Author Topic: Rear Brake  (Read 1396 times)

Offline tonkie

• Bike: Yamaha “Fizzy” , Suzuki GT185, Honda cb500x and a Push Bike
Rear Brake
« on: October 23, 2022, 07:01:28 »
Hi
In my introduction reply I mentioned about the rear brake on my V-Strom and said it was crap, the thread was locked, so nobody could add to it.
So I’m asking again here, how crap are they, I have been reassured from 2 garages, one being a main dealer, that it’s fine.
Just wanted to get a general census from owners what they think.

Like I mentioned in my introduction this is the first venture into a modern bike, well apart from my Fizzy back in 1976.
So any input would be appreciated

Ta

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Rear Brake
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 07:30:32 »
The vstrom 650 brakes can be described as a bit crap overall.
The rear particularly has a woodern feel with little inital bite.

Many will recommend various solutions, mainly a strip and clean for reassurance and a personal preferance change of pads. But little improvement will be achived unless there is currently an issue.

If I go back to a 650 strom at some point, top of my to do list is a front caliper swap to tray and alleviate the "crap brake syndrome"

Ride Coordinator

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 08:39:14 »
the vstrom front brakes are barely adequate but the rear is as good as the one on my BMW gs was.
maybe yours just needs a strip and clean.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 09:06:20 »
    The only problem with the Vstrom brakes are the old kitchen tiles that Suzuki call “brake pads”,just replace with new EBC HH pads and like me and lots of others on this forum, you will have the brakes as they should be.
Ian Mc.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 09:07:57 »
The rear brake on my 2015 650 is superb, best rear brake I've ever had. Front is a bit spongy but not terrible, I'll investigate that when I eventually change the pads.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 09:13:14 »
My 2012 650 developed a 'notchy' feel, where the pedal felt fully depressed until I increased pressure past the 'notch' at which point it worked fine. A strip and clean of caliper, pedal, pivot and the action was smooth, effective and notch-free

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 09:36:26 »
I'm with Ianmc on the EB HH pads.
I use the rear brakes a lot. I'm two up mostly & roll off the throttle early & use the rear brake to scrub the  the rest of the speed off. Even two up it works fine for me & since fitting EBC pads, after the OEM, I can feel the difference.
As the others have said a strip & clean & try different pads & see how you go.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline tonkie

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 10:43:06 »
Thanks for all the replies and advice, first off I’m not able to strip and check myself, so it would have to be done by a garage

So many different answers, it’s just clouded the water even more   :roll:  as it’s only got 4500K on the clock I should imagine they are original pads,

I’m fairly happy with what the 2 garages said, both went on a test ride, it was just that I’m surprised how poor in my opinion they are,  maybe I’m just expecting better from a modern bike and certainly better than my 2 classics?

I will persevere a little longer to see if I get use to them, if not, in the garage it will go for a replacement set of the mentioned pads

Ta

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 11:13:42 »
EBC HH brakepads and you will have your brake in "working order" :D

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 12:19:12 »
Pad choice depends on your driving style, everyone seems to recommend HH pads, but I've found GG pads suit me, but then I don't approach a bend at 100 mph and jam the brakes on with 10 feet to go  :)

Offline tonkie

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 12:26:07 »
:Edit:

That should be 4500 miles not 4500K, couldn’t edit in the post :shock:

Max speed over here is 35mph, so I should be OK on them then  :grin:

Offline Addzz

• Bike: DL650 AK7, SV650SK1
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 08:59:30 »
I’m new to the vstrom but not new to Suzuki brakes having owned several sv650 over the years and to be honest they’ve always been OK ish.
Pad choice does play a part as does making sure it’s working properly, changing to braided brake line might help as well

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 12:56:52 »
Tonkie, having chased the illusive improvement of brake feel/bite/power on classic bikes, I know from experience there's not a lot you can do. Yes, if you want to change calipers, discs, lines, pads, m/c's etc then you will eventually find something that works for you.
But on your STrom I take it you just want a bit more bite, changing the lines will give you little or nothing because your lines are pretty new anyway. Get it booked in and have the caliper cleaned and the recommended pads fitted, but only if you can't live with it.
My 650 is pretty weak on the rear but in conjunction with the front it stops just fine. Although if I was changing the rear pads or just cleaning the caliper I would probably change to the HH. After around 5,500 miles my pads are still like new and the discs don't look like they've ever been squashed by pads, this is probably the problem, perhaps the HH would help.
Hope you work it out.
Upt'North.

Offline TimV

• Bike: DL1000 K3
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 17:08:56 »
:Edit:

That should be 4500 miles not 4500K, couldn’t edit in the post :shock:

Max speed over here is 35mph, so I should be OK on them then  :grin:

If it has always lived a gentle 35mph life then the pads could well be glazed over, it's a pretty simple job to whip them out and clean them with some emery paper. Bleeding the fluid may well help too. 

Also they may be just contaminated from road grime, one thing you could try to clear that is getting the brake hot by riding a short distance with your foot on the brake pedal til there is a sizzle when you wet the disc. Let it cool & the brake will likely feel a lot better.

Offline tonkie

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 16:51:41 »
Thanks for all the added replies, as I’ve had it ridden by 2 garages and both said it’s fine and the fact that we are slow pace here and I’ve intention of traveling off the rock anytime soon, I’m going to leave as it is and hopefully I’ll adjust, but when it’s due for it’s next service I’ll get the recommended replacement pads done then, that’s unless things change

Again, thanks for all of your input, much appreciated

Cheers
Tonkie