Author Topic: Head light help  (Read 589 times)

Offline Moggy

• Bike: DL650 L0
  • Location: HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE THE OTHER END OF THE M62 AND A BIT FURTHER
Head light help
« on: October 23, 2022, 16:30:41 »
Hi I have looked through various posts but can't seem to find the correct one. I have an intermittent fault with headlights 2010 650. The headlights will work fine then turn bars they go off and on. I have stripped switch cleaned contacts tested every cable in switch for continuaty found a couple abit dodgy white yellow and white so replaced cables cut back and put new cable in worked fine for a couple of days then problem started again. Got another lefthand switch from a breaker fitted that and problem remains yellow plugs cleaned with contact cleaner reassembled turn bars light on off try wiggling plug and bars straight light on and off. Does any one have any idea of any culprit wires or other connectors?? Have even tried continuaty test when plugged together seems fine getting desperate and angry with it at the same time helppp should have ploughed in to the focus that pulled out on me on the way home on Friday that would have sorted problem  lol thanks.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Head light help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 16:47:50 »
Have you looked at the start button ..? The headlight circuit runs through it and when pressed to start the bike turns out the headlights to save power. 
The contacts can sometimes burn out.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Moggy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 18:31:12 »
Hi forgot to mention started that side first all contacts good and cleaned I read post about right switch so started there. When you have plug for left switch in your hand you can wiggle it around and light will go on and off mite have to chop plugs off and solder together as a last resort was hoping there was a common wire that breaks and could try the odd one before getting brutal with the side cutters😂

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 18:48:34 »
Then it sounds like the pins are loose in the block, I normally give them a clean and a little twist so they connect better.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 23:05:15 »
I had the same issue a long time ago.
I'd go over a bump, lights out, another bump lights on, turn the bars, lights out...

There are a few connectors in the loom leading from the bars down and around the the tripple trees.

Some of the contacts in them were starting to corrode.
Cleaned and acf50'd and never gave me any more issues.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 17:33:37 »
    There is a terminal block in front of the airbox above the radiator.I have seen several instances of this being corroded very badly especially the orange wire.Tank off,airbox off.Good luck.
Ian Mc.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 18:01:52 »
A friend had the exact same fault with her Gladys and I suspect there's significant cross over in componentry. It was the aforementioned block connector under the tank on riders right I believe. One of the pins had been pulled part out of the block so wouldn't connect properly when the block was pushed together. Good clean and refurb and it's been fine ever since.

Offline Moggy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 19:07:52 »
Thanks have put it back together and I gave all the connectors a good clean no signs of corrosion but once together I pushed all the pins on each side of connector with a steel pick then gave a liberal spray with acf 50 spray worked fine on this mornings wet commute so fingers crossed its fixed. Thanks for all your Replies and advice   :happydance: