Author Topic: Finally ridden it... 2014 1000  (Read 643 times)

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
Finally ridden it... 2014 1000
« on: September 04, 2022, 21:08:07 »
So...although I have owned it 6 plus weeks, I haven't actually ridden it till today..
What with doing the few jobs to make it better and work and life getting in the way, it's been the first opportunity to use it... (Adding to insurance and taxing it also)
So...only knocked out 100 miles or so.. some roads I am sort of familiar with having ridden the Varadero on them on a couple of weeks ago..
Back to back my first impressions compared to the 'Dero...
Smoother engine.
Smoother gearchange
Pulls more cleanly if not quite as rawly as it seems to go a bit flat after 7000 where the dero pulls to the red line.. it doesn't feel faster, although I guess it probably is in real world situations as it is smoother..
Although.. a few times when on a roundabout or coming out of a junction the throttle response gave a harsh snap when coming back on the throttle.. I need to look into the correct setting of the throttle cables etc..
Brakes, I don't feel are quite as good (it's got EBC in it and I have never found them to be the best in the past), so a change of pads is on the cards.. (maybe even hoses too), the "feel" isn't there although do pull up OK...
I liked the linked brakes of the dero, so need to get used to the rear brake not being as effective or as usefull..
Fuel economy seems to be a lot better...
Suspension is firmer but absorbs the bumps still, although it's set to factory settings and I had to go 2 clicks up on the rear preload and 3 clicks up on the damping to remove the slight wallow at the rear once it was warmed up. Prob to be expected with 15k and 8 years old..
Turn in and low speed manoeuvrability nice..
I like the way it will change direction mid corner when you need to adjust your line..
So far wind protection seemed good with the taller Givi screen.. (reset to the lowest of the 3 bolt holes and tilted back), although it was warm and needed the fresh air to get to me, I don't expect it to have the drizzle/spray protection of the dero..
Seat is definitely more comfortable..
Mirrors are not so great.. need to be out further..
Stability seems good even with the panniers and topbox on.. (not that the dero is unstable now the rear shock has been rebuilt, wasn't great before).
Michelin road6 seem to have bedded in nicely and already reducing the chicken strips to the first marker (rear).
Not ridden in the dark yet, so can't comment on the headlight etc..
Did find myself in a gear too high when slowing down and not getting into 6th on the open road a few times.. I think that's to do with it being geared taller than the dero so listening to rpm sounds right to what I am used to..

So, overall, it is better and will be better for me in the long run.. I think once I have put some more miles on it (850 mile weekend round Wales etc like I did with he dero) I shall have a better picture and be more in tune with it..

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Finally ridden it... 2014 1000
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 21:36:04 »
On most points I would agree fully with you.  :thumb:

I did a full brake overhaul on the Vara last year and the EBC pads work far better with EBC disks than the pads ever do with any other make of disk... tailored to each other really.
I tend to go for Ferodo Platinum as a first choice for pads.

Having riden every generation of V-strom I would say the only comparable model for engine character to the Varadero is the classic shape K2-K8 1000cc.
Later models and the 650cc bikes are more refined, smoother but lacking in the thrills that come from the raw grunt of the TL1000 and VTR1000 engines.

Ride Coordinator

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 08:05:02 »
Everything sounds about normal for a 2014 on vstrom thou apart from the brakes and seat. My brakes are strong, very strong. Perhaps you need new pads and deglaze the discs, I use DP pads. As for the seat I find it a torture device and was removed many years ago!
They do run out of puff over 7k rpm and they do sometimes snap on opening the throttle no matter what you do. I've a a TRE-X and a throttle tamer fitted but it still does it occasionally.
Enjoy the new ride.

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:39:45 »
Love my 2015 DL1000, SO much better than the Gen1 I had a while back for my Adv bike comparison, both were on similar mileages when purchased, the Gen2 is deceptively 'fast' and has no need to rev her out as the ooodles of grunt are low down on tap, right where you need it. Recent trip to the Vosges Mountains even with panniers and top box meant I could really enjoy the twisties avg 200+ miles a day on planned mountain routes, the luggage did not interfere with my fun at all, brakes were faultless, no wallow or issues from the suspension, took the motorway back to the Tunnel on the last day no buffetting with the Givi and replacement mirrors....for me a cost effective great bike with 57mpg avg over the 1700mile trip. Washed and ACF50'd so looks like a new bike again, finish is better quality too (no Winter rides for me). For EU forays I purchased the tall seat as my knees were hurting with the standard seat after long days, better knees and a better position for me on the bike too, standard seat felt like I was sitting in the bike....however both become painful on the buttocks for me around the 150 mile/few hours mark so I take a break/have a coffee etc

Offline AdvntureSi

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 12:02:50 »
Yeah, I need to get a decent trip under my belt.. 100 miles isn't enough..
May have to look into the taller seat option..
I think the main difference is the "rawness" of the Dero over the "smoothness" of the Strom.. as you say.. you don't notice quite how quick it is as it's just getting on with it..

I am wondering about speaking to Hilltop garage about one of their adjustments though.. might make it feel a little more special..
I do need to go through and make a few tweaks and make sure everything is set up correctly..

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 07:28:39 »
Do you know if your Vee2 has had any of of the recalls done?  For example see https://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/01/11/manufacturers/Suzuki/Suzuki-v-strom-1000-recalled-for-three-separate-electrical-issues/.
Perhaps the link https://suzukicycles.com/recalls may help confirm if any recalls have been recorded against your bike VIN.

Offline AdvntureSi

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 23:23:33 »
Hello. No idea, but worth a check..
On the other hand all the electrical connectors I have seen so far have plenty of grease on them, unless this was done at the factory..
I was going to have the tank off to inspect the air filter and check/set up the throttles at some point.. so can check that wiring..

That link sends me to the USA site.. that won't help me in the UK will it??
Will see what local Suzuki dealer says..
Cheers
Si