Author Topic: Max speed with full equipment  (Read 1989 times)

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
Max speed with full equipment
« on: July 01, 2021, 22:07:05 »
Soon going for a trip to Southern Europe... if Delta does not come ahead of me...

Planning to drive through Germany as fast as possible (actually because of covid and some other reasons), and with free speed limits most of the way, I would like to know, what would be a sane top speed with Givi windscreen, topbox and panniers on the 1050.

I am asking because the Givi windscreen say no more than 120 km/h in windy conditions and the panniers and topbox says something similar. If exeeding, they can pop off...I have been driving 130-140 on the speedo without any issues, but does any of you have an idea what would be safe as a real life top speed in this situation...?

I am not planning to drive with throttle wide open even if no speed limit (in a car, I have done it more than once though), but I would like to be able to exeed 120 km/h and still not worry about dropping anything both because of myself and my fellow riders.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Max speed with full equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 22:19:49 »
My answer is.....you will know when you've reached the limit of your bike's ability with the 'extras' you have on it.
I have a 650 and, on our tours on the continent, I have seen 130+ kph, for many miles, on the speedo, that is two up with full luggage (with a Givi airflow screen) and the 'bike felt very stable. ........never even considered that the panniers or top box might 'pop off'!
I'm sure others might well have ridden faster but I've never felt the need too.  :)

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 22:37:07 »
This is a no brainer! I've been fully loaded with pillion on an autoroute in the middle of France when a rear tyre gives up at 120 kph. Happily no harm to us or damage but a very torturous 'assistance' home and return to pick up the bike a week later.

What I'm saying is that speed only counts if you can control the unexpected around you. Fortunately in my incident there was no close traffic and I could guide the bike to the hard shoulder but what a wake up call!

I would not be worried about the otherwise secured Windscreen  and luggage, more my ability and concentration to ride fast for long periods. Motorways are very boring. Ride within your comfort zone but don't scrimp on safety.

Have a safe tour.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 22:44:02 »
I was hit in the Helmet by a big pigeon at 80mph.
Visor split & knocked a lens out of my glasses. Chin part of helmet split.
Since then I now ride faster so as to miss the next pigeon.   :grin:

Offline bonne

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 23:03:34 »
What happened to the pidgeon?    :)

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 23:49:17 »
It was found to be in a 'crash for cash' fraud ring and had hatched the plan to be hit and make a claim to feather its nest, but it all went South over the winter and it ended up being caged.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 06:22:59 »
@ Bonne .

You'll know the limit when you get there ..

Going fast and keeping it there is more tiring than you think because your senses and reaction speeds are not trained for it.

I'd add around 20-30 kilometres to your preferred cruising speed ..

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 11:48:21 »
I find that my max cruising speed to some extent (assuming it's within the speed limit) is governed by how much I will lose in fuel consumption vs time gained by going faster. The tortoise vs hare scenario  :) Plus cruising very fast on a bike I find to be tiring after some time, though "allegedly" I did go rather fast in Spain on a very straight road before speed cameras were common  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 12:29:27 »
You'll be fine, you'll feel the front go light as you near the limit. Most pannier manufacturers say 80mph max to cover themselves from the folk that don't up the tyre pressure and preload to cover the extra weight etc
Anyway the strom is not a fast bike, it'll be all over by 120mph and anything more the 100 is hard work with the wind and the vibration.  I fine my Veek smooth till 85mph and 5000rpm so I sit at that and add maybe 5-10mph if I need to. Done this two up with panniers and top box no problem but fuel economy suffers, it's the only time apart from at the TT it goes below 50mpg.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 12:42:15 »
I would imagine the speed rating for panniers and topbox relate to the bike's stability, rather than any likelihood they'll fall off.

Offline TimV

• Bike: DL1000 K3
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 23:01:12 »
You'll have no issues with going 130-140 kph, a Vee with Givi topbox is still pulling strongly at 140mph, the front begins to get light then. Just build up from 140kph to a speed where you're comfortable.

Offline colin

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 10:07:39 »
I ride a 2016 DL650 2 up Givi luggage. do 250 to 300 miles a day across Europe and do 120 to 130 kms on motorways. any faster and it becomes tiring. plus I get good mpg. quite a few speed limits on German autobahn's, you don't want to fall out with German police. 

Offline bonne

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 11:32:32 »
It is a givi windscreen - not luggage.

Luggage is Shad.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 12:04:29 »
I would like to know, what would be a sane top speed with Givi windscreen, topbox and panniers on the 1050.

You specifically mentioned the luggage, though.....

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 12:39:07 »
It's a balancing act you go through: the faster you go, the less time you can spend at that speed before fatigue sets in and you need a break, and the less miles you can do on the same fuel load, so going faster can mean you go less distance in the same time.

Because everyone's attitude towards risk is different, nobody can tell you what speed to do. Just because someone is happy at 220kph doesn't mean you will be, so only go as fast as you feel you are fully in control & able to react in the time you have. The last time I used the autobahns, there were very few people going much beyond 160kph, and most were pottering along at 110 - 130.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 13:28:42 »
On the autobahns some years back, we were on our GTR1400 and we needed to make up some lost time but, as I was carrying precious cargo, the wife, I asked if she wouldn't mind if we increased our speed to get where we needed to go, she agreed ....  :auto-dirtbike:

Anyway , nearly 30 miles of between 120 &140 mph wasn't what she expected    :shy:

During that period I had several cars waiting for me to move over so they could overtake ..  :dl_hyperhysteria:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Dave the rave

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 16:19:32 »
I usually just wack the throttle wide open and see what happens lol :grin: :)

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 19:44:19 »
What are these KPH you speak of? Surely this nonsense and having to buy size 65 shoes was why I voted for Brexit?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Lemonwizard

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 20:06:52 »
Can't speak of my very own experience, but last year when I was riding with my buddy (2017 KTM Super Adventure 1290 S), who was packing big hard case luggage complained to me that the handling felt "off". I suggested we stop at a petrol station where I bumped up the tyre pressure by quite a bit and afterwards the handling was splendid again. He likes to go > 100mph (160kph); the manual said you're supposed to go 75mph (120kph) max, but he didn't have any problems even when going 110mph (180kph)... except for the fuel consumption  :grin:

My point is if you make sure you adjust your tyre pressure and preload I think you should be fine exceeding the recommendation.  :auto-dirtbike:
I like M&Ms - motorcycles and metal 🤘

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 21:08:01 »
I have experienced the top portion of a Givi Airflow “floating” on its runners all the way to the top (speeds over a 100 mph), so make sure it’s tight etc. 120 mph I’ve seen a few times on empty dual carriageways but only briefly and rarely - that was without luggage.
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away