Author Topic: UK Stickers  (Read 861 times)

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
UK Stickers
« on: August 16, 2022, 17:39:14 »
So. We are now required to purchase and apply a UK sticker (not GB, as was the norm) to our vehicles should we wish to visit our EU cousins to spend time and our money in their country.
As I was not averse to the GB sticker, I (despite questioning the lunacy of the change),   :crazy: will not flout any laws or rules which may impinge on my motorcycling pleasure of D roads 'sur le continent'.   :dance:
But, and you knew there would be a 'but', even with a slightly smaller motorcycle UK sticker, there seems to be no place to affix the aforementioned appendage to the rear of my V-Strom!
Yes, it will of course be fine on a top box, but I do not travel every day with one fitted. Perhaps I'll need to fix it to the back of my jacket and hope it doesn't blow off.  :shrug:
Also, and you knew there would be an 'also' as well, I have seen over this last weekend, vehicles, including motorcycles from Nederlands, Italy, France, Germany and Sweden driving happily on our roads without a care and without any kind of sticker displaying their country of origin. Not one!
Perhaps they know that our law enforcement is too busy elsewhere to worry about such a small detail, after all, you can generally see the country of origin on the number plate itself - oh, just like you can on GB (or UK) number plates.  :icon_exclaim:
Is this just another EU 'we must make them pay for their desertion', or have they purchased the world wide rights to be the only ones who can print and supply UK stickers?  :stirpot:
What to do? Wave 2 fingers as we cruise along their roads and hope we don't get fined €1,000,000?  :icon_no: Or try our best to affix the sticker somehow alongside our GB/Union Flag labelled number plate as best we can???  :shock:
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
Re: UK Stickers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 18:11:19 »
Just a small uk sticker where the gb one used to be at bottom left of the plate.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 18:38:54 »
<snip> Is this just another EU 'we must make them pay for their desertion', or have they purchased the world wide rights to be the only ones who can print and supply UK stickers?  <snip>

No, neither. It's because the UK government decided they wanted people to use UK instead of GB.

"Previously, cars driven abroad had to display a number plate, sticker or sign with the letters 'GB', for Great Britain, but the rules changed in September 2021, at the request of the UK Government." (from: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what's-on/travel-tourism/gb-uk-sticker-France-holland-24721122)

"The current sticker used on the back of vehicles will no longer be valid from September 28, the United Nations has outlined. Instead, motorists will have to replace it with a UK sticker to drive on foreign roads.
The United Nations said it had received “a notification stating that the United Kingdom is changing the distinguishing sign that it had previously selected for display in international traffic on vehicles registered in the United Kingdom, from ‘GB’ to ‘UK’”.
(From: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/gb-car-sticker-to-be-replaced-by-new-uk-version/)

Offline Uchujin

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 19:07:20 »
Can I get one that says:

SORRY
UK

?

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 20:05:43 »
Champy 72, we (Europeans) still want you to come and join us on our relatively vehicle free roads, especially France but we didn't ask you to leave, a slender majority did not knowing what was coming. Since then your government have decided, the UK and NI became a 'third country' like the US, China and a whole lot of others to whom the same 'rules' apply.

Europe are not making you 'pay for your desertion', just a case of foot got in the way when the gun went off.

I suppose you can always rejoin and get rid of all the stupidity that leaving has caused.

But what's done is done.  :shrug:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 10:47:41 »
The number of people on my trip through Europe to Georgia who looked at my sticker and asked me "Ukrainian?" (Its actually UA)
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 10:54:59 »
Yep, it was our governments attempt to re-assure Northern Ireland that we weren't going to chuck them under the bus, just after we'd chucked them under the bus ;) I guess it proably should have been UK all along but the PR dynamics have changed a bit on the Emerald Isle of late....
All of our group had the small number plate style UK stickers on our last trip. That being said we sat in the usual queue of vehicles at Folkestone with any, all and indeed none of the available options on display. Nobody ever bothered to look or check, I massively suspect this is one of those "You were driving attrociously but we've got nothing official to throw at you so what can we find" items, a bit like a tinted visor in the UK.
Grab a small flag sticker for your plate and you're good to go, just make sure it's the union flag and UK.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 11:10:37 »
The new sticker wasn't an EU requirement.
As far as previously unrequired additional red tape goes, this is the least of our worries as we head for those promised fantasy sunlit uplands!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 11:16:03 »
If I understand it so far....
It has nothing to do with the EU, but is all down to Her Majesty's Govt deciding to use 'UK' instead of 'GB' and now the United Nations has said "UK motorists must now comply with the wishes of Her Majesty's Govt". 

Hmmmm! but why the change to 'UK' ? Is it because GB - Great Brittain is geographical whereas UK - United Kingdom, is political.
(Keeps some folk in Northern Ireland happy and treads on the hems of the Scottish kilts as they again seek independence.)
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 20:21:49 »
In a nutshell, yes Brockett. UK choice, they could have left/negotiated it to keep GB on the number plate but H E Y !....a new identity to go with those lovely blue/black passports we now have, yes I have one too to get back to the 'UK'. It still says British Citizen inside just like the previous ones do, btw.  :roll:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 09:10:51 »
Small ones purchased off ebay, I think it was £2 for two including postage. Fitted on the reg plate like a Champ and they've withstood some bloody awful weather.
Some scuffers just want an excuse to make your/their day.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

Offline Savak

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 09:33:49 »
In Northern Ireland we frequently drive/ride over the border to the Republic (EU) without stickers and I never remember doing so. The Gardi (Irish police) don't seem to bother, long may it continue.

Regards
Graeme

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 10:27:53 »
I did the same as Upt North, fitted one to my strom and one to my FJR numberplate.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 20:17:06 »
I got a set of a well known auction site and attached one to each pannier.