Author Topic: Rear shock and other questions…  (Read 4692 times)

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Re: Rear shock and other questions…
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2023, 00:02:48 »
Addzz. I admire you for what you took on, that would be a big job for me, I'm no mechanic. it's going to be interesting to see the final product and how much in total the bike has cost. I'm curious as to whether it would have been cheaper to buy a bike in good condition. I guess that if you did all the work yourself you ended up with a very good bike that you know inside out and can trust but I would have to have a mechanic do some of the work for me, valves and any other engine work so I might not have bought something financially viable.

Please let us know about the cost's and post some pictures when you have finished, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.  :bow-blue: :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Addzz

• Bike: DL650 AK7, SV650SK1
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2023, 09:27:16 »
Morning Doc,  I have been keeping a tally on costs throughout this project as I was also thinking the same, is it cost effective?

The bike was bought unseen and with no keys  via Copart auction which was of course a risk.

All the parts needed have now been bought and the total tally including the bike is at just under £1600.
I could have done it cheaper by taking a different approach like buying a used rear shock but I managed to find a new hyperpro on eBay  for a lot less than than buying it from a supplier, I didn’t really need to spend out on braided brake hose as the originals were fine and braided hoses are not cheap on the abs model.
In that £1600 I’ve included all the servicing costs, oil, filter, coolant etc but I normally service a vehicle soon as I get it so that cost could be deducted and I’ve also included the costs of parts that I already had like clutch switch, renthal grips etc (many years of owning sv650s and most parts are the same between the models.
Also the unexpected costs like replacing the seat, new hoses for the oil cooler are also included

So all in £1600 for a DL650 ak7 with 38k on the clocks.
I had a look on eBay and there is a 2008 same colour, similar overall condition with 30k miles for £2600.

But the best bit for me was the actual tinkering, I enjoy that so for me it’s a definite win

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2023, 13:55:01 »
£1600 for a bike you now know inside out (literally) I would call that a bargain, well done. Thank you for the detailed report and as you said, you could have done it a little cheaper but why scrimp when the end result is so good. All you have to do now is enjoy it.  :thumb:

Offline Addzz

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2023, 18:24:18 »
Exactly I intend on keeping the strom for a little while at least so why not spend the extra on a decent rear shock and stainless steel brake rebuild kits etc. if I like it and get on with it I may start looking for a newer one

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2023, 18:28:18 »
Please say you will keep the old one .That is history right there in your hand!  :thumb:

Offline Addzz

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2023, 20:17:10 »
Just remembered I had a little bit of a bonus when I got the Givi top box open, 2 pairs of gloves.

As a side note the Givi box was exceptionally easy to open without the key!

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2023, 00:06:43 »
I agree with nigel s 100%. It's your baby, you made it, it's going to look after you and not let you down. You can have that relationship with your bike where you trust it and it is looked after by you, so in affect, it trusts you.

It's got to be a keeper, you said in your introduction that it is a keeper.   

Fancy considering making an orphan of your bike. I'll call social services.  :icon_no:  lol lol lol lol

Offline Addzz

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2023, 19:08:01 »
The plan is to keep it but you never know what’s around the corner. I never intended to buy one in the first place.

Work is temporarily stopped at the moment due to injuring my wrist kick boxing training  :roll:  Have been told it needs 2-3 weeks rest!!

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2023, 19:37:10 »
Trust the blokes at your dojo,if it's two weeks it's two weeks.Pushing too soon only stores up future problems.
Take it easy,enjoy the down time ,all the best for a quick return. :thumb:

Offline Addzz

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2023, 21:00:09 »
Well my wrist is finally all good, took longer than expected as apparently I’m not very good at resting!

Have spent the afternoon getting the dl 95% done. Jobs today were stripping the forks, fitting the new stanchions and rebuilding them again. Replaced the rear shock and replaced the chain.

All that’s left to do now is give it a good clean and tart a few bits up like the rear rack as the paint is peeling off and put all the fairings back on then it’s MoT time

Offline Addzz

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2023, 22:14:21 »
Kept the original dog bones on  when I fitted the DL1000 shock and even with the extra height it’s fine for me

Offline Addzz

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2023, 12:07:26 »
The colour of the old fork oil is pretty grim, especially when you compare it to the new stuff in the syringe

Offline Addzz

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2023, 10:19:38 »
It never all goes quite to plan does it?

Got new tyres fitted this week so got the wheels back on yesterday, front mudguard needs refitting but one of the captive but not really captive nuts is awol but I cracked on refitting all the fairing panels and the luggage rack.
Started it up to check all the lights, horn etc are good for the mot and found I have no high beams, flick the switch and all that happens is the low beams go out, no light on the dash, pass flash doesn’t work either.
Fuse under the seat is good and there is power getting to it, large white multi plug on left side of front fairing looks fine, no signs of corrosion, burning etc.

Have ordered an eastern beaver relay kit for it as well

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2023, 13:07:20 »
Could it be the switchgear itself?
I had the flasher and high beam issue once and a good strip and clean of the switches sorted it out.

Offline Addzz

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2024, 18:27:24 »
Another update on this one, hopefully the final one.

Got all the electrical issues sorted by replacing the multi plugs for both left and right switchgears, also fitted an eastern beaver headlight kit.
Decided to check everything was working as it should before bolting all the plastics back, had crank but no start. Traced to a dead fuel pump, I got a good used one from eBay which was in much better condition and also replaced my tank which was quite rusty inside.

But it’s all running as it should be now, still have the abs light on but I’m hoping that will clear when I get it moving.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2024, 15:12:42 »
I believe the ABS light turns off at c. 3mph and above (both wheels turning)

That fuel pump looks grim.

Offline Addzz

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2024, 19:07:29 »
Well it’s taken a bit longer than I had hoped for but I got there in the end. Took it for its first mot since 2017 and it passed with no advisories.

The brand new Dunlop Mutant tyres felt good from the word go on my twisty route to the mot centre, it rode perfectly and is so comfy to ride.

Now all it needs is a really good clean

Online Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2024, 20:06:01 »
Have you any pictures of the bike ?

Offline Addzz

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2024, 20:19:24 »
I took a quick pic while I was waiting for my mot.

I’ll get some better pics once it’s at least washed

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2024, 23:03:00 »
Well done Addzz that's some excellent work  :text-bravo: