Author Topic: Does it get better?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline MAW

• Bike: DL650 L2
Does it get better?
« on: July 09, 2022, 10:52:54 »
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am getting back into bikes after a long long hiatus, though never got my licence,  so now having to jump through the hoops. Done my CBT, but the trouble is all the training centres and independents (and test slots) are booked up until the end of the summer and beyond. Though I did manage to find one indi trainer who had a test slot the beginning of August. So, I paid my deposit and had my first lesson this last week.  Had to supply my own gear, so hurriedly went out an bought kit that I may not have if I had time to be more thoughtful, but I digress. The bike was a rusty old 2007 Honda Hornet 600 (half way through the day the instruments gave up and I had no speedo!). Being 6'2" the riding position was cramped, but it was like riding an old go-kart. Every single bump in the road juddered through me, the engine got really hot (though it was a hot day), the engine was screaming in top gear by the time I'd reached 40-odd mph, so much so I was looking for another gear.  Turns out top gear did have more grunt but it just screamed even more.  I generally did not enjoy myself.  As I mentioned in a previous post, love the look of the 650 V Strom and the V twin gets good reviews, but nothing local to try out and compare. So, in a roundabout way, my question is, would a M3 V Strom be much better experience?  I am looking for a nice comfortable ride that absorbs the bumps and purrs along at 60mh.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Does it get better?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 10:56:26 »
"would a M3 V Strom be much better experience?"

Yes.  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 11:40:56 »
Most definitely. 600 Hornet screaming at 40 in top? Stunt gearing?

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 12:15:23 »
Yes, in literally every single way. Don't forget the shop bikes are "well used"
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline MAW

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 13:11:22 »
Most definitely. 600 Hornet screaming at 40 in top? Stunt gearing?

Not sure about the set up. I queried it with the instructor. He told me to monitor the revs, but by this stage the gauges had given up so couldn't tell. I assume it must be normal because there was still a a bunch of power left, but just revved even higher.  My problem is I have had little to no experience with modern bikes so don't know what is normal.  All I can say is it was a really annoying racket.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 14:28:45 »
If you get off a twin onto a four they always seem to be screaming, like getting off a two stroke onto a four stroke, it takes a few miles to get used to.

I know you didn't do it that way but when you get onto a twin after the four, it will be a huge surprise. You won't be disappointed. The power comes in more comfortably too, unless you want to go very fast  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 19:38:58 »
Maybe the instrutor is good at the job, but for my money the bike provided should be in good condition. Anything obvious such as the speedo or rev counter not working would be an indicator as to why he has a training slot. I would be looking somewhere else.
 A duff bike is a sure way to put a trainee off. However, we all love it otherwise we wouldn't keep on doing it. Good luck and keep on riding and learning.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 15:18:54 »
Do you drive a car?

It took *forever* for me to get used to the fact that most bikes love to be revved, compared to my diesel car where the power tops out at 3-4k, and I'm often not above 2 until I get above 50mph. Once you get past that mental block, it's much much easier.

Basically, if it's got more power where it's screaming, rev the balls off it (and buy some ear plugs :P)

As for the condition of the bike - I did my CBT on a bike where the rubber parts were all turning to powder, it was horrendous going back to neutral, the list goes on. That place also had two '02 650's (unsure what they were at the time) that they were doing DAS on. Compared to where I did my DAS, they had almost brand new CB125F's, and fairly new MT-07's, but apparently had a good deal with the dealership down the road. The prices were a few hundred more pricey for where I did my DAS, but you can see where the extra money goes!

Offline MAW

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 13:02:39 »
Passed test and got myself a 2012 650DL and what a difference between the bike I was learning on and this one.  Was very lucky as the bike has only 12k miles (full history and service records), is in mint condition and only cost £3,300. Though I reckon in a normal market that was a fair price, but in todays market I think there is a lot of overpriced bikes that will lose their value quickly once the issues with new inventory sorts itself out. 

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 13:28:09 »
Well done for avoiding the daft beaks!

:nobeak:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 13:41:42 »
Well done MAW.
Now get a nice big beak on it  lol.
Upt'North.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 13:50:33 »
So, yes. It definitely gets better.  :thumb:

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 15:26:00 »
Congratulations! I'm glad you like your new V-Strom so much. We knew you would. If it hasn't got crash bars fitted then I suggest they be the first thing you fit. Although you are 6'2 if you are going to drop the bike it's likely to be while pushing it so the bars will protect your pride and joy. I was pushing mine on gravel, back and forth turning around with a 6 point turn then lost my footing. I lay my bike down slowly then picked it up again with no damage at all, not even a mark on the bar.

I wish you many happy miles on Suzy.  :text-goodpost: :thumb: :text-bravo: :auto-dirtbike:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 23:18:30 »
+1 for revving. I have a Honda CBR954 and I still start off worrying about the revs after I've climbed off my VStrom  :)
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey

Offline MAW

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 12:44:26 »
Doc 46:

Not sure if it was standard for the model, but it's got the crash bars, skid plate (though it's plastic, but OK for road use) handguards etc.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 08:44:21 »
Congrats. I guess then that it is time for you to update your profile to include your bike info  :)

Offline MAW

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2022, 11:07:09 »
Just though I'd share a pic, though I think you all know what a V strom looks like!

Online StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 17:14:36 »
We like pics.  :)

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 23:00:39 »
Fat Rat, I see you have an aversion to beaks. Are they allowed at the camp site?  :smirk:  :grin:

Congrats MAW! Enjoy :)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2022, 08:32:29 »
As long as they park with the daft beaks pointing into the hedge.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!