Author Topic: K&N Air filter  (Read 2120 times)

Offline bladeowner

• Bike: DL650 L9, Honda Fireblade RRY
K&N Air filter
« on: March 09, 2021, 22:39:11 »
If anyone's in the market ....Just bought a K&N air filter - SU-1002 from Amazon for just £29.26 less than half the price of Sportsbike shop. Only a couple left.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
Re: K&N Air filter
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 12:33:28 »
     Why not just buy the standard filter for around£15-17 delivered to you door.Then wash your original out and keep it until the next change is required.

Ian Mc.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 13:01:50 »
Washing paper filters makes them clog up more as they breakdown with water.

K&N filters can be washed and oiled. Mine has done 30k miles and cost £38. So I'm spending less on one K&N than three papper ones.

Ride Coordinator

Offline bladeowner

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 13:23:41 »
I've had one in my Fireblade for the last 17 years. Still looks like new. In the unlikely event I sold the 'blade I could put the original back in and sell the K&N for more than I paid for it I bet.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 13:45:11 »
     In a previous life (in the 70’s) I worked for a company that had about 20 trucks, we used to service the engines and change air filters then wash the old filter with non- biological washing powder.Never had a problem.Its the manufacturers that spread rumours about them breaking down so you will buy new.I have had a spare since 2015 and changed it / washed it several times with no problem whatsoever and it still looks like new.In fact it is in my L2 now.It’s an acknowledged fact in the trade that K&N air filters let minute particles into the engine whereas the standard filters block them.Just my two pence worth.
Ian Mc.

Offline bladeowner

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 14:36:25 »
You are maybe right about small particles but actually in the real world it maybe doesn't matter. This bloke tested his K&N filters over 2 years  in 2017
and then again in 2019

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 16:07:07 »
Biggest issue with lifetime filters is the people who think that 'lifetime' translates to 'maintenance free' and so never wash them or re-oil them, I can completely believe they let more minute particles through if they're dry as a bone as my understanding is the oil does a lot of the dust catching.
If they're left to get as bad as mine was when I bought the bike then they let naff all through as they are essentially a solid matt of dead insects and fluff  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline bladeowner

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 16:31:40 »
I agree.  :thumb: According to K&N the minute particles have a better tendency to catch on the oil and micro fibres as opposed to going through the holes in a paper filter but I guess they would say that. Anyway my Fireblade has done 70000+ miles without any issues engine wise using one and so I think the Strom will be OK.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 20:35:43 »
Never felt the desire to wash out a single use paper filter, in the same way I don't wash out loo roll or tissues. Also never been a fan of cotton filters as there's better alternatives out there for greater flow without compromising filtration, like multi-layer foam.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Online Rixington43

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 21:56:49 »
I do prefer Pipercross filters if I'm buying it myself but I'm too tight to replace a free K&N 🤣.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 06:28:31 »
Not sure whether anyone may be interested in this DIY air filter as an alternative, http://s207653679.onlinehome.us/wsb4547739201/Air%20Filter.htm ? Haven't tried it myself but it was interesting to read what can be done, if in a pinch.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 06:32:02 »
Nothing wrong with K&N filters, I've had them in many bikes over the years, the most was an old CB500 and, when I owned it I covered 50k miles. That poor bike was thrashed to an inch of it's life on many trackdays, it's still going with over 120k on the clock .
I even had one in my Audi for 30k miles.   
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 09:55:35 »
I think your filter choice needs to follow the environment you use the bike in: I wouldn't be using a cotton filter in dusty conditions, but around town or on track they're OK.

As far as rebuilding a filter goes, you can get one for £15 for a Strom so why would you consider going to that trouble?

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline macvisual

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 10:45:10 »
Within the past two weeks I removed the K&N air filter from my DL1000 and used a K&N service kit, washed and re-oiled, then road tested and what an improvement. I highly recommend K&N...!

I also removed the rubber Snorkel from front of air-box to help induce more air intake into box, there's a lovely induction sound under acceleration.

mac
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Online Rixington43

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 11:08:29 »
Hello Mac

Yes the difference after a good wash and re-oil is pronounced. You may find the increased induction noise is as much to do with that as anything else.
I'd be cautious removing the snorkel though.
If yours is a first gen Vee then air is drawn in between the top of the radiator and the bottom of the headstock (there's even a nice metal plate there to channel the air between the plethora of cables and into the space behind the headstock).
That snorkel is presumably there to direct the updraft behind the headstock into the air box, removing it might actually reduce intake pressure even if the noise is more audible.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 13:39:19 »
If the airbox was more efficient without the snorkel then Suzuki wouldn't have gone to the trouble of designing it and the expense of fitting it. As well as catching air from an area that is better in terms of flow, maybe there's a temperature difference as well. Warm turbulent air will do wonders for intake efficiency.
But we all know that more noise has to equal more power though...

Orange Bikes Matter!

Online Rixington43

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 15:03:27 »
Please excuse the Fischer Price CFD here Mac, I'm not trying to be patronising by drawing pictures but I thought it might help explain the specifics for the V-Strom.
The gap between the radiator and headstock has a clear line of sight to open air when the bike is in motion and so there will be a nice, high speed, laminar flow being created by that smooth metal plate and then forced upwards when it hits the front of the airbox. The metal plate is even angled slightly upwards to assist this.
With the snorkel fitted, all this air is marshalled into the airbox and the smooth bend in the snorkel will mean nice clean airflow going into the airbox.
Remove the snorkel and most of that airflow will go straight past the inlet and either exit behind the handlebars or swirl around under your tank.
It will certainly make a lovely wooshing but I really would consider refitting it if optimum airflow is your goal. The cleaned filter alone will do plenty for the induction noise.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 18:50:42 »
Excellent drawing skills there Rixington, they deserve a special place in the gallery.

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.