows they can pick their time to steal it.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2022, 17:28:32 »
The v-strom 650 makes a fairly good commuter you know  :shrug:

What he said :auto-dirtbike:

I've had 3 650's for pottering round town for 10 years or so. Now use the 1050 for the same but with a bit more oomph for traffic busting at speed :smirk:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2022, 17:32:31 »
If I had to commute to work I would be looking at a Scooter. Something like a Honda SH300i. I had one, it was loads of fun.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 18:42:49 »
+1 on the Honda SH300i. I had one for a while and it's not much bigger than a 125 but can hold (indicated) 80mph on the motorway.

Other than that, I've been using my V-Strom since buying it and it does the job well.

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 19:15:44 »
Lots of great feedback, thank you. I have been using the Strom to commute to work during summer months, it’s this time of year when I switch back to my car and leave the bike garaged.

I’m too fond of my bike and it’s genuinely immaculate, so I’m looking for a winter bike mainly that allows me to enjoy two wheels for longer. My Strom isn’t worth much so I could just use all year round, but I’m a bit precious of it so a mile cruncher I can genuinely use and abuse is my aim.

As mr_diver pointed out chains are cheap, so maybe a shaft drive isn’t that important. Thank you everyone, will get searching the net  :ty:

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2022, 23:48:40 »
Keep an eye out for a high mileage manual NC750. They can do huge mileages as you literally can’t thrash them due to the rev limiter and they will average mid 70s mpg sitting at 70 on a motorway. I have one with 72K on it and runs sweet as a nut. Many are put off by high mileages but some engines can take it. This is one.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2022, 09:22:27 »
Mark ...
Is that still with the original clutch ..?

I see lots of NC's and the main issues are clutches wearing quickly, snapping cam chain tensioners when they have high mileage and fuel pumps giving up.

My colleague has one with 128k on the clock but it's on its 4th clutch and second cam chain tensioner but still has original cam chain and fuel pump...
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline steveg

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2022, 10:11:08 »
I had a 2019 nc750x for a couple of years
Great commuter averaged 80 mpg ( 50 mile daily commute 80% motorway miles )
I do miss the running costs
My Vstrom 1050 does 60mpg on same commute and is just so much more enjoyable to use at the weekend / touring
If I had 2 bikes one would be a NC750X as work bike use