Author Topic: Throttle tube replacement / cleaning  (Read 530 times)

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Throttle tube replacement / cleaning
« on: August 25, 2022, 19:39:57 »
Giving my bike the quick once over, noticed that my throttle side heated grip was loose. Not a problem! I thought. Also noticed that the throttle was a slight bit sticky, if you slowly opened it it would stick open (but then opened fully and it'd spring back).

Took the hand guard off, slid the grip off, cleaned off the humungous amount of gunk that the previous owner had used to attach the grip (seriously, it was peeling off), and noticed that a 5p piece of the throttle tube is missing at the end (facing the lever when throttle closed). It looks like it's also got, what can only be described as, mud, under the tube itself.

"I'll just wind off the adjuster at the handlebar end and disconnect the cables, and slide it off" - I thought.

Turns out that the adjuster at the handlebar end is wound fully in, and I can't actually get to the adjusters at the throttle body end without removing the tank...

Which then leads to the question - does anyone know a source for just a throttle tube? I'm a bit loathed to buy a new OEM tube + grip for £20 just to cut the grip off, as my heated grips do still work. Part of me wants to replace it as it's potentially 40k miles old, but at the same time the rest of the tube looks OK (externally). I just don't really want to be taking the tank off again if possible!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Throttle tube replacement / cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 20:08:10 »
£20 for a throttle tube and grip is a bargain..

You don't have to cut the new grip off, just slide a long thin screw driver or pick under the rubber grip then spray some brake cleaner or WD40 under it.
Move the screwdriver / pick around creating more space, spraying more will eventually make the rubber grip loose so you can pull it off intact. 

You should be able to release the cables on the throttle bodies , they are on the left hand side just inside the frame ...

The pictures show where they attach to and the arrow is pointing to the front .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 20:22:39 »
£20 for a throttle tube and grip is a bargain..

You don't have to cut the new grip off, just slide a long thin screw driver or pick under the rubber grip then spray some brake cleaner or WD40 under it.
Move the screwdriver / pick around creating more space, spraying more will eventually make the rubber grip loose so you can pull it off intact. 

You should be able to release the cables on the throttle bodies , they are on the left hand side just inside the frame ...

The pictures show where they attach to and the arrow is pointing to the front .

I've found a couple on the bay after searching that are listed for GSXR-600/750 (but search to the same part number as the V-strom), including a set of both throttle + left grip (so can just bin off the very worn heated grips for the time being). I'll have another look for access tomorrow when it's a bit lighter (and I've cooled off a bit), just studying the Haynes manual at the moment to see if there's anything else I need to know.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 20:53:42 »
Don't know if these are the same as yours as they're off a 2008 650 but some parts have remained compatable across the years.
Free to you other than the postage if they are.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 23:40:15 »
I love this site   :grin:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 01:39:16 »
Don't know if these are the same as yours as they're off a 2008 650 but some parts have remained compatable across the years.
Free to you other than the postage if they are.

Your offer is amazingly generous thank you. After trawling the forums, and looking at parts diagrams and pictures, it appears that they may be compatible (the only difference being the design), both 2008 and 2017 throttle tubes, looking at pictures online, have 57110-29G0 stamped on them. If they're not for some reason, then they can go back up on here for postage to help someone else out.

I'll send you a PM 👍

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 21:41:50 »
So, today with a fresh set of eyes, I set about removing this damned throttle tube. Managed to squeeze a spanner up the front of the engine and back towards the "Push" cable lock nut, which I managed to undo enough that I could then wind the nut up the cable end with fingers, and then loosen the push cable. This allowed me to then remove the cable at the throttle tube end.

First check - the throttle cables. Both seem to be free and moving as they should. So hopefully the problem is under the tube.

The bar under the tube, well, yeah. Full of brown muddy (WD-40 smelling) stuff, along with a zit of something extremely hard. Funnily enough, the zit was sitting almost exactly where the broken piece of tube is located. With some elbow grease and sandpaper I've knocked the rust and that "zit" back to a level where I can't feel it with a nail, also cleaned inside the end of the bar. Cleaned the old tube out and it spins like nobodies business so I hope that's the bulk of the work done.

Just awaiting the arrival of the throttle tube from endintears's very generous offer and hopefully will be back on the road!