Author Topic: Speedo & Mileage Calibration  (Read 655 times)

Offline Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
Speedo & Mileage Calibration
« on: March 30, 2022, 22:54:36 »
My speedo is showing a 10% increase across the whole range, as appposed to my Garmin Zumo SatNav. I'm assuming that this will also increase the bikes mileage by 10%. Is there any way to recalibrate the speedo sensor, so that it will be accurate for both speed & mileage?

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Speedo & Mileage Calibration
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 08:20:42 »
You can get things like the Speedo Healer which will re calibrate your readings.
Given yours is the same Gen as mine, I'd suggest checking the sprocket sizes.
A lot of after market companies list the gearing as 17/42 when Suzuki list it as 17/41. My speedo was out by almost 10% for just this reason. Switched to standard gearing and this moved me 2.5% in the right direction so still an over read but much closer to accurate. Obviously if a previous owner has gone more extreme on gearing then standard will get you closer to accurate. Gearing will also affect the odometer I believe since speed and distance are taken off the main gearbox output shaft rather than the wheels.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 08:24:24 »
This is an old complaint wrt the actual speed vs speedometer displayed speed, on the V-Strom.
At one point there was a replacement gauge face plate that was available for 1st gen analogue gauges, but if it still is I don't know.  See Reply #119 in https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36557.msg369602#msg369602, for a pix example of the face plate transfer. Previously the face plates where available from https://www.raceratb.com/austin/car/buyGauges.htm, but I not sure if they are still selling the face plates. I recall reading that there may be something similar available on ebay. Sorry I don't have a link to share.

A speedo healer / speedoDRD was also available as an option to correct the speedometer speed, but if I recall, it didn't help correct the trip meter mileage.  The face plate was the better solution for the 1st gen models, where as the models with the newer digital speedometer, the speedo healer was recommended.

Offline Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 21:06:57 »
Today was chain maintenance, as Rixington43 suggested my spockets are 42/17 & not 41/17. The sprockets and chain are in good condition, so will wait a while before changing back to spec. Anyone have suggestions on top quality chain and sprockets? Thanks.