Author Topic: 1st Trip abroad  (Read 2530 times)

Offline SgtSmash

1st Trip abroad
« on: March 12, 2010, 20:18:54 »
Hi blokes/gurls

I'm a noob at touring - I'm supposed to be going on a 10/12 day tour to South of France in early June.

We're staying at a mix of campsites and cheap B&Bs.

Any tips? Advice?

I'm going with three other lads, all lads in the "job" and they're all riding Beemers, so I don't want to let the side down!!

don't forget, total virgin at this touring lark so ANY info greatly appreciated - however, I know they speak French in France, they drive on the wrong side of the road and the local currency is Euro.  Any OTHER info would be appreciated  :ty:

Thanks
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .

Offline SgtSmash

Re: 1st Trip abroad
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 20:30:47 »
While I remember - can anyone recommend a tent (make/model) which will take up minimal space on the bike - ta!
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 21:33:18 »
Sleeping bag, remember you're going somewhere warm, so not too heavy, a cheap one will do. Get a liner for it, something in fleece is good, the just use the bag as a duvet, I.e. put it over the top but don't get in it. That way if you get too hot you can throw it off. If it does get cold you can get into the bag properly.

Take an airbed, cheap ones about £10, a thermarest or such is great, but you're somewhere hot, so comfort is more important. If the cold is coming up through the ground, put your outer clothing under the airbed. A blow up pillow if the airbed doesn't have one.

Tent, get a 2 person tent, gives you just that little bit more room to move about in. Which means you can be a little less organised about what you keep in the tent. Keep an eye on the shop 'Great Outdoors' they have some great deals at times. Do not get one of those tents that 'spring' open. They don't fold up small enough. And DO have a go at putting the tent up before you go, and yes you do need a degree in origami to get the bloody thing back in the bag it arrived in, so if you can, get another, preferably waterproof, not to keep the tent dry, but to protect everything else if it gets wet.

Take a pee bottle, there's nothing worse than having to blunder about a camp site at night. Size of the neck is optional as long as you can get Mr Wriggly right in there, you do NOT want to spill it or miss in the tent.  :-x

A torch or lantern, a headtorch is good. Some cord to make a clothes line and make repairs.
It's better to regret something you've done, than something you haven't done.

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 00:02:07 »
Don't forget your hi viz or the gendarmes will give you a hard time, you don't have to wear it all the time, only if you have a breakdown or accident . Don't forget KEEP RIGHT!
Most of all have fun riding, the locals can be very friendly. A few words of French will be well received even if it's just please and thank you. You don't need to be fluent
I've not ridden in the south, but if Normandy and Brittany are anything to go by, you will have a great time
Darren

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:06:26 »
European breakdown cover is a must (for your BMW riding mates of course... :neen: ), often cheapest through your insurance company oddly enough, but make sure it covers recovery of the bike if you are ill. A decent set of tools between you - there is no need for everyone to have the same thing, divvie it up among you. Puncture repair kit, it's never happened to me abroad but it could take the edge off the best of holidays. Spare bulb kit, insulating tape & some tie wraps. The tape & tie wraps will fix 99% of travelling problems, honest. Enjoy   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 09:04:19 »
A few years ago I discovered Green Flag doing very cheap european breakdown cover - but on reading the fine print I discovered it only covered you for the first 40 minutes of the mechanic's time!! So read the policy carefully.

The AA five star cover is quite expensive but I've had great reports from blokes who needed their help. Amazingly, in all the miles I've done abroad, I've never had a breakdown. BUT, I don't regret spending the money.

Also, make sure that you get travel insurance which allows you to ride the bike - most of them specifically exclude it. Make sure you read a specimine policy to be absolutely certain before you buy because often the tele sales girlies don't have a clue exactly what is covered - do not accept a "summary of cover", it's not worth the paper it's printed on. I have used the AA or Cooperative Insurance most years.

Make sure you get a European Healthcare Insurance Card, it's free from the NHS at the site below and will save you lots of money and hassle if you get sick or injured abroad.
https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:13:49 »
Also, I can't recommend this tent highly enough, I've got one and I love it - it made my Khyam redundant.

It's a full size, top quality tent, but it only weighs 3Kg and rolls up to only 40cm long and about 15cm in diameter, so it fits very easily in a Suzuki top box or pannier - in fact it can go in the top box "long ways" leaving room for helmet and other stuff.

It's the own make of Decathlon sports, a French firm who only have a few stores in the UK, but they sell on line at
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/t3-ultralight-pro-3243187/

And their guarantee offers instant replacement at any of their stores, there are 230 in France.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:22:44 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
Also, I can't recommend this tent highly enough, I've got one and I love it - it made my Khyam redundant.

It's a full size, top quality tent, but it only weighs 3Kg and rolls up to only 40cm long and about 15cm in diameter, so it fits very easily in a Suzuki top box or pannier - in fact it can go in the top box "long ways" leaving room for helmet and other stuff.

It's the own make of Decathlon sports, a French firm who only have a few stores in the UK, but they sell on line at
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/t3-ultralight-pro-3243187/

And their guarantee offers instant replacement at any of their stores, there are 230 in France.

Nice tent ! I noticed on the link page on the capaity part it states 'large bell end', made me laugh anyway...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline raggydan

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 09:54:54 »
I can recommend this tent..http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acata ... _Tent.html

Also,depending on what luggage you have I would consider 1 of these...http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/product_info.p ... cycle-bags

Puncture repair kit or ultraseal the tyres before you go.

Mosquito repellent!

Basic first aid kit.

Head torch.

Single air matress.(cold ground is NOT good).

I don't agree with buying a cheap sleeping bag, buy the best and lightest you can afford, 2/3 season.
you'd be suprised at how cold nights can sometimes be.Just my opinion.

Bike to bike comms are a great luxury.

Other than that enjoy your self, riding abroad is much fun than over here.

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 13:11:22 »
Tried the bike to bike comms on my first trip to France with 3 mates. The 2 flash gits with the newest bikes had brought some fancy radios and head sets, while me and the other chap had cheap stuff. Every thing fine on the way to the feryy in Poole ( only 5 miles from home) as soon as we hit French soil the 2 expensive set ups stopped working, I've never seen 2 grown men have such tantrums. We had told them not to buy the most expensive stuff as it is not always the best! The 2 flab gits spent the rest of the week carrying useless crap while the rest of us had excellent comms.
If you want to still be mates after the trip, don't take comms

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 13:47:42 »
We've got a place in central France and go over (car and bike) as often as possible. Fully agree with all above points, especially your travel insurance. Few years back a mate took out cover with a well known high street and internet broker and was assured that it covered riding a motorcycle. He had a spill and needed flying back home and when we contacted his insurer lo and behold he wasn't covered. Cost him over £1000 with taxis and scheduled air fares to get home.
        Also agree with using Ultraseal. Getting a puncture in remote rural France, even if you're with other riders can be a nightmare as bike shops are much rarer there. Make sure your tyres will last the whole trip. I've done 2,500 miles in six days to Spain and back on new tyres and had to replace them when back home again! Can get quite expensive! Also suggest you take a debit  card as well as credit cards.  A lot of French petrol stations won't work with credit cards.  Very important this. Tell you bank and credit card company that you are going to France. If you don't they may block it when you use it thinking it has been stolen. Also suggest you always carry some Euros because some stations won't work with debit cards either!
       Simple point but make sure all in the group all have each others mobile numbers so if you get split up you can contact each other. Avoid Paris unless you want to get lost there or you actually want to visit it! Suggest you stick to speed limits, especially in towns and villages. Fixed cameras have a sign warning you of one ahead, but police with radar detectors are not uncommon and will levy fines on the spot, which are set according to how fast over the limit you are going.
       The quickest way to get anywhere is usually on the motorways or peage toll roads but in my opinion are the most boring. Most enjoyable are the N roads (yellow on maps) which are better than our A roads but with much less traffic. French car drivers put ours to shame. They'll often pull over to let you pass (give them a thankyou wave- usually with your right foot) and there's a lot less of them, but don't be surprised if you get overtaken on a motorway by a grey haired old lady in her Peugeot 106 doing 95mph!
       Virtually all towns, even the small ones have a campsite so finding somewhere to stay won't be a problem. However, if you're out in the sticks somewhere you'd be wise to get set up early as a lot of French bars and restaurants close early in the evening and you may not find anywhere to eat. Also bear in mind that most of France still closes between 12ish and 2.30ish for lunch (including the petrol stations). The cheapest places to buy fuel are the supermarkets, typically up to 20 centimes cheaper than petrol stations. Also on fuel, most stations sell 95 and 98 octane petrol (Essence) and some are now selling a petrol/alcohol mix. The general view is to avoid this although most modern engines should be OK with it and stick to regular 95 which is fine.  
      Should you decide not to camp for any reason, the cheapest hotels are the F1 and Etap chains. These can be found on the trading estates of most big towns with restaurants nearby. These will usually cost around 30 to 40 Euros a night for a double room. Just make sure you like who you're sharing with! They usually have secure parking facilities which is also a relief.
     Don't let anything anyone has said put you off in anyway. I love the place and if all goes to plan will be moving there in the next few months, complete with bikes, cats and wife (almost forgot!). The South especially the Pyrenees and into northern Spain and Andorra are fabulous places to ride and I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Just get prepared properly and have a great time.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 14:05:27 »
Forgot to mention, have you learnt the BMW wave yet. Most important you do this as it takes a while and a bit of practice- took me a while anyway! A nod to other bikers is just not good enough. You have to take your hand of the bar (clutch not throttle!) and raise your arm with hand facing forward. Possibly has some Teutonic historical meaning but I can't comment further. You'll see French bikes just wave with left arm facing downwards trying to look very_cool.

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 14:55:09 »
Hello

Thanks for all the tips so far - they're great.  I totally forgot about Insect Repellant.

The beemer boys are all worried about something breaking on their bike - perhaps I'm placing too much trust in my bike or perhaps I haven't fully understood the implications of breaking down but I've been thinking along the lines of "Hello, it's France, its a European Country - it's not a 3rd world country.  Have my VISA card - everything can be sorted."

Will definitely be checking my insurance!  As for the hi-vis jkts - I've got 100's of the buggers....... might debadge them first though!

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 15:37:23 »
One more question.... we're going via Le Shuttle...... what about strapping the bike down ?

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 16:44:29 »
Of all these tips, I vote the most valuable ones as...............the cable ties and the pee bottle! No, really. I mean it.

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 16:46:29 »
You don't leave the bike on the tunnel, you stay in the carriage with your bike

Offline Catballou

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 00:02:49 »
I've no advice, it's years since I went to France & we did it in the c*r

Just hope you have fun & take loads of pictures  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline Backdraft

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 09:21:43 »
Some great tips in this lot - I normally go twice a year and have enjoyed every single moment (even when it rained for 4 days solid in June!)   All I can add is that lay out what you think you need and then half it, look again and then half that - nothing worse than 10 days on an overladen bike (or give it all to the BMWs and leave them standing!)  I personally like staying at rural B and B as they are so friendly and normally cheap with a basic breakfast thrown in and I always give the bike a 'small' service before I go.

Crdit card, mobile, breakdown insurance, Sat Nav or map - enjoy.

PS - I'm sure that a lot of people here remember the days before all the gear - I remember going to Le Mans (1992) on an old Honda 600 with a rucksack, some shorts, flip flops and some cash - no cards, no phone and no idea !!  :grin:
life is for living

Offline John

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 19:29:52 »
Quote from: "raggydan"
I
I don't agree with buying a cheap sleeping bag, buy the best and lightest you can afford, 2/3 season.
you'd be suprised at how cold nights can sometimes be.Just my opinion.

The reason I say buy a cheap bag is that some people, no matter what, do not like camping. So it's a shame to waste the money on expensive stuff, then lose money flogging it.
Tesco have some sleeping bags for around £20 and a fleece liner for just under £8.
It's better to regret something you've done, than something you haven't done.

Offline raggydan

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 20:43:25 »
Understand what you meant John,like I said it's just my opinion,  
But in the past I've usually found that its "buy cheap,buy twice".Granted that isn't
always true... :thumb: