Author Topic: What exactly does C45 fault code mean? Contradicting information found!  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
Dreaded F1 appeared a few days ago, disappeared and now back.  ### Bike still runs well so thought it was a manifestation of battery disconnect I carried out recently.  :fix:
Went into dealer mode and found a C45 fault code. Tried looking this up, and in many lists C45 doesn't show.  :angry-banghead:
Someone says that on older DL650's, C45 is basically the same as C44 (a heated O2 sensor???), but I have seen also that on newer models, it lists an ABS fault.  :shock:
If this is the case, where do I start? Fuses, connections, sensor condition, gap measurement etc., etc. Then what? Any suggestions ideas welcomed!  :)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Your profile doesn't include the year model of your 650. Have you downloaded a relevant manual for your year model?  See https://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads.htm
The manual is a useful guide to help diagnose the displayed fault code, plus the manual contains a wiring diagram, if you need to trace a specific coloured wiring.

Online kwackboy

Here's info on the o2 sensor...
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
Thanks all (so far!).
Found out that my 2019 V-Strom is AL9, so I will look for the relevant technical information.
I am pretty sure it does not relate to the Lambda Sensor (or O2) as there isn't one on the bike, and hasn't been since mis '22!
The search continues...

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Could it relate to the fact that you haven't got one?

Online kwackboy

It should have an o2 sensor, that's why you have the fault ....  :roll:

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Champy72

It has never shown up any error code since it was removed last year.
It is actually not necessary for the bike to operate. Also, the nearest info I have to finding out the code states that it relates to the rear ABS! only appeared following an electrical 'tidy up' of accessory cabling (not installed by me!), and so I'm thinking maybe a disturbed fuse, relay or some such...

Waiting for a call back from a friendly dealer at the moment...

Online kwackboy

It'll operate, but not efficiently unless the ecu has had some work or it's had a power commander fitted with a custom map.

Your vstrom must have some electrical gizmo to fool the ecu into thinking the o2 sensor is present, it maybe going wrong .. ?

With regard to C45 code relating to the ABS , I'm pretty sure any ABS fault would result in your ABS light staying on .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
   This is a list of the fault codes (The light stands for F.I.,fault indicator BTW ,and not F1 as some people think it does)
   The vagueness about C44 and C45 is still in this official list, plus I would assume (I know this is dangerous) but I would think that the numbers stand for the same faults over the years on all models.I can’t imagine that Suzuki would have different diagnostic equipment for every different model.
Ian Mc.

Offline Champy72

When the O2 sensor is removed, an error light will show up unless a by-pass plug is fitted. These are readily available on eBay and other unreliable sources (!!!). If the exhaust has a threaded hole for the sensor, a grub screw needs to be fitted also. Some exhaust systems do not have cats, or a sensor-fitting threaded hole. The idea here is that the ECU will provide better fuelling as it is not restricted to run 'lean' to suit homologation on initial design. The general result is improvement in HP and power range.
Of course, you use more fuel...!!

Regarding the vagueness between C44 and C45 could well be a result of earlier models not being fitted with ABS? C45 has not been present on the error code list until fairly recently.

Offline Champy72

OK. Closest I can get to seeing a C45 error code description is for a GSXS 1000 which states:
'Fuel Trim Bank 1 - out of threshold value'

Beginning to lose the will to live here...!!!! ###

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
In the Glee service manual (see download section), there's a DTC table on page 1A-22. This doesn't list a C45, however on page 4E-41 it lists DTC 45 as a Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Open (R). I think I'd follow the tests there if you're sure it's a C45.

Offline Gert

Was the rear wheel perhaps remove lately, without first removing the ABS sensor?

Offline Champy72

Read up on how to check the sensor, seems fairly straightforward.

Did remove rear wheel and refit some time ago, but error code only appeared very recently. Will still be checked thoroughly!

Many thanks

Offline Champy72

Sorted!
Changed the speed sensor and all the error codes disappeared, with C00 now showing up in dealer mode...
Decided not to purchase a brand new sensor (price varies between £116 and £168!), and luckily found a pre-owned rear sensor from a 2020 model for £30. Looked good and worked immediately.
Guess we can put C45 error code down to rear wheel speed sensor.

Online kwackboy

Excellent result ...  :thumb:

Thanks for letting us know, now, as you say, the C45 code can be referenced to the rear speed sensor.

However, the curious in me wants to know how it throws up the code without activating an abs fault...? 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Gert

Any physical damage that can be seen on the faulty sensor? If no physical damage to be seen, did you perhaps measure any resistance differences between the two ABS rear sensors?

Offline Champy72

This is where it gets very odd. I measured the resistance of the old unit, and it came back with .460 at 2m ohm setting. Having read that a wheel speed sensor should be between .800 and 1.700, I immediately thought that this was the issue.
However, the replacement also measured .460! It worked straight away, and so I am wondering if there was something else upsetting the applecart. (Hate electronics on a vehicle!!) The original wasn't loose, but there was a mark on the face which could be the culprit. If it was due to the wheel removal some time ago, I still don't understand why it took so long to show up as an error code, and like you, why the ABS light didn't appear...  :shrug:

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
I've certainly had car sensors where scuffs I knew about take time to manifest as a fault.
I got interested in this and according to my 650 Haynes manual fault 45 is rear wheel speed sensor open circuit. I hadn't realised it listed the fault codes until now.
Which it says could be damaged sensor or poor connection or faulty ABS. There is no mention at all of checking impedance. You could have a poor connection and just changing the sensor has fixed that, but my bet is the sensor was broken.
Thanks

"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"