Author Topic: A technical question about oil.  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Dunbar

• Bike: DL650XT
A technical question about oil.
« on: June 23, 2022, 09:09:54 »
I would like to ask you a very technical question about the oil level and performance of our vstroms.

You see... I have been riding for only 1 minute with a very limited amount of oil. About 2.2 Litres. My bike is a 2021 vstrom 650 XT. I could not see anything through the oil sight glass, neither when the bike was off nor on.

The oil pressure indicator light was fine, and went out when I started the engine.

And the technical question is : What is the minimum oil for the vstrom to run without breakdown?

I topped up oil and now it's OK, but I'm curious if the bike can handle only 2.2 Litres in the crankcase. Thanks .

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: A technical question about oil.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 10:28:04 »
Generally speaking if there is sufficient oil to cover the oil strainer/pickup in the sump while the entire engine's oil channels are filled with oil will be enough to run the engine for a very short time.
Though this will not be good in the long run.

Low oil levels will cause issues with clutch as it's supposed to be covered continually in oil and with the stator.

Usually when conducting a service and refilling the oil, I will refill to the top mark, run the engine for a minute. Allow the engine to sit for approx. 2 mins, then check the oil level again. Normally a small top up to the full mark is required.

Note that the bike should be held upright, centre stand will skew the reading - the best way is to have someone straddle the seat without putting weight on the seat - not that easy to do for most people with average leg length on a tall bike.

Castrol website states: Capacity 2,6 litre (Service fill), Capacity 3 litre (Dry fill), Filter capacity 0,2 litre
With 2.2ltrs in there I can't see there being an issue for being run for such a short time.

Oil at the very bottom edge of the sight window, still means there is oil in there, but not within the recommended range.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 11:30:19 »
As well as what Mr D has said, oil forms part of the cooling system for the engine and less oil will affect that side as well. Systems are designed to allow some degree of forgetting to check so the absolute minimum where it will cause the engine to eat itself will be lower than what is in it at the low mark. Going below the limit would affect the oil pressure and trigger the warning light: yours didn't, so the engine says it had enough to operate.
It normally takes more than a minute to destroy an engine with no oil in it at all: modern oils really do a good job of sticking to surfaces. Try dropping the sump on an engine & running it dry to see how long it can run - it's longer than you think.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Dunbar

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 14:10:10 »
 Thank you very much for your answers. I took it for a little spin today and everything was perfect.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 14:33:36 »

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 17:45:58 »
  A little snippet of info about oil levels that came from our old friend “Grey Wolf”.
  If you check the oil level on the centre stand and there is just a small bubble visible at the top of the sight glass, the oil level will be about right when the bike is back down on it’s wheels.
Ian Mc.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 19:02:30 »
Ianmc, I have exactly that but it all depends on how your bike is set up. Like everyone else who had the pleasure of 'meeting' greywolf on this forum I would not contradict his excellent advice he gave us.

I have a centrestand and my top fork brackets are lowered down the forks approximately 1 cm. Both changes are allowed by Suzuki, in fact it says in my handbook that the suspension (nothing said about oil levels) is set at mid height, level 3 between 0 and 5, and the result is my rear tyre is 15mm off the level garage floor. The set up of front forks might be different when the bike is prepared for delivery to the client by concessionaires too.

To be fair there is no exact quantity of oil in the motor at any time, you never empty it totally when you do and oil change with or without filter change. I would suggest that is why the visual level is the best method of checking knowing that if you are around three-quarter level between the marks (that is subject to parallex error if you don't get down to the window and look at it eye to eye) is adequately sufficient.

So there are lots of variables and common sense says keep it at 2mm below the top mark when viewing the window at the same level. It won't make any difference if your forks are lowered, you have a centrestand or not. Just find a reasonably level area of ground to check it on.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 23:17:45 »
I use an old  vstrom mirror to I check the oil level sight glass which I can do while standing astride the bike with both wheels down. Best use of the worlds ugliest mirror I've yet to find.
However, I have yet to see anybody look directly into that sightglass whilst holding the bike in a verticle position with both wheels on a level surface as it says in almost all of the manuals.  :icon_exclaim:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 14:05:31 »
I have a pair of v-strom mirrors kicking around somewhere - cheers brocket!  :thumb:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 16:57:20 »
I have an old mirror cable tied to a 1m length of wood to enable me too check the level on my own. Works a treat.

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 07:19:40 »
I check the oil on the centre stand. The oil at the top on the F mark of the sight glass when on the centre stand is about 2-3mm below it when off and bike vertical, works for me; or when on the bike lean down and take a pic with your mobile.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 22:09:33 »
I use an old  vstrom mirror to I check the oil level sight glass which I can do while standing astride the bike with both wheels down. Best use of the worlds ugliest mirror I've yet to find.
However, I have yet to see anybody look directly into that sightglass whilst holding the bike in a verticle position with both wheels on a level surface as it says in almost all of the manuals.  :icon_exclaim:

I do this all the time Brockett, always have. I leave the side stand down, pull it upright, check the oil while crouching down then lower it back onto the stand. I have the bike in 1st gear.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 22:38:11 »
I do exactly the same, as our good doctor
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 22:45:43 »
I do the same as Flanners :)