Author Topic: How do you lean…  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
How do you lean…
« on: April 16, 2022, 10:04:20 »
A couple of days ago I went out for a bit of a blast with a few mates. We weren’t breaking the sound barrier but we did lots of twisty bits.

During the ride out I noticed that in a bend, some riders would keep their head the same angle as the body and the lean and some would keep their head vertical despite the angle of lean. On the way back I started looking more closely and stayed at the back of the pack to observe.

I then realised that I was a vertical bloke, keeping my head upright despite the lean. I would say that at least 2/3 of the blokes were vertical blokes like me, and the remainder were go-with-the-flow blokes.

Anyone ever noticed that…?
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Re: How do you lean…
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 15:15:50 »
I tend to ride upright with a strait back, it's best for my posture. I do position into a corner but my bum doesn't move on the seat yet the weight moves inside and out. One thing I always do is tilt my head level through the corner. It gives me a clearer perspective and, it makes it more comfortable to turn my head to look through the corner for maximum vision. This suits me and Valentino Rossi too (reference to keeping his head level), he doesn't sit upright through a bend though. My Hero  :bow-blue: , he'll always be my best.  :thumb:

Best thing is to ride on a twisty road, on your own and try different styles. What works for you is what counts.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 18:28:06 »
I think I drop my shoulder a bit and stick my knee out a bit and lean my head a bit.
But it's just what I do  :shrug:
So actually  :text-goodpost: why do me do what we do? and more importantly what should we be doing? trained and untrained a untrained and all that.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 22:33:47 »
endintears. If what ever you are doing is keeping a smile on you're face, keep doing it. You have it just right.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline endintears

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 13:16:47 »
Looks like I'm in the lean your head straight group :)

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 22:18:39 »
Fortnine did a video on this exact thing! (I think I'm a neutral/counter leaner)

Offline endintears

Re: How do you lean%u2026
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 09:28:49 »
Good video thanks.
At the end he describes leaning as opposed to counter leaning or neutral when we start to run out of tyres [off the edges] and that explains so well why we do that without thinking about it even at low speeds when we think it's really slippery in an attempt to keep the tyre as vertical as possible.
Yes very good  :clap:

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 09:39:44 »
Another brilliant video.
I think I'm a mixture of all depending on the speed and scenario.
Counter lean at slow speed into neutral at lazy cruise into leaning to the inside with head upright if hussling slightly more.

* The latter is definitely an attempt to look and feel more engaged and have more fun, it is in no way because I'm bothering the limits of grip ;)

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 12:10:52 »
That’s a good video. Enjoyed it. Wherever your head is, I think much of it depends on what feels natural to you. But, after watching that video, maybe I’ll try to be a bit more adventurous with my weight.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline SteveO

• Bike: DL650XT L5
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 06:42:39 »
Quote removed

Sadly, I’ve always been adventurous with my weight.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 22:04:50 »
Important thing to remember about leaning is buy a tall bike like the V-Strom. I've had several sportsbikes but the DL's lean better than many. You won't see many chicken strips on a V-Strom that's ridden round bends even moderately fast. My technique .....countersteer, push hard, keep a good line and accelerate steadily out of the bend. Look at your rear tyre when you get home - that will tell you how well you did, certainly on newish tyres. This was my brand new bike today after only 30 miles - dry roads and modern tyres can be broken in more easily than some nay sayers think. However, never ride out of your comfort zone - just consistently up to the limits of it. Two wheels were made to lean. Save the steady corners for the car!  :grin: 

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 23:24:25 »
I think I'm probably pretty vertical in the head department. Never really thought about it, but it just feels natural.
But having thought about it........will it be that the eyes and the road are on the same horizontal plane?
Upt'North.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 16:46:18 »
How do I Lean

Normally after a beer at the boozer.... 1 hand on the wall in the alleyway  having a pee
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018