Author Topic: Nuclear Power  (Read 1169 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Nuclear Power
« on: April 07, 2022, 18:16:04 »
Now the government want to be less dependent on fossil fuels or more realistically, we don't want to be dependent on other nations for our fuel. China has a lot to do with Hinkley Point which is not going to plan and China will probably have a lot to do with the next 8 or more power stations. Does this mean we are now dependent on China?  :groan:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: Nuclear Power
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 18:38:15 »
You can add most other countries to the list as so many companies including utilities, sewage etc is in the hands of foreign 'investors' who only want one thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$ ! In China's case CNY or yuan. Better than roubles though. :whistle:

Oh EDF is Elécticité De France BTW. (You already knew that)
So how's it going so far then?

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 18:44:50 »
I agree and yes, I did know that. It makes me wonder if Britain is still Great Britain. Power is money and money is everything and not to be spent wisely or fairly.  ###

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 18:46:56 »
The company that makes the 3MW nuclear reactors for the UK's submarines reckon they can package them in modular form to make small generators sited around the country next to major grid substations. It make sense in that it's 'background' capacity where it's needed, but it's still expensive. The 'holy trinity' (solar, wind & storage)is what's required and will be much cheaper both now and in the long run.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 19:09:36 »
It was on TV some time back (sorry I can't be more specific) that the companies who provide the wind farms are paid more to turn them off when the electricity is not required than they are paid for the electricity they produce. I wouldn't mind being a politician but, I'm not mad enough.  :crazy:

Offline 2112

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 20:31:58 »
It's true and it's called 'negative pricing' but to be fair it doesn't happen that often. When there is a surplus of generation some generators are instructed to reduce output (relatively easy with modern wind turbines) and some large consumers instructed to increase demand (very large factories, called demand side response). These help to balance the grid out so we keep the frequency (the UK grid is frequency controlled rather than voltage controlled like the US) at or as near as possible to 50Hz. The key to preventing this is more battery storage, this can be used to absorb excess generation and then release the stored energy later when required. To see what the UK & French electricity networks are up to in real time check out this link, very interesting - https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 20:44:55 »
Aha! A man who knows power grids. Off topic, but can you tell me why we run 50hz and the yanks 60? Just curious.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 21:21:01 »
2112. You are a clever bloke. I opened the link, looked at it but it meant nothing to me. I'm not as intelligent as I am opinionated.  :thumb:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 21:56:08 »
It's quite astonishing the red tape and technical requirements to simply install a few street lights in this country.
Then you look at the grids and localised electrical systems in India and wonder why do we bother when they have a tangled web of wires.

All I care is that the ever expanding energy sector and EV charging schemes keep me in a job.  :shy:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 23:02:10 »
    Interesting website for me,I worked at a few nuclear power stations when they were being buit,and was involved with moving the first reactor for Rolls Royce Nuclear in about 1964 or thereabouts when it went by train to go into the submarine.Also I have worked on top of a live reactor at Torness Power Station as it was being tested before it went on line.
    If you look at this picture of the frequency meter it is slightly over 50hz.When the grid is loaded up as in mealtimes etc.it is slower,so as long as it averages 50hz.over 24hrs.it keeps your electric clocks accurate.
Thanks for the link it takes me back a few years to when I had to make sure our generators were set up correctly initially so they could syncronize with the grid as required.
Ian Mc.

Offline 2112

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 07:18:38 »
Off topic, but can you tell me why we run 50hz and the yanks 60?
It goes back a long way, but in the late 1800's it was very easy to regulate a steam turbine to 3,000 rpm. The equates to 50 cycles per second (3000 divided by 60 seconds = 50) or 50 Hz. The US at the time were obsessed with DC and ran their generators at 3,600 rpm as that frequency worked better with the converter stations they were using at the time. Eventually, the 'septic tanks's' saw the benefit of AC and went with 60Hz as most of their generation was set for 3,600 rpm (3600 divided by 60 seconds = 60). There are a few benefits of 60Hz such a lighting (it has less flicker as it is 'on' more in a second) and some electric motors can run smoother (depending on how they are 'wound'). The downside is your protection relays need to operate more quickly due to the higher frequency and some network events (such as arcing) can be more difficult to spot. A 60Hz supply is more prone to causing radio interference too.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 07:39:43 »
Fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. Genuinely interesting. Thanks again. I've noticed the Americans on guitar sites always talk about "60 cycle hum" with single coil pickups, and always wondered idly about the discrepancy.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 09:05:24 »
2112,  I wonder if the forthcoming quadrupling of electricity prices will make more people wish they had installed the sort of solar panel set up that you have invested in.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 17:28:30 »
 :text-goodpost:

Oddly enough, we have been inundated at work for requests for a G99 course (G99 is the engineering regulation that covers the connection of generators to the UK grid above 16A per phase or 3.68kW). These are mostly from small scale installers who are themselves being inundated with requests for PV arrays for as large as will fit the premises. Under G98 (the ER that covers up to 16A per phase) you can install the PV and then notify the relevant DNO (leccy board) withing 28 days. Under G99 you have to request first and then wait for permission to connect. I've done over 30 lectures now and they died out during Covid but they are back with a vengeance. All of the PV installers we know are booked out well through summer and some are booked into 2023. Surprisingly, the prices haven't rocketed up as supply has pretty much matched demand thanks to some seriously clued up importers and distributors.

Offline 2112

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2022, 17:34:45 »
2112. You are a clever bloke.

My wife would strenuously disagree  :happydance: