Author Topic: 2016 DL650 XT AL6 (ABS) - Oil leak from rear shock?  (Read 958 times)

Offline Beaky Blinder

• Bike: DL650XT L6
2016 DL650 XT AL6 (ABS) - Oil leak from rear shock?
« on: March 04, 2021, 15:57:33 »
Good afternoon all,

Sorry I not have have been on for a while since my first post in the Newbies area, after months of little / no work I was suddenly inundated with the stuff.

As I mentioned in the newbies thread, I discovered a puddle of oil under the centre of the bike a day after using it, after not being used for a few months. It is kept in a reasonably dry garage and not used in extreme conditions, other than UK roads and has about 10.5k miles on it.

It looked like oil had accumulated in the lower coil spring / support, before running down onto the lower rear shock linkage and dripping onto the floor. The resultant spill formed a roughly triangular shape, about 2ft x 3ft, predominantly on the RHS. The oil is clear yellow and may have a faint smell of petrol to it. I have checked all over and can find no obvious source of an oil leak, the pre-load adjustment operates across the range and the suspension seems o.k., but I have not been out on the bike since. Strangely, I can see no oil on the shock absorber shaft itself. The breather pipes appear to be dry.

I have a good local bike shop near me, but wanted to garner opinions on whether this is likely to be an expensive trip and what options are available (and to give an idea that I know what I am talking about).

If it is the shock / seal that has goosed itself, is there any way to prevent this happening again.

I even considered the option that "someone" may have interfered with the bike whilst parked in central Brighton for an hour!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: 2016 DL650 XT AL6 (ABS) - Oil leak from rear shock?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 17:47:55 »
Hi ...

If your rear shock had dumped that amount of oil it would loose all of its damping capabilities and this would make the rear end of the bike bounce up and down like a pogo stick.

I'd suggest clean the area thoroughly, go for a ride and then check it again .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
Re: 2016 DL650 XT AL6 (ABS) - Oil leak from rear shock?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 18:00:51 »
Have you checked your brake fluids ? Especially the rear.
Ian Mc.