Author Topic: Dealer mode and setting up tps  (Read 972 times)

Offline Allan Cross

• Bike: DL1000 K5
Dealer mode and setting up tps
« on: July 06, 2022, 20:59:15 »
Any hints tips regarding Dealer mode and setting up tps? Cheers in advance

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Dealer mode and setting up tps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 21:15:36 »

Good short video explaining how to enter dealer mode and check TPS calibration.

Offline Allan Cross

• Bike: DL1000 K5
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 11:43:19 »
Thank you

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 17:53:56 »
I found this on the Stromtroopers site ages ago I’ve never done it myself because it doesn’t apply to later models (apparently) and can’t vouch for it’s accuracy. But it maybe useful. Written by an American so non metric measurements etc..

Check your Throttle Position Sensor setting.
This is REAL simple and quick and will cost you nothing to check. Adjust your throttle cable slack to 1/8" rotational free play at the grip.
1) Remove the seat and locate the white 6-pin Dealer Mode Connector
2) Remove the Dealer mode Connector cap and set aside
3) Dealer Mode Connector terminal end facing you with the cap latch on top, jumper the white/red and black/white wire terminals at the right side of the connector together with an unbent small paper clip. These terminals are stacked one over the other.
4) Turn ignition switch to the "ON" position, engine off
5) Look at your trip odometer in your gauge cluster--it will have switched from tripmeter to code reader. If there is no diagnostic trouble code you will see "C00". If your TPS adjustment is correct, you will see a hyphen just to the left of the "C", as in "-C" On the Vstrom the hyphen may be inline with the top of the "C". If the hyphen is either at the bottom of the "C:, or above the "C", the TPS needs adjustment.
My friend's Vstrom 650 was right on the money.
My Vstrom1000 was at the bottom of the C but had no drivability issues. I raised the tank, and using a T25 Tamperproof Torx bit, 1/4" drive ratchet and locking 6" extension, adjusted my TPS to spec--the top of the "C".
It ran great before, but is outstanding now. Smoother cold running, better throttle response, more power everywhere.
The GSX-R750 was at the bottom of the C. Same story, the owner reports smoother on-off-n throttle transitions, smoother and quicker response.
The real deal was a friend's GSX-S1000. For a year and a half he complained of buck on off-on throttle transitions, hesitations during low-speed maneuvers. He installed a G2 Throttle Tamer, only slightly better. He had his ECU reprogrammed 3 times, $$$$, and still didn't run right. He seriously considered selling the bike.
I did the TPS check--and it was waaay off, at the bottom. I adjusted the TPS...AND FIXED Totally different bike now and he is thrilled.
I did purchase the Suzuki Tool to do this job, makes it quicker and easier. Part # 09930-82720, was $20 shipped. But a paper clip will do.
The lesson here is twofold: Never assume the factory settings are correct, and don't do performance mods trying to correct drivability issues until you make sure the specified settings are right
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away