Author Topic: Fitting New Chain  (Read 678 times)

Offline Angus

• Bike: DL650A L3
Fitting New Chain
« on: July 09, 2022, 11:08:12 »
How easy a job is putting on a new chain? Id like to do it myself if possible but if it requires precise specifications for safety or is a tricky job will give it to a mechanic. Does one always fit new front and rear sprockets with a new chain or does it depend on wear?

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
Re: Fitting New Chain
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 12:02:30 »
It's not rocket science, but can be quite fiddly the first time you do it. Invest in a good chain splitter and riveting tool (for the new rivet link) as it will make your life so much easier.

A centre stand or paddock stand will make your life easier too if you have them, and of course a bike lift is a luxury if you have one available.

As a rule I usually replace all sprockets with a chain, an extra 30 quid on the job for piece of mind and not having to look at it too much. As long as the sprockets aren't "hooked" then they should be OK.

I don't have an impact gun to get the front sprocket nut off, so I use a broom handle through the back wheel and a willing volunteer standing on the back brake. One tip, when you break the old chain keep it handy, put the new sprockets on and then put the old chain on to tighten the front sprocket nut, then you're not stretching the new chain :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 07:46:40 »
 If still the original sprockets as from new, there is a good chance that red thread locker was used on the lock nut that secures the counter sprocket (engine side) in place.  Often heat required to soften the thread locker compound prior to removing the sprocket lock nut.
 I suggest that you first do some research by searching this site for front sprocket removal, before attempting the task. The other alternative is to find someone who can with hands-on guide you through the process.   Typical threads that you will find, https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=30187.0  and https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=24687.0
 The task can be tricky if it is done for the first time, but once completed you'll won't be that apprehensive doing the task the next time.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 08:38:25 »
   One thing I would add to Josh’s post is,do not split the old chain before you replace the front sprocket.As it is much easier to hold the sprocket to remove and replace it when the chain is in one piece.
Ian Mc.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 09:33:14 »
Just reading through this thread. I see all the talk is of splitting and riveting chains. is the remove swingarm and use an endless chain done thses days ........ as it was 15 or so years ago when I was last into biking?
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 11:16:55 »
You probably could do that, but for me that's that's more work than splitting/riveting a link.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 13:51:08 »
Agreed - it'd need the rear exhaust removing, suspension linkage removing, swingarm removing...

I tend to get the local independent garage to swap mine as it doesn't cost too much to get them to fit them and it only gets changed when it wears out so every few years or so.