Author Topic: Adding extra electrical output, best place to splice into?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Hutchie

Hiyo ,

I'm quite happy working on a bike, electrics being my weakest point.

Going to add a electric output (cigarette lighter socket thingy) to my shiny silver Weestrom.

Now, I have read tons about this, taking a live from the back light etc etc.

I was just wondering (and I've not looked at the bike since thinking about this) , is that the best place to splice into, or is there anywhere more sensible.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worth sticking  a second fusebox onto the bike, for tidiness (got one kicking about somewhere)?

Open to suggestions,
cheers

Offline V-Strom-Mark

Re: Adding extra electrical output, best place to splice int
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 00:39:15 »
I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  I think I might actually install two outlets one on the fairing that is switched with the ignition and one that connects directly to the battery but is under the seat on a lead.  I would certainly have them both fused, don't need any mishaps.

You might want to check out this site.  I believe the bloke running it is a Canadian living in Japan and offers a lot of accessories for the Strom:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Spec ... m.html#3cs

it looks like he offers his stuff with the correct connectors so there isn't any splicing needed.

Just a thought.

Cheers.
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:04:34 »
You need to wire to a constant live feed otherwise you have to turn the ignition on to get power to your 12V socket. I always wire them direct to the battery, with an inline fuse on the positive wire, mainly because I don't want to turn my ignition on when I'm using a 12V pump for my airbed at a rally.

Offline harryv

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 06:34:59 »
Would agree with jasper best wired direct to the battery,can be bought on ebay  wired with an inline fuse for 6 or 7 pounds depending how long you need the wires to be

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:42:27 »
The Eastern Beaver thingy electrical stuff, I had a look around their list of bits, and was more confused than ever. It all looks like great wee bits of kit, but it's whooshed right over my head.

I'm going to go straight off the battery, keep it nice and simple.

Thanks strommers

Offline Dr.Jekyll

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:17 »
Eastern Berver stuff is very, very good, I have it on om 650 and its great.

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:48:35 »
Thanks folks,
I spent a wee while looking around, and just this minute ordered a pc8 for the vstrom from Eastern Beaver.
Looks like the level of simplicity I require. Perfect.

I'll let you know if I blow the bike up fitting it :)

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 15:27:36 »
All that stuff looks really good - just a shame I don't know what any of it does!

I bought some horns (motrax) I think - two horns.  I'm not so dull to wire them straight up to the standard horn switch.

what's going to the best way to wire them up?  What about mounting them?

Sorry to hijack the thread too!
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 15:50:29 »
Well the PC8 thing that I have just bought is simplicity.

As far as I can make out, it plugs straight to the bike, and the battery, no wires get the chop.
You then have 8 outputs available to use, e.g. extra horns, cig lighter socket, compressor, hairdryer, cuddly toy

If it doesn't, it'll be a very expensive desk ornament.

Why can't you just disconnect the horn, and plug the new ones straight on to replace it. Am I that daft that I am missing something?

Offline harryv

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 17:53:28 »
Be careful how many circuts you wire there is only around 100w to play with before the system ie battery, alternator become strained,if wiring lights best to use led,s there is a post somewhere on this forum about  it also check what wattage the items you want to wire in comsume ,you should have enough to run a Sat Nav lights etc but not sure about compressor

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 02:39:45 »
apparently you can't connect the two horns straight onto the current horn circuit as it will over load it and burn the wiring out or something like that.

The current horn circuit has to be connected to a "new" horn relay which connects to both horns.  Does that make sense?

Anyone done this before - where would be the best place to mount them>
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:14 »
Quote from: "SgtSmash"
apparently you can't connect the two horns straight onto the current horn circuit as it will over load it and burn the wiring out or something like that.

The current horn circuit has to be connected to a "new" horn relay which connects to both horns.  Does that make sense?

Anyone done this before - where would be the best place to mount them>

Two horns on the existing circuit will likely draw too much current for the existing wiring.  You will probably have to wire the horns with a heavier gauge wire to a relay that is activated by the existing horn wires.

The best place to mount the horns is probably behind the fairing, similar to the original, out of the spray and muck etc.

Hopefully that all makes sense, we're o n a weekend away and it's late and I've had a couple. :grin:
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline GrahamT

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 09:40:40 »
I replaced a feeble horn on my old Diversion with two snail horns without a relay. They wouldn't sound just on battery, which was pretty old, but worked fine when the engine was running. My theory was that if the current was too high, it would blow the fuse. The fuse never blew, but I did give a few jaywalking pedestrians heart attacks.  :grin:

If you want to be really sure, use a relay. Take a direct, fused, feed from the battery to the relay using the correct thickness wire, then from the relay to the horns. Then, use the current horn cable to switch the relay on. As this is controlled by the ignition, the horns will only operate when the ignition is on, just like now.

Having said that, I am quite impressed by the standard Suzuki horn. It certainly does the job, so I haven't replaced it - yet.
We used to have Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.
Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope.