Author Topic: Overtight Stuck Oil Filter Removal and Metzeler Tourance Tyres  (Read 718 times)

Offline Angus

• Bike: DL650A L3
Oil change time . Last time I overtightened the oil filter far too much and now can't remove. Bikes done 2300 miles since last change so must do it now. Is there a special tool or way of removing stuck filters ?
Regarding the Metzeler Tourance tyres I had fitted 2000 miles ago I am delighted with the bikes handling. The bike feels very secure and connected to the road.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
2300 miles is a pretty short interval, I thought filters were good f for longer than that.
Either way, what tool are you using at the moment as either a rubber strap wrench or a proper filter socket should get it undone regardless.
I got a pattern filter socket off wemoto and I've never not been able to get the filter off. Prefer them to the strap wrenches as there's no risk of collapsing the wall of the filter.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
......or if you are in a bit of a rush and an animal, knock a long screwdriver through it. 

Never fails. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Strap wrench or screwdriver as TLPower says. Either of them will do the job.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
A strap or chain wrench but when you tighten the new one only tighten by hand. I think a much higher percentage of people over tighten than under tighten and if it't too loose letting a few drops of oil spill out, just give it a little turn more. Obviously before you have put the sump guard back on, most people seem to have them. You'll be okay just have a little confidence, it's easy.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
Back in the day Honda motorcycles had a 12mm nut to hold the oil filter housing on. It was small to stop people overtightening the nut. it didn't work people overtightened and then had to use a stilson wrench to undo it. As has been said under tightening a spin on filter will cause little more than a drip of oil. No one wants a loose nut, but apart from a crankshaft pulley nut on a Land Rover defender diesel engine, nothing needs to be as tight as people think.

In case you are wondering with the Land Rover a 3/4 inch breaker bar with a piece of scaffolding over the end, use all your strength and more and then a bit more ........ then check and retighten every month.  :fix:
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
Strap wrench, held close to the base of the filter so less chance of collapsing the filter. I'd discourage the screwdriver through the filter casing trick unless desperate. Better to have an engine with dirty oil still inside it than an engine with no oil inside it together with a mashed up ex filter you'll not remove in a hurry!

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
I prefer the filter socket method.
You don't even have to take the OEM engine cover off.
I like easy.
2300 miles for a filter is bugger all mileage. If it remains a pig then just wait until your passing a good independent bike garage. Get them to do it.
Plus if you over tighten things be very careful with the drain plug.
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
I don't know where you are in Scotland but if in the Borders area feel free to visit and do it here. I'm about 10 miles south of Coldstream.
Upt'North.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Angus, mate, do it yourself. It's easy and as said, it will take 10 minutes. The hardest part of the job is taking the old oil and filter to the recycle center and listening to the twat in a reflective jacket.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.