Author Topic: Puncture  (Read 1217 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Puncture
« on: May 08, 2022, 22:47:50 »
I gave the bike a quick wash today to clean the fly's off, cleaned and lubed the chain and gave the whole bike a quick look over. I found a screw loose on the chain guard, no big deal and the kind of thing I was looking for but then found a small nail in my new back tyre. Talk about p****d off!  :groan:.

I've ordered a puncture repair kit but the puncture is loosing no air so, I'll ride it slow until the kit comes and I fix it. Would a garage make a better repair than I can do myself?

Something similar happened with my BMW years ago, new back tyre and a puncture. I had a garage repair it and the tyre lasted right down to it's last 1 mil of tread and I didn't restrict my speed with it.  :roll:

Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
Re: Puncture
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 22:49:06 »
With reference to my last, I have not removed the nail yet, obviously.

Online Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 23:12:16 »
Having it plugged properly from the inside is preferable to the repair kits that are meant to be temporary, although some have used the repair kit and still used the tyre for a long time.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 00:58:30 »
Thank you Mojo-Jo jo. I'll take it in tomorrow and see if they will plug it. If they do, the kit I ordered won't go to waste it will live under the seat for emergencies.  :thumb:

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 06:40:19 »
With respect to a "proper" repair, some tyre manufacturers don't allow / recommend it which can make a professional repairer unlikely to do it. IIRC when I last had a proper internal repair, Michelin didn't recommend, but Metzler did. I had a Tourance next on then  :)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 07:44:06 »
My local mechanic patched a new Michelin tyre without issue. Was almost brand new when a screw went through the centre of the tyre. Repair lasted the life of the tyre.
Definitely get it professionally fixed.

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 09:11:35 »
Until you pull the nail out, you’ll not know it’s a puncture.   I’d pull it out sooner than later and not ride with the nail in as that could make it go further in and cause a puncture. 
Never too old to ride!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 12:54:52 »
With respect to a "proper" repair, some tyre manufacturers don't allow / recommend it which can make a professional repairer unlikely to do it. IIRC when I last had a proper internal repair, Michelin didn't recommend, but Metzler did. I had a Tourance next on then  :)

Of course they don't recommended it....

They want you to purchase a new tyre.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 14:11:44 »
The bike's booked in for the 17th, the earliest slot available at my local garage who will do the repair, no question. To be honest I'm not 100% sure it is a nail in the tyre. The tread pattern has small round holes as well as groves and in one of the's small holes is where the nail (?) is. It could be a small stone and the spit test shows me it is not leaking at all.

I don't want to remove it then maybe end up with a flat tyre until I'm at the garage where it will be repaired so I'm going to leave it in. I have been honest with the mechanic and he said it is okay if on the day he isn't needed, he understands and would do the same in my position.

So, until then I am going to continue using my bike with the emergency kit under the seat but limit the speed until it's sorted. I could drive everywhere but I hate driving unless I need to go a long way on motorways. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the advise and comments and for anybody who thinks I may be a little crazy, I am.   :crazy:

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 23:07:26 »
I had this experience.  Eventually I decided I needed to know so pulled the 'nail' out. Twas a small staple just a mm or two into the tread. Fingers crossed,  you may be lucky 🙏

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 23:28:56 »
I'm guessing you've got Road 5's fitted, as the man said unless you pull whatever it is out it might not even be a puncture, I had a sharp stone puncture a Road 5 trail before in one of those grooves, soft tyres but great grip.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 10:27:17 »
No puncture. It was a stone which has removed it's self. Still, I now have a puncture kit under the seat now for emergencies. Bought from ebay £20 and it fits under the seat like it was meant to be there.

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 23:00:03 »
Happy days😁

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 09:57:11 »
Puncture repair kits are great. However things I learned are;
1. Rear tyres get punctures more than front tyres.
2. A flat tyre renders the bike very unstable on it's side stand and very difficult to get up onto it's main stand. It is a whole lot easier to find the puncture and repair it when the rear wheal is off the ground. For this reason a front tyre puncture is much more difficult to fix.
3. Sod's law says "if a thing that can happen, it will happen, and in the worst possible circumstances". I.e. at night in the rain when you are travelling alone. So I should have read the instructions and practiced attending to a puncture on a nice sunny afternoon.
4. I needed a means of inflating the tyre. I used CO2 canisters which gave around 7lb of pressure per canister  so that's 5 or 6 for a rear wheel. The canisters get extremely cold when the pressure is released so wear gloves or use an application gun and of course familiarise yourself with how to use the canister.  Better alternative is an electric pump clipped to your bike battery or a high power aux socket.
When I picked up a puncture I was lucky  in that I was on a V-Strom ride out with very willing hands helping me out.
If I get a puncture when I'm on my own I'll probably call out  for rescue (Auto Aid) / RAC / AA etc.

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.