Author Topic: riderweight/spring?  (Read 791 times)

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
riderweight/spring?
« on: August 21, 2022, 19:43:52 »
does anyone know the rider weight the oem rear spring is designed for on a 2017model DL650.  thanks from a rider with a sore backside.  :grin:

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: riderweight/spring?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 20:52:40 »
I don't know if there's a maximum limit on just the rider.  :shrug:  The bike should be capable of taking approximately twice it's dry weight, around 400 kg total, wet. That includes 20 litres of petrol in the tank, any extras fitted like centre stand, engine bars, racks and luggage etc.

There is damping and preload on the rear shock and it would be calculated to cope with variable loads. Most weight would be two up and luggage fitted too for touring.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 15:47:04 »
Why do you need to know the weight the OEM shock spring is designed for?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 18:09:26 »
Like all Japanese bikes they're sprung on the light side. I had good susscess using a Hyperpro spring on my 1000. Before the Hyperpro was fitted I needed half the available preload solo but after the preload was at zero solo.  My oe shock lasted 24k miles like this then I bought a Wilbers shock which I've never been 100% happy with (sits the rear to high)  The Wilbers has a 100nm (575lbs) spring for a 90kg rider.

Offline sillyboy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 18:18:52 »
thanks for that. unfortuneately mine is a 650.I was asking because a spring designed for a specific rider's weight give a smoother ride and my bacside is sore after 1/2hr in the saddle even with an airhawk. my preload sag is set up correctly and the damper set for best comfort/handling.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 18:43:42 »
If your arse is sore after 1/2 hour then something's a miss. I cope with up to 2 hours without too much discomfort.

Are you asking because you're a heavier biker.....?
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 19:23:53 »
I may be wrong here but if you are able to set the sag up correctly for your weight (& pillion if necessary) then I doubt it's the spring that's causing your problems.
Mine is a gen 1 & I believe the suspension on the gen 2 is better? I'm not the lightest of chaps & the good lady isn't a size 8 but the shock on mine was more than adequate for around 40k miles mostly two up before I changed it. I put a Nitron on it and although the ride & handling is better my arse still gets 'uncomfortable' at around an hour & a half, the same as on the original shock.
Mick

Offline sillyboy

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 19:58:27 »
not a heavier biker, 83kgs plus all clothing etc..  the sag only sets up how good the suspension works not the comfort. maybe at 76 I'm just getting too old. :roll:

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 20:57:20 »
Quote, "the sag only sets up how good the suspension works not the comfort".
Yes, that's my point, why do you think it's the suspension that's causing you the trouble? Unless it's bottoming out, which I doubt.
I would be looking at the seat comfort & ways to make it better. There's plenty of posts on here about using 3D seat covers, sheepskins etc. all at sensible money, then, if they don't work well enough you can spend your hard earned on a remodelled seat, different foam or gel insert?
You say you've used an Airhawk, have you got too much air in it? They work best almost flat! 

Mick

Offline sillyboy

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 06:55:48 »
thanks Mick, yes my airhawk is almost flat. I reckon I will just have to take a break every hour  or so. that is probably long enough for my attention span at my age anyway. :)

Online Upt North

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 09:26:14 »
I think you need a better seat/seat alteration. The standard suspension is more than capable of suspending a rider and pillion. But if it's set too hard it won't be comfy.
I've got a 2017 650, the standard seat isn't good. Not for me at least.
The filling is very soft and again, for me, it makes you want to sit back almost into a strange backward slope in the seat.
I would talk to SaddleCraft in South Shields and listen to what they have to say.
Good luck.
Upt'North.