Author Topic: Preparation for a European tour.  (Read 1096 times)

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Preparation for a European tour.
« on: November 01, 2022, 21:54:14 »
Looking for opinions on what bike prep to do before a long tour,
bike will be at near 50k miles and has never had a valve check, still on original suspension but I changed the fork oil (cause the seal needed replacing)
chain and sprockets and new plugs were fitted at 25k miles, I'm using a scottoiler and the chain and sprockets seem fine to me.
question is should I just take her the way she is or maybe fit a new shock. chain and sprockets and even consider getting the valves checked now over the Winter?
bike is going well, obviously I'll make sure the basic stuff is in good order before I go like brakes tyres etc.

Online UK_Vstrom650

Re: Preparation for a European tour.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 22:13:13 »
I'd probably change chain and sprockets - I thought mine looked fine at similar mileage but the mechanic said the front sprocket was 'pretty bad' when they changed it for me. It'd be a shame for that to ruin your trip.

I'd also check the valves as I had a couple out of spec at similar mileage.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 23:39:17 »
If the chain, sprockets and suspension are in good condition, then why change them. The valves are well due by the sound of things.
If you're going on a long road trip then don't leave on well worn tyres and brakes. It'll be no fun finding a bike tyre changer in some EU backwater.
Upt'North.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 00:14:16 »
Thanks, like I said I'll make sure the tyres and brakes are in good order, I'll also carry a few spares like a clutch cable and basic tools, tyre plug kit and small compressor etc.
I forgot I fitted a new front sprocket after about 12,500 miles on this set of chain and sprockets so that might extend the life of this set a bit more, the teeth look fine and not getting hooked. A new set isn't that expensive though and I might replace them just in case before I go.
I think I'm more worried about the shock if anything, I rarely ride 2 up but the Mrs intends to maybe fly out and join me to tour for a week, so the bike will be more loaded than usual for a while with the extra luggage and being 2 up.
Last thing I want is for the shock to collapse in the middle of nowhere. Looking at those YSS shocks on ebay, probably not the best but better than the stocker with 50 k miles on it anyway I'd imagine.
Thing about getting the valves checked is I'd like to see it actually being done as I don't trust bike shops to be honest. If I keep the bike much longer I'll have to get it done though at some stage.

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 01:31:43 »
If you have time over winter, it's not that hard to check the valves yourself - you just need time to remove the tank/airbox/drain the coolant etc. If any need adjusting, you've pretty  much done the work, it's probably just ordering the correct shims that'll take time.

Excellent write-up here - which is what I followed over a period during lock-down https://blacklabadventures.com/2012/02/18/2007-dl-650-valve-check-and-adjustment/

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 05:50:11 »
In addition to the highly recommended BlackLabs valve adjustment guide, another valve check / adjustment guide that I think is also worth a look at https://circlenz.co.nz/Suzuki-v-strom-DL650-valve-check-and-adjustment/

As far as bike prep, don't leave on tour without first taking your bike for a local test ride. Any hidden issues should reveal themselves, thus giving you time to repair if necessary and peace of mind that your ride is 100% good to go.  Its not fun trying to sort out a motorcycle related problem while on tour plus trying to locate a knowledgeable / reliable  mechanic in a foreign town / country.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 08:55:58 »
If your battery is old then it's probably going to be worthwhile to change it next spring.
Upt'North.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 10:58:30 »
At 50k miles have you thought about bearings, wheels/cush drive & steering. Although mine felt OK I changed them at 30k & they were shot!
I'd put a new chain & sprockets on personally.
I changed my shock at around 40k (it was on the way out) to a YSS and found that the standard YSS shock isn't good enough for two up riding. I even fitted a stiffer spring & it still bottomed out occasionally.... but I'm a fat bastard & the good lady is no size 8 model :whistle: together (without luggage) we were putting close to 27/28 stones on the bike. With an upgraded spring you might be OK at around 23/24 stones but I'm just guessing.
I know it'll cost more but I'd have one built to your & pillion weight. Adding a remote preload also adds more to the cost but if you're swapping between solo/pillion/luggage regular it's well worth it as the 'ring' on the shock is difficult to get to & turn on the V-Strom.
Remember the money you spend now isn't just for the trip it'll last for thousands more miles after & you'll have to do it all soon anyway. 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 20:25:50 »
I changed the head bearings for taper rollers. It’s amazing how the handling goes off over time and you don’t notice until you think that its you who having issues on roundabouts. Remember you can get a V strom serviced anywhere in Europe, so if you need things like chain and sprockets or tyres you will be able to get locally.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 18:02:51 »
I must check out all the bearings etc, the cush drive is also something I hadn't thought off, all good advice.
Just reading the other thread here about brakes and it made me think, this bike is still on the original brake pipes,
A new rear shock and an upgrade to braided brake lines would be a big improvement I'm sure along with all the other suggestions.

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 18:47:34 »
Keep an eye out on HEL's website if you're after braided lines - they usually do a 50% off promotion in December.