Author Topic: Suspension setting  (Read 3505 times)

Offline theoldun

• Bike: DL650 L9 Red
Suspension setting
« on: April 22, 2021, 10:57:30 »
I have a 2019 vstrom 650 and find it perfectly good for my current needs   The suspension is set up with a bit more preload than standard which I find OK but was wondering whether to use the standard settings as in the handbook but worried it might bottom out with  a very light pillion on country roads . I gave up fast riding  about  20 years ago and now just enjoy poodling about but sometimes with a pillion.  Your experiences please

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Suspension setting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 11:07:01 »
I'd highly recommend getting a helper and setting the sag levels based on measurements, it's one of the easiest free gains you'll make in terms of ride quality and handling. Even without a helper it can be done using something tied around the fork upper, the rear is a bit tricker but can be done with a piece of weighted string that passes through the axle line as close to vertical as possible. Helper is far better though.

This video explains the more accurate method to measure your actual amount of sag, if you're not race fussy then you can just take one measurement and ignore friction.
Do note that they are aiming for 30% of 120mm hence aiming for 40mm of sag. Your Strom has 150mm front and 160mm rear I believe (check this in the manual) so you'd be aiming for a total sag from completely unloaded of 50mm front and 53mm rear. You can run a different percentage based on your riding but the key is getting the front and back to match so the bike geometry is correct.

Not tried setting up with pillion but I do have settings for loaded and unloaded which are easy enough to switch between for touring or a solo day out. I have them written down and then try to stay out of the pie shop so they don't change :)
For rebound I just ride along in a standing position and bounce my weight directly downwards through the foot pegs, I try and match the rebound rate from front to rear so it feels as though the bike bounces back up evenly. Since the front is not adjustable but the back is, I figure this is as good as I will get it without messing with fork internals.

Happy fettling, you won't regret the time and effort believe me.

Offline theoldun

• Bike: DL650 L9 Red
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 11:17:17 »
 Thanks for your prompt reply.  I used to do all that malarkey when I had sports bikes but now comfort rules and I am happy I survived in one piece after years of chasing the  dream to be faster than the next bloke.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 11:59:14 »
No worries.

Same rules apply in terms of getting the front and rear balanced and set for your weight though right.
You're just aiming for 33% of a larger number rather than 25% of a smaller number ;)

I do know the older Stroms are set pretty soft from the factory, I'm at about 80% preload front and rear just to get to 33% sag, and that's solo. Me thinks the test rider was not 6'2" and 14 1/2 stone ;)

Offline Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 21:35:45 »
I left my suspension at factory settings since I bought it in November, mainly because I'm a new rider and was unsure of what to do. I'm about the same size as Rix, 6' 3" 220lbs, so adjusted the front & rear to his 80% settings. Wow, what a difference, it now feels so planted, and I feel so much better when taking a corner.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 22:00:05 »
I haven't touched my suspension at all. I bought the bike about two years ago, used. It handles well for what it is, a 2012 650DL but I have it booked in to have it set up professionally on Thursday (even though I haven't removed what I think is a small nail in the rear tyre yet). The Hell factory is only a few miles down the road. I'll let you know how I get on and how much it cost.

I don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs but If you do set up your own suspension, make sure you ware all of your riding kit including helmet.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Big Daddy

• Bike: 2018 DL650XT
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 17:13:59 »
Hello, blokes, just an FYI on % calculations for sag.  30% of 120mm is 36mm, not 40mm.  1/3 of 120 is indeed 40mm, or 33% of 120. Remember....Aim small, miss small. Just taking the measurements involved in calculating sag introduces enough errors, don't add to the error with incorrect calculations...results are only as accurate as your starting point.  Ride SAFE!