Author Topic: Cutting out  (Read 1086 times)

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Cutting out
« on: February 13, 2021, 02:10:07 »
Looking for opinions / advice / suggestions
DL1000 A8 (6000 miles)
Just before the latest lockdown I noticed an intermittent problem from time to time.
Typical scenario, pull up on a red light (bike fully warmed up) and wait, go to pull away and the engine cuts dead almost as if I’ve stalled. I’m only giving it very low revs, if I increase the revs slightly it’s not going to happen and the bike restarts without hesitation or difficulty.
What’s changed - additional heated clothing (jacket and gloves), could the additional load placed on the electrical system cause the engine to stall? This model is supposed to have low speed assist, unfortunately I haven’t been out to test this theory and verify if it is indeed the extra electrical load causing problems.
Could the electronic engine management be playing up, is this a symptom?
No error codes flash up, very very occasionally if I snap the throttle open and then close and reopen it again I may get the engine to cough momentarily very briefly, typical V Twin characteristic?
My concern is this problem will happen on a low speed manoeuvre causing the bike to just flop over and die, taking me with it.
Thoughts?
Should point out, with every electrical item on with exception of the horn, the volt meter is still showing around 13.5v (high beam, spots, heated clothing etc).
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Cutting out
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 06:40:15 »
It sounds like this may be either TPS or the Low RPM Assist feature related. One would have to place the bike into dealer mode and do a test ride to reproduce the failure, then hope that there is a dealer mode code displayed.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 08:21:56 »
Have to tried a test ride with all of the extras turned off?
Assuming the petrol is fresh.

The low speed assist on my SV650 allows me to pull away with right hand off and zero throttle.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 10:24:54 »
Yeah, needs a test ride and changing some of those variables. You seem to suspect the electricals, what does the battery read without the engine running? Does it seem slower than usual to start? Cold kills batteries. Fresh fuel, and a good blast might be all it needs! Another idea is to check the operation of the exhaust valve/flap the 1000's have
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 11:22:42 »
Thank you for the replies  :thumb:
Just to add a couple of points.......
Fuel is fresh (prior to lockdown the tank was refilled a few times) so hopefully not that, I did take a look at the butterfly valve I.e. up on the centre stand blip the throttle - smoothly opens and closes (I tend to drench that mechanism in GT85 before each ride).
Battery is on an optimate / turns over and starts instantly no hesitation at all.
There was something I’ve forgotten to mention, during lockdown I’ve been running the engine bringing it up to operating temperature waiting for the fan to kick in, so it’s getting hot. Anyway, during this process I’m blipping the throttle / holding the throttle so the engine is spinning between 2000 to 3000 rpm.
I have noticed with a constant throttle say around 2500 rpm, the engine starts hunting around, dropping in revs and recovering back to 2500 rpm. This doesn’t seem to be a problem when riding the bike..........air getting in somewhere perhaps (I’ve never removed the air box).
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away