Author Topic: Strom found on its side after storm last night.  (Read 1278 times)

Offline BigTim

• Bike: DL650 2006
Strom found on its side after storm last night.
« on: December 27, 2020, 11:30:56 »
Having moved house recently with double garage to no garage, I'm in the process of building a shed to house the strom. Until then its sitting under a new Oxford prods cover.
Unfortunately the cover has filled in all the gaps the wind might pass through, so at 04.30 I happened to look outside to see if my shed was still there (one hell of a storm over Surrey last night) and found the bike on its side.
Somehow managed to pick it up. Top box torn off, so need a new Givi plate, but apart from that, looks OK on first inspection. It has Heed crash protection, which has done its job. Also landed on grass, which helped.
No idea how long it was on its side and am reluctant to try to start it. Its been upright for around 7 hours, so hopefully the oil is back where it should be. What should I expect ? What can I do in preparation for starting ? I'm guessing its going to smoke a bit ?
Any advice most welcome....

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Strom found on its side after storm last night.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 11:40:41 »
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your misfortune but these things happen. From previous tales of bikes falling over the things to check are the side stand switch and clutch switch wiring for coming dislodged or damaged as this can cause issues. If these are OK then press the button. Bikes fall over. It happens.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 12:09:31 »
Hope all is okay, Tim :thumb:  Apart from what Tallpaul says, another thing is the tip over switch might need resetting if you get a FI light, usually just by cycling the ignition switch a few times
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline BigTim

• Bike: DL650 2006
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 15:05:13 »
Thanks all. Turned the key, hit the button and started like every other day.... Panic over..

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 17:09:08 »
 :thumb:

Maybe do without the cover until the shed thing is done.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 17:47:35 »
What surface is it standing on? Could you fix tie-downs on each side to the crash bars if you anchored them in the ground? Or at least, on the left to keep it anchored on the side stand?

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 18:32:42 »
And thank you for the storm - it has now reached my part of the continent. (-:

As I have no shed, I also use a cover although not from Oxford. I just had to take a look at the new bike to see if it is still standing upright, and fortunately, it still does.

I know that the cover can act as a sail, and during storms, I am told that is it better to removed the cover. How heavy was the storm in your part?

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 08:42:32 »
My mate had the same thing happen to him ..he moved house , no garage a strong wind got up and blew his bike over .you are a bit better off than him insurance wrote it off ..

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 19:00:41 »
I never use the cover, and never had any problem. And there was many times the winds were blowing everything everywhere. My bike rock solid, never tipped over.

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 19:43:27 »
I guess the 650 is lighter than the 1000 pic  :shrug:
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 06:23:00 »
A lot would also depend on the wind direction, in relation to the bike stand. Like most, whenever parking with the bike on the kick stand / side stand, it is best to put the bike into 1st gear plus cock / lock the steering, to prevent any forward movement. If the wind direction is towards the side stand, there is less chance of any wind causing the bike to take a nap. However, if the wind helps take the bike weight off the side stand, either through strong winds or the cover acting like a sail, could be enough allow the stand to give way. Then there is the type of surface that the stand rests on. It may sound like a lot of hogwash, but most of the long time riders take this into account automatically.