Author Topic: Bike hire in the USA  (Read 601 times)

Offline Trecelyn

• Bike: DL650
Bike hire in the USA
« on: May 17, 2022, 15:24:35 »
Hi
I've only recently passed my test and am looking to do the 'bucket list' bike hire in the US of A early next. Does anyone know if the 'recent-ness' of my test pass will prevengt me from hiring?

Thanks in advance.

T

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Bike hire in the USA
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 15:40:29 »
Never done it but looked into it ....

I've been riding nearly 34 years and it was cheaper for me to ship my own bike out there.

As it was so expensive, I thought I know, I'll look at hiring a car just out of curiosity.

I'm not sure if I was looking in the wrong place but I decided shelved the idea...  :angry-banghead:

The USA is getting expensive from what I've heard.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 15:49:45 »
Have you anywhere specific in mind? There are UK companies that can arrange bike hire, routes, accommodation etc., or even guided tours with bike hire thrown in.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 15:59:35 »
I guess length of holding a licence may differ from hire company to hire company/ insurance companies. Best way is to contact a couple of firms and ask.

I've also heard of Riders-Share.com which allows owners to rent out their bikes. It's supposed to be a cheaper way to hire bikes, but I guess like everything there'll be risks involved from hiring from an individual rather than a company.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 16:48:56 »
Check out the Hertz bike rental site, I know they rent in the good'ol USofA.
I'm sure the details will be on their interweb thingymabob site.
As an aside though......isn't everywhere and everything getting blummin expensive?
Upt'North.
 :old:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 19:43:02 »
I looked into it about 6/7 years ago. We fancied a few weeks touring around Wyoming & Yellowstone National Park. I did a bit of research but gave up pretty quickly, bike hire in that area plus flights was silly money. Accommodation didn't seem too bad though. 
Decided closer to home was the better option.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 20:03:23 »
 We did Route 66 in 2016 and went with a company who organised bike / routes and accommodation. I would suggest this if you not done much touring before

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 07:00:07 »
Eaglerider (https://www.eaglerider.com/) looks like it may be your best bet. The only licence requirements seem to be that you have one and are over 21, they don't seem to be too fussed on experience. They have 'big' Harley's from a couple of hundred dollars a day or you can hire a proper motorbike if a Milwaukee tractor don't float Your boat. They even do Royal Enfields and you can hire a classic 500 from $15 a day, although you would need some time to do any distance on that. Good website, easy to navigate and they have a 'deals' section with special one way trips (presumably to get bikes back where they started) which are cracking value. As has been said elsewhere accomodation is very cheap, usually quite good, food is virtually free and the fuel is cheap and plentiful (the locals think it's expensive but it's not). Best of luck.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Trecelyn

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 10:23:21 »
Thanks to all for your replies.
Eagle wotsits have told me that as long as I'm over 21 (that milestone passed some time ago!) and my UK licence is 'A' then no problem.

BUT it is bl**dy expensive!

It's been a dream since childhood to ride under the big sky on a harley (don't judge me too harshly!)..... looks like it'll be a two day hire and three weeks on a Greyhound bus....

Cheers

T.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 13:15:12 »
Have you looked at: https://magellanmotorcycletours.co.uk   ?

Everyones idea of expensive is different. I have done 5 tours with them. They also arrange solo trips for you including bike hire.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 13:27:25 »
One persons dream is anothers nightmare, but let's not go there, it won't end well  :stirpot:.
My only thought of jumping on a "strange" bike and spending long days in the saddle for days or weeks, is make sure you'll be comfy on it first. Depending on which Harley you lust over, check em out.
Although I bet them blummin Greyhound seats are comfortable for hours.
 :grin:

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 20:10:50 »
A few years ago I flew into Atlanta and had a rental car already booked for two weeks. The car turned out to be what looked like an old Ford Mondeo so I asked if they had a Ford Mustang, they didn't but did have a Dodge Charger. I swapped for that and took a long route to Nashville. I am a tight bug** and certainly not rich so it must have been very reasonable or I wouldn't have afforded it. Petrol was very cheap but one American told me I had rented a gas guzzler that would cost a lot to run. I told him I didn't care about that as petrol was cheap compared with the UK. When I told him how much petrol costs here, he nearly fainted. I didn't see many diesel cars, in fact I can't remember seeing one.

My advise would be, just do it. You won't live forever and when you look back you will be glad you did.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.