Author Topic: Mode button stays down  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
Re: Mode button stays down
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 21:31:44 »
Acf 50 liberally sprayed into all switch gear and any electrical connector you can find will serve you well.

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 10:39:40 »
So a spray is the solution then. Then the question is then which - acf-50 is anti-corrosion. I don't think corrosion is my problem

Why not silicone? It is lube for both plastic, rubber and metal and it keeps water away.

Still... do you really think this is acceptable on a 3 months old MC?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 11:58:58 »
You were already told the real solution: it is under warranty so get it looked at by the dealer. Sprays are not the answer to the root cause.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline bonne

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 12:13:35 »
I agree, but I have an issue with Suzuki here - I have to fight with them to get warranty repairs

Regards, Lars.

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 13:13:34 »
Doing something yourself that is only a temporary fix is going to make getting the dealer to do something harder if they're as bad as you make out. You were told they'd fix it at the service but you decided to spray stuff all over it in the meantime.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline bonne

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 13:45:34 »
you misunderstand.

I had a DL650 that were serviced by Auth Suzuki. When it has problems with the ABS, no one wanted to fix it on warranty until I threatened them with a law suit.

Because I like the Suzuki MC, I upgraded to the new 1050 after the DL650 was fixed.

Now this one has this issue even before it's first service is due.

I plan on doing the service on this bike myself... and the dealer has... in my eyes no right to make the warranty repair depended if I make the first service at them or not

Am I unreasonable?

Are you angry?

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 14:08:30 »
I'm not the angry one: look back at your posts and tell me who is. You asked for advice and you got it, but you don't want to go that path, despite this dealer saying they'll fix it. Fix it or just keep spraying with snake oil: it's not my bike that has an issue this new so I don't really care either way.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 14:28:30 »
I do not know consumer law in your country and so it is hard to give advice in that area. In the UK the seller, in this case the dealer has the legal resposibility to supply goods of a specific quality. In fact, manufacturer's offer a warranty with the vehicle in order to give support and confidence to the dealer. But it remains the dealer's responsibility to provide a remedy if goods are faulty. Waranty  conditions imposed by the manufacturer DO NOT over rule the requirements of UK law.
It reasonable for a UK customer to demand the dealer takes effective remedial action to comply with UK consumer law without the agreement of the manufacturer because it is the dealer that is liable. However, speaking for myself and not knowing consumer law in Sweeden I would not presume to offer advice on warranty claims or the obligations of dealers.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 15:47:30 »
All the dealer/Suzuki will do in the first place is squirt the button with a lubricant as it could be a bit of dirt causing the issue. If that doesn't fix it, they're likely to replace the switch.
I'd possibly misread your first post as they said they'd fix it at your first service which was more or less due, rather than they'd only fix it IF you had them service it. If the latter is the case that's not right & I'd be surprised if that's how Suzuki operate (then again it depends what Sweedish law says they're responsible for in what circumstances)

Offline bonne

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2021, 17:12:46 »
Maybe it is because English is not my native language that I am not making myself clear.

Both Denmark and Sweden has legislation similar to what you describe in the UK. On all new products within the first 6 months from purchase all malfunctions found are legally considered to have been present from manufacture and the dealer has to fix this. One thing is what the law describe - another is what is being practiced. I have written about my issues the the Suzuki Dealer as well as the distributor - I am not going to repeat these, if I have to claim my warranty, I have to go the legal way - and if it is correct what you write that the dealer just will spray the contacts - it is not worth the troubles. I can just spray the contacts myself

As I wrote in my original post, the dealer says "IF I go to them and make the first service, they will fix it". They do not say "come and we will fix it for you".

Furthermore, the dealer says, that if you do not follow the all service at an authorised dealer, the warranty will not be valid anymore. This is also in contrast to the legislation as all malfunctions found within the first 6 months has to be fixed by the dealer.

As I had the problems with the DL650, I will not follow the service at authorised dealers. Paying more then 300€ for an oil change is silly - especially when you have to fight for your rights as a consumer when you need things fixed on warranty.

But the solution will probably be spray... and when spray no longer works, I will have to take it from there.

I hope I have cleared the confussion?

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2021, 20:53:19 »
Good luck with the fix  :fix:
If my experience of Suzuki dealers was like that, I wouldn't buy a Suzuki or any bike from them regardless of what I thought of the make/bike. I'd rather go somewhere that values their customers.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2021, 22:21:30 »
It is difficult to understand native culture and law if you don't experience the Scandinavian situation as bonne does.

I've had issues with Suzuki here in France. Remember the stator recall on the DL650 two or three years back? I told them they had to drain the oil before and renew it after the work. Well I was laughed at because it was explained to me that only a few drops of oil was lost during the proceedure. Yes, they pocketed from Suzuki, if that was the deal for them but I don't know it was, just because it was reported as such on these boards.

Add to that the variations of attitudes from dealer to dealer then you have a wide spectrum of customer care.

bonne's problem appears to be a minor one and if it was much more serious, like the bike stalling/cutting out or worse then I'd expect the dealer to sort it within the warranty period straight away. However you have to stick to the warranty schedule for servicing to maintain the guarantee.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline bonne

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 10:47:10 »
As I understand, it is more because of low pay from the Suzuki distributor. They only pay a fraction to the dealers compared to what they can charge customers directly.

Furthermore, I understand from this forum that Suzuki distributor demands heavy documentation from the dealers making it complicated for them to do the repair.

Yeah. I should have bought another brand )-:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2021, 11:04:55 »
The interweb is full of stories of Dealers not being up to much when it comes to Customer Service. Look long enough and you find examples from every brand.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2021, 12:23:33 »
If you think Suzuki are bad don't buy a Triumph!
  Same thing with my tiger8, dealer said if you get the service done we'll  put the warranty through( disc and rear shock) but after paying 200 quid Triumph said no. And that was only the start.
My mode button has never stuck in 6 years but I never use it, set traction control on 1 and leave it, no power modes on my 1000, unlike the 1050 but with only 95hp tops at the rear tyre I'd leave on max at all times.

Offline bonne

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2021, 20:36:15 »
Yeah, I have a friend with the Speed Triple - Engine was leaking oil, and he also had to fight to get it fixed on warranty

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2021, 20:45:43 »
"Triumphs are meant to leak oil Sir, it's part of the Triumph heritage"

Ride Coordinator

Offline bonne

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 09:46:36 »
I think actually they said something similar to that...

Offline numptynut

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 10:28:28 »
Thanks for pointing this out 'bonne'.
I checked my mode switch out yesterday and found it to be similar, so I sprayed it with GT85 and will see if it helps. My bike is about 6 months old and has had its first service - where the dreaded 'Spanner' service interval wasn't reset! :shrug:
Stromtrekking across the universe always going forward 'coz we can't find reverse

Puch MS50V (45 yrs ago!) > Yamaha EW 50 Slider (Daughter's!) > Honda XL125V > V-Strom 650 > Versys 1000 > V-Strom DL1050

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2021, 12:55:39 »
I would add BMW are a pain with warranty claims and you really get satisfaction, but you do get a big bill.