Author Topic: Brake pads (cars in particular)  (Read 599 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Brake pads (cars in particular)
« on: April 10, 2022, 16:48:27 »
Question to those who may know something about this subject (or even those who don't  :grin:).
I changed my rear pads on the Focus a few months back, replacing the OEM (I think they were) with Brembo. Since then I've noticed there is far less brake dust on the wheel when I wash the car, not a problem when cleaning it obviously,
but...
1. is it the make of pads, some being worse/better than others for dust?
2. could it make a difference to the amount of braking force?
3. is it because they're not wearing as quick & will they last longer?
The MOT man last month said the brakes were well within range so I'm presuming the braking force is OK but could it be better?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
Re: Brake pads (cars in particular)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 16:56:52 »
Good questions -

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not necessarily

They may bed in with mileage and become better ? I bought a Kia Sorento back in 2004 and it created the most horrific amount of brake dust. After it's first 10,000 mile service this all but stopped as Kia changed the spec' of the brake pads due to so many complaints about the dust. No difference to the braking but way less dust.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 17:19:13 »
As a less specific answer my local garage who tend to fix cars a few years old recommend Pagid (https://pagid.com/product-range/brake-pads/) pads.
They say they are just plug and play.
I put some on my car last year and indeed it was straightforward and they just work.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 08:46:22 »
Cheers gents.
Coolshirt, after I finished working for BT I delivered parts for Euro car Parts for a couple of years. The most common pads (& discs) delivered were Pagid. Eicher were also a favourite, but amongst the 'proper' back street garages, they were the cheapest option.
Brembo & Bosch not so much, they were more expensive.
All the above were often delivered to main dealers, again, Pagid being a favourite.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 11:01:01 »
I think what you're probably noticing Mick is that your replacement pads are of one of the more recent formulations/compounds that are becoming more common now.
My understanding is the change is driven by environmental factors as much as any increase in performance as emissions from a vehicle include the material worn from the pads (and rubber from tyres)
One of the benefits is that it it's not so much that there's less dust but what there is doesn't stain the wheels as much.
Some of you may have noticed the friction material on pads is quite often a light grey colour now as opposed to dark grey/black and that can be an indication that it's of the newer type.