Author Topic: Help a noob restrict their 650 to an A2 licence?  (Read 702 times)

Offline tomleigh

• Bike: DL650 L1
Help a noob restrict their 650 to an A2 licence?
« on: April 27, 2022, 22:50:09 »
Hello everyone!

Just got my hands on a 2011 650 and I couldn't be happier with it.

Unfortunately I need to restrict this lovely beast to 47bhp until I can upgrade my A2 to unrestricted, hopefully later this year.

Would rather not pay a dealer to do this twice (putting in and later removing).

I have already tried with a restricted ECU that was manufactured for the 'DL650AU/L3' model, a restricted bike that seems to have been released only in Australia. I liked the plug-and-play option. Bike turned on, but engine wouldn't start. After some research I think it's because the ECU has another bike's VIN, which my key obviously doesn't match to. Possibility of coding a new key to this restricted ECU, but seems expensive and arduous. So it's a no-go; bummer.

So, manual restriction... it seems I cannot buy something like a throttle stop for the Strom separately, I can only find a complete set like the one in the attached photo. Honestly I don't even know which bit the throttle stop is, or how to fit it. Some people say to just buy generic '47bhp-sized' washers off ebay and plop them in the air intakes, but others say this isn't enough as it'll screw up the air/fuel mix.

If I were to buy the complete set (about £70) in the photo, does anyone recognise what the different bits are? They have no info on the website other than saying that most kits will modify fuel and air intake. Would really like to fit this myself if I can, and perhaps this post will help some other bastard who wants this bike but needs to restrict it like myself.

Really glad this forum exists, have found loads of helpful answers on other topics and glad to join the club!

:sunny:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Help a noob restrict their 650 to an A2 licence?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 06:21:19 »
When buying a restrictior kit, for insurance purposes, it has to be fitted by a professional.

All the paperwork that comes with the kit has to match your chassis number and stamped as proof it's been fitted.

Even if you did manage to fit one yourself , you'd still need to have it professionally checked and the paperwork signed.

For your info , it looks like number 8 or 3 would do the job but I can't be 100% as the kit seems to cover a range of bikes.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline EvilRacer329

• Bike: 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2017 Yamaha T-Max 530 DX
Re: Help a noob restrict their 650 to an A2 licence?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 18:23:26 »
6 and 8 look a lot like the restrictor plates my fiance installed in her SV650 when she was running that on a 33bhp restriction. And therein lies the issue - if that's a generic kit, then who the hell knows what it'll actually do. On a modern bike with throttle position sensors and electronic throttles it'll probably get very confused and run rich as all hell.

It sucks, but this is one of those things where I would go with the OEM kit installed by an OEM dealer unless you can find something explicitly designer for your exact make and model of bike.

As for insurance...I'm not sure that's true. If the police (or anyone else) suspects that you're not actually running the restriction you claim, they can require you to go get a dyno run done. Which, honestly, is probably a far better way of proving a restriction to your insurance company than anything!

Nick