Author Topic: Iron But Assoc  (Read 1292 times)

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
Iron But Assoc
« on: October 31, 2022, 10:16:30 »
I passed my motorcycle test in 1976 and have been riding on and off ever since.

In the last couple of years, since retiring I have started moto camping (yes, I have stayed at the Bikes Campsite and it was excellent) and have started to ride longer and longer distances, within the constraints imposed by my endurance to sit on my 650 VStrom.

A couple of weeks ago, on a very spur of the moment decision I finally made the trip to France that I have had planned since 2018 as I wanted to visit the graves of two great uncles killed in WW1. Availability of ferries, time constraints and such meant that did this run as an out and back. Home to Newhaven to Dieppe to The Somme to Dieppe to Newhaven to home. 35 hours and around 600 miles, although obviously not in the saddle the whole time.

Shortly after getting back, someone I watch on YouTube (in the USA) did an iron but (had to spell but with one t otherwise the software changes it to arse) ride of 1000 miles in under 24 hours, this peaked my interest and so I went to find the UK arm of the IBA.

Now, I am active on a lot of different forums and I usually follow the premise that if I haven't got anything good to say, I don't say it, but I want to see if the impression I have been left with of the IBA (UK) is the correct one.

First impression, reading all their guidance notes is that they assume everyone cheats or is a liar. If you don't have a receipt to prove you were at a place... you weren't. I have done the four corners ( Lands End, St Davids, JOG and the Ness) albeit not in one ride, and I can tell you that you will not be able to get a receipt at The Ness in Lowestoft because there is nothing there, it is at the back of a huge industrial estate. You may be able to get something nearby but the implication in the IBA notes is that they will take that receipt as the point you travelled to. Also, good luck getting a receipt at Lands End before 10.00am because nothing is open, I could go on but I have made my point.

The next thing is that when assessing your ride they will join the dots that are your receipts using the shortest possible route. So if your IB ride takes you through Wales and you don't need to fill up with fuel, you had better stop somewhere and buy something, otherwise they will assume you just hacked up the M6.

And while we are on receipts, they must show the time and address of the place where you bought fuel / chocolate / Red Bull. If they show a company head office address you could be in trouble. Last, if your ride is assessed as being pukka and you qualify for a certificate, then they are £25!

I won't go on, I think I have more than made my point.

I am sure the IBA don't mean to come across as anything other than welcoming and inclusive, but my eyes didn't read the web site and notes that way. I may well do a 1000 mile ride, the thought of it intrigues me, but I won't be collecting receipts on the way and I certainly won't be submitting anything to the IBA.

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Iron But Assoc
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 10:23:23 »
Sadly this is what happens the second you make anything even slightly competitive, it attracts all the over-competitive people and, if they're not winning, they will find a way that you aren't either.
Best to just post your ridiculously long rides on here, everyone will assume you did what you say you did but will probably just ask why :)

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 10:59:34 »
Paging User650........

Offline NeilM

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 11:46:59 »
I think that's probably a fair assessment.

I am the regional secretary of a small airgun shooting association and almost every year we have to make little changes to the rules in order to close loopholes we didn't know existed until someone exploited them.

Also many years ago I used to help out a bloke who did hillclimb and sprint events in a 1600cc (car) class. One season another driver started racing who no one had ever seen before. He raced the entire season, won the championship and immediately put his car up for sale, we sent a 'secret shopper' up to look at the car and bloke confessed what we had long since worked out... he was running a 1700cc engine.

I'll have to fire up google and look at some possible routes.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 12:33:46 »
Ride where you want and when you want.
Who needs an f'in sustifficate.
Upt'North.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 12:41:39 »
I'm with uptnorth, do the the things you want to do, don't worry about other people authenticating it.
Me and my lad have a LEJOG planned, doubt I'll bother with official stamps etc, will just post a few pics/notes for anyone that's interested.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 14:56:55 »
If a bit of paper is important...
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 15:40:00 »
What's wrong with a GPS tracker..? My one tracks my every movement ..  :shrug:

I believe Google maps on Android tracks your movements every day , it's a default setting on your phone.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline NeilM

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 15:50:59 »
Thanks you Mr Nick, I shall treasure it forever.

I do like a certificate, with shooting they kind of remind me of a good day out, at least they do if I win one. As far as a 1000 mile ride is concerned... not sure that's a thing I would forget so I really don't need one to remind me of getting a sore arse.

Kwackerboy, I use a Beeline and that records my every move, even if I stray off the planned route.

Whatever, it's of no nevermind as I am unlikely to get involved in IBA.

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 15:54:39 »
To be fair, nobody's forcing you to join. Nobody's forcing you to tide 1,000 miles within a timeframe and with proof.
Those who do these rides seem to enjoy it.
Any event of this type normally requires some verification. Think of it like orienteering, where participants clip tickets at various waypoints. There may have been a few creative members in the IBA at some point to make them bring these checks in. The cheats are only cheating themselves, especially pointless if you've to buy your own serstificate at £25!
1,000 miles in 24 hrs is not for me, doesn't sound pleasurable. 600 in a day was my longest ride, done out of necessity. Only a week off work, holidaying in the Ardeche.
User650 and Holmsey have done a few. Once you get past the (probably fairly few and basic) rules, it should be just you, bike, satnav, clock. Fun if you like that sort of thing.

Slightly less pointless than geocaching; Somebody hides a piece of Lego under a rock, then tells the whole internet where it is. Others come and "find' it, and are so chuffed with themselves the post a selfie with said Lego.

Offline NeilM

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 16:07:22 »
Yes that's very true Rusty and it was not my intention to insult people who undertake IBA rides, especially as they describe the 1000 mile ride as an introduction. :shock:

I also understand the need for rules and as I have said I have been at the other end of people threading tiny needles through the rule book in order to exploit 'vulnerabilities' in the roolz.

It was more the tone of the website / rules I was questioning and wanted others opinions on it as I thought I had got the intent all wrong.

I really enjoyed the four hour ride home from Newhaven in the dark, and I did take the fastest route home, that was what kind of set me on this train of thought.

Home to Avemore and back would be just over 1000 miles and I could do almost all of it off the motorway network.

Or maybe the four points.... on a C90. I mean Teapot One did it on a Sinnis 125.

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 16:09:38 »
1,000 is the "introduction"?? F**k that for a game of soldiers, I'm off to track down some Lego!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 16:13:01 »
Just deleted my post as a big red banner came up to say another reply had been posted. I read it and my post was basically what Rusty Nuts said.
Without repeating too many points, the one about you're only cheating yourself is one that I fully agree with.
Although I wouldn't call the IB a competition, more of a personal goal, I would say. However any competition or organised event where you are aiming for a 'result' must surely have rules and those rules must be quite strict if the 'competitor' is on his/her/their own.
If you don't like the rules don't do it.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Old Biker

• Bike: DL650A L3
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 08:38:50 »
@NeilM
How do you get on with the Beeline, have been thinking about getting one to replace my expired satnav  :old:

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 08:54:55 »
You know what you have done, that is all that matters.

I have ridden very long distances in all weathers and if you don't believe that I am that foolish, then the problem is yours.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline NeilM

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 10:16:25 »
Old Biker.

I get on with the Beeline very well. You do need to learn how it works and the latest versions may be a little better at telling you when to get ready for a turn but I have been all over the UK using mine and also recently my quick dash into France.

I run the app on an old retired iPhone 5 and tend to plan most of my longer routes using google and then converting them to GPX. But I have done a fair few day rides using the app, as that uses google anyway.

I have mine mounted on the screen of my bike using a sticky pad clip in mount as it means I can see it easily while riding, as looking down at the bars, while 'lost' in the rain is not a prospect that appealed. I also have the phone hooked up to a USB port on the bike as the app will eat the battery on my phone in about two hours.

I have found the customer service at Beeline to be really good. Every time I have had a question they come straight back and when a mounting arm recently broke (after 10,000 miles) they sent me a replacement with no issues.

Offline Old Biker

• Bike: DL650A L3
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2022, 14:28:45 »
Many thanks Neil, will need to give it a proper look  :ty:

Offline Landsurfer74

• Bike: Suzuki V-Strom, MZ TS 125/150 x 2.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2022, 15:36:42 »
Car park tickets ... there’s one at the Ness we’ve used car park tickets on long distance cycle rides as proof  .... saves having to get marshals to turn out of bed at 3am.
Per Ardua Ad Astra.

"There are only three sports: Cycle Time Trials, Motorcycle Racing, and Mountaineering; ... all the rest are merely games.​"

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2022, 23:17:22 »
Don't really want to comment Rusty, but to say the end game for me is providing much needed money for the Royal British Legion.
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline falkland bomber

• Bike: Kawasaki Versy's 1000 Grand Tourer
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2022, 12:36:47 »
Hello

I have done the Iron arse challenge you are all missing the point it is to raise funds for the RBL you can cheat but you are only cheating yourself.

It's not Ness point in Lowestoft it was Tesco's however I did the northern route first stop Birch services on M62 then the slog to Morrison in Fort William where you will no doubt need fuel for the next stop Tesco in Wick ( a real killer when you reach Inverness, and it says 100 miles to Wick)

From Wick to Dreghorn  services again another fuel stop then back to Squires.

I had to stop at Newcastle as I had severe cramp.

I am chuffed to have done it raised over £400 for the RBL I know it's not for everyone but don't criticise until you have attempted this and I will be doing it again .
Old Bald Soldier