Author Topic: Not meant to be a stupid question but......  (Read 4252 times)

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
Not meant to be a stupid question but......
« on: March 16, 2021, 16:33:18 »
...what would you buy if you were looking for a bike today ?
Would you still buy a V-Strom, or something else ?
I know this is such an open question but I'm planning to sell my old Honda CBF1000 as I want something with a more upright seating position, something that might help me ride more slowly and gently, and a bit lighter, or at least with a lower centre of gravity. I'm just in my '60's, been riding since I was 7, had a big smash many years ago and 17 operations to get me reasonably sorted. The CBF was my first bike after we moved back to the UK (I had a dirt bike in Spain) to see if I enjoyed it. I now want something else, and the 650 V-Strom seems to be what I want. Not ridden one yet, but have loved the big trailie-type bikes I've had (BMW GS 1000, Triumph Tiger 900), don't need a big engine as they just make me go faster, so something with a laid-back feel and not too expensive. I won't be doing a lot of motorway miles, mainly on my own and I hope to get a demo ride soon, but am curious to know what other bikes you who have had a V-Strom might consider if looking for another bike...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Not meant to be a stupid question but......
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 17:03:24 »
Yeah the 650 seems right for you on paper.
The engine is more or less straight out of the SV650 and is a real peach and does egg you on a bit if you're that way inclined.

Proof is always in the test ride.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Bobmc

• Bike: DL1000 K6 and DL650 L3 Honda Vf500f2 Honda Vf750 Honda VF1000r Honda VFR750 Suzuki DR350 Kawasaki KLX 450r BMW G 650 GS
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 18:33:34 »
The 650 is a doddle to ride and would suit you very well

Offline Lemonwizard

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 18:57:37 »
The 650 is a doddle to ride
Having the 2012 model of the 650 as my very first bike I fully agree with this. To me, it feels very nimble, the engine and gearshift are a dream and it's got just the right amount of power. :icon_drool5:
I like M&Ms - motorcycles and metal 🤘

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 19:12:14 »
I would still buy a V-Strom, but only the model up to and including 2011 and nothing from 2012 onwards.

I would only buy the 650 too as it is enough.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 19:36:09 »
As I got older the 650 VStrom became too tall for my old legs. After my last Strom I bought an SV 650. Very much the same engine and low enough for me to ride.  I do like a V twin.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 20:38:59 »
Martin, I am shocked at such racisim against stroms!  :grin:
OP - There are two good value stroms in the for sale section , one 2007 and one 2012 year models.
Worth a look  :thumb:
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline vstroman

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 21:42:33 »
I think the the 2012-16 model 650 would be a great bike for you, I don't like the spoked wheels or beaked models with stacked headlights, I don't mind the looks so much of the new 1050 strangely enough, I'd like the cruise control tft dash etc but the only model that has that has those daft spoked wheels. Hopefully they'll offer that model with cast wheels sometime.

Offline Methusela

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:36:20 »
I was 72 when I traded my last PanEuropean for the then new model 1,000 VStrom, and 76 when I swapped it for the 650. I've never regretted it, it's a lovely bike.

Offline Darren marsh

• Racer Since 1982
  • Bike: DL650 L0
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 10:05:48 »
I changed from the Honda 1000rr blade to the DL650 I had to learn how to ride it with it been the v twin and stop listening to all the rattles this took me some time but now it's been the best move I have made and can honestly say I enjoy my riding I ride the same areas that I have been around for years and now I see things that I have never seen before it's also great that I now take my daughter out and both enjoy the rides we go on
All in all the best move I have made
Safe riding and bring out the sunshine  :sunny:

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:15:18 »
Thanks for all your replies, very helpful!
So why not the newer versions of the 650? I've got long legs, so like a tall bike, plus I like the view over cars. I don't like spokes and have been slightly tempted by a couple of pre-registered 2019/2020 bikes although they are rather more than I can afford. I'd also assumed that the newer bikes were improved from what I've read and watched. I also have a fear and loathing of breaking down or needing repairs. Living in Cornwall there isn't much by way of dealer's or mechanics and I've not got any recommendations yet.
I am heading up to London soon so will visit a dealer or two to get a test ride and see what they say about my cbf as delivering the new and taking the old may make sense. Again, thanks for taking the time to help!

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 11:34:55 »
I liked my L2 when I had it, and there are elements that I miss, like about 100 miles additional fuel range over the KTM, but I'm not sure I'd go back any time soon. The way they look now isn't doing it for me so it would have to be an older one, and the likelihood of me changing back while they're still in good nick is probably pretty slim.
I might end up with one as a project in the future instead of a daily driver. Still some time away though.

As far as the reason people are saying they wouldn't entertain the newer ones is that it's just not a pretty bike any more. There are a few who like the protuberance inflicted on them, and even some who like the new headlight affair. Mechanically, there's little difference, but they created a Marmite reaction with the aesthetics that has put owners of the previous models off, and I have to count myself in that.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 12:59:21 »
I started on a 2012 650 as my first big bike. Absolutely lovely thing, did 17500 miles over a couple of years and basically learnt how to ride on the road properly with it. They handle great for what they are, pull well and are a very stress free bike in my opinion. I had a ride on Divers older model 650 and it was, and still is the "freeist" engine I have ever ridden.

I jumped ship to a Yam Super Tenere which was a lot more agricultural, but was a lovely bike for different reasons. A KTM 1090 which was great. A KTM 790 adeventure which was shite. Que a return to the Vstrom 650 in 2017 flavour.

I think they are a very underrated bike, but do have a couple of niggles, for example: Super thin paint, dodgy looking front end.

Have a test ride and let us know what you think  :thumb:   
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 13:01:03 »
Agreed with all of the above, I came off a 1300 Pan to a 2015 v-strom 650 and I am very pleased with it, the Pan is gathering dust in the garage as I prefer riding the strom.

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 13:55:11 »
Just to add my tuppence worth,

Like several others here the DL650 (L2) was (and is) my first big bike.  I bought it second hand in 2014 with 36k on the clock - I'm rapidly approaching 92k and apart from some of the usual bits which have worn out over the years she's never let me down.  I'll intend keeping her till she dies.

However, one of the things you mentioned in your original post was a low centre of gravity.

Amongst her many excellent attributes, and she has a lot - a low CG ain't one of them...

She's not stupidly heavy (~225kg kerb weight) but, like all adventure bikes she's tall and a little top heavy.  Nothing unmanageable, but if you're fully loaded and you drop her, it can be a bit of a drama getting her upright.

To qualify that though - I have osteo-arthritis in my left wrist which makes any non-linear stress on the wrist absolute screaming agony, so I could just be being a wuss  :)
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 13:58:12 »
I went from a 1.7 litre Yamaha to a 650 strom. Loved it. Spent more time on it and had more fun on it than any of the previous four litre plus bikes. And met some of the weird and wonderful people on here as a bonus.

Offline paulo

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 16:26:14 »
Bought my 650 in 2012 as a stop gap after selling my Bandit 1250  - I've still got it! Peanuts to run, reliable, no fancy electronics, great tank range and comfy. I don't worry that it's a bit tatty to look at,
as it matches the look of the owner - but both are mechanically sound  - hopefully.

Offline Caffs

• Bike: BMW R1200GSA
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 19:22:14 »
I'm 60 and ride a 2017 V-strom 1000, I chose this over my last bike MT09 Tracer, for comfort and the extra torque,  yes it does entice you to ride harder (if you let it) I can't comment on the 650 but by all accounts it's as good some may say better.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 21:07:40 »
I have owned each of the V-Strom 650 generations. They are (were) all great but the current is the best - it's the smoothest, best accelerating and superior handling compared with the earlier models. Looks better too but some of the forum cronies who may have not even ridden one, like to say otherwise  :stirpot: Whatever you buy, they are all great but with good deals around your best bet is a new one (under £7k if you go on Autotrader or Ebay) I bought my 2020 on interest free and it is brilliant. If you buy used, watch out for neglect - a poorly maintained bike in winter can be questionable good value and some may have been off road. My previous Glee and Wee before that were wonderful bikes too. My main bike is very fast but I'll take the Strom out any day and just love the way it handles, as good as any sports bike but practical too.

Don't take much of the negative banter on here too seriously.

It's just that I'm right and everyone else is wrong!      :dance:

It's a brilliant forum with loads of useful advice and entertainment thrown in free!

Best of luck whatever you buy.

PS. I'm 71 if that helps  :old:   

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 00:49:12 »
As for centre of gravity, yes as said above the Strom is a little top heavy. But 2 things on this, it helps the bike effortlessly lean in on corners and the latest generation models have a low exhaust so feel better balanced.