Author Topic: Bike popping and backfires when cold  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Moggy

• Bike: DL650 L0
  • Location: HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE THE OTHER END OF THE M62 AND A BIT FURTHER
Bike popping and backfires when cold
« on: July 12, 2022, 20:49:22 »
Hi does any one else experience v strom popping and sounds like back firing .Sounds like front cylinder on 650 v strom A0 2010 from cold mine does it everytime without fail after about 100 yards usually once or twice then runs fine and warms up fine any ideas please or is this a v twin trait first v twin for me always had singles or in line twins and online four s thanks.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
Re: Bike popping and backfires when cold
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 12:00:49 »
Do you idle the bike at all before setting off, or just start and set off? I presume you mean it does this when decelerating, off throttle?

Reason I ask is, when cold the ECU compensates fuelling against temperature. Ie, you will have extra fuel during those conditions as it won't yet be in closed loop control.

Cheers
Josh
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 12:36:12 »
Moggy.
If you mean backfiring like in the cartoons, sounds like a shotgun and smoke out of the exhaust then I'd be concerned.
If you've set off straight after starting and there's a little pooping going on I wouldn't worry too much, it's probably slightly generous fuelling by the ecu.
I can't say if all 650's of your model do it, for one good reason, I haven't got a clue. But if it runs and rides OK once warm, I'd ride.
Upt'North.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 12:43:12 »
If it gets any worse, be afraid, very afraid. I remember a story of a V-Strom bursting into flames where it was only firing on one cylinder. I can't recall who that happened to  :whistle:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Moggy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 20:48:11 »
Thanks for replies popping is usually after setting off even if bike started and idled for a little while it is on acceleration rather than deceleration this morning got 1/2mile and it happened again after it had done previously after about 100 yards could be just warming up I suppose just have to keep my eye on it when it pops and hope it doesn't barbeque itself ibest start carrying some sausages in top box just in case thanks for your Replies and advice everyone, if it flames I promise I will film it and post  video on sites  :auto-dirtbike: 

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 07:34:59 »
As a matter of interest, what is your bike's idle speed (rpm) prior to riding off?  Has the cold start rpm cancelled by itself or do assist it manually?
Also check the TPS. On a warm motor and in neutral, at what rpm does the TPS - sign of the C00 move to the top line?
How do you do this? Place your ride into dealer mode (https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html) to access the dealer mode codes. You should see a -C00 in the display area that is allocated for the time. Slowly increase the rpm while watching the - sign. Once the minus sign of the C00 reaches the upper mark take a look at the rpm.  This TPS rpm setting is adjustable, but that is for a later discussion if required.

Offline Moggy

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 21:06:40 »
Thanks will check it out idles about 1250rpm when warm after run before setting off cold rpm about 1600rpm

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 21:08:58 »
Sounds like the flap valve in the exhaust is sticking
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Moggy

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 20:05:43 »
I think I have finally got to the bottom of the issue with the bike popping and farting when cold. Today I removed the tank to do some work to bike upon removal I noticed the rear throttle body and rear air box rubber were not connected properly more like rubbing shoulders I think this could be the cause of the popping and farting and smell of fuel I sometimes encountered only had the bike since May was serviced at a big main dealers were it was bought but I assume it must have just vibrated loose as they told me it must just need warming up more in a morning ha ha. If a job needs doing reet do it tha sen.  :lala:

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 20:17:40 »
was serviced at a big main dealers were it was bought but I assume it must have just vibrated loose as they told me

They all say that sir...........  :roll:

Hoping you've found their mistake.  :icon_wink:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Moggy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 20:33:25 »
Note to self must check engine mounts as I got about 20 turns on clamps ha ha.