Author Topic: Frost (cold) Warning Light  (Read 1839 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Frost (cold) Warning Light
« on: December 25, 2020, 22:38:09 »
I was out on Dartmoor for a ride today. It was a lovely day but when the temperature dropped, an orange light came on to tell me so. To be honest, I hadn't noticed it was quite so cold and it was a great ride, I rode like a Super God and would have made all of you look like novices, if you could have kept up.  :whistle:

Thing is though, one small thing annoyed me from the moment I saw it, the orange light! Is there anyway to turn it off?

Thank you in advance.  :xmas-smile:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Frost (cold) Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 06:07:58 »
Thus far, I don't recall reading of anyone complaining about the light before. The complaints have mainly been that it was damn cold. Short of removing the light, cutting the power to the light or encasing the temp pickup sensor, etc, I think the quickest solution would be to place a strip of tape over the light.

Offline clutchspring

• Bike: DL1000XT M0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 07:43:41 »
Why would any one want to , it's a safety warning !!!. Like you said you didn't think it was that cold so in my opinion that light made you the rider aware of the possibility of low temperature or even ice.

Ian😗.

Offline BlackRockFox

• Bike: DL650A XT M0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 08:40:55 »

Thing is though, one small thing annoyed me from the moment I saw it, the orange light! Is there anyway to turn it off?

Thank you in advance.  :xmas-smile:

Yes, ride when it's warmer  :sunny:

When I used to ride 365 I was very grateful for the light as a safety reminder
But, each to his own  :icon_wink:

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 09:16:34 »
It’s a safety warning and shouldn’t be able to be turn it off on any vehicle. 
Never too old to ride!

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 09:31:44 »
The only time I could imagine it being a problem would be riding at night on unlit roads. When working in Scotland and driving a lot on unlit roads with full beam, I found the blue "full beam" indicator light on the car dashboard very bright and distracting. A 20 pack of Regal King Size was just the right size to cover it up. The orange ice light isn't quite as much in the line of sight, though, and as said previously it's there to remind us not to go chucking the bike about with wild abandon. I'd leave well alone.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 11:16:41 »
Gone are the days of pure riding ability and common sense, instead, we rely little flashing lights ...  :groan:

As riders , we are open to all weather elements so why would you need a warning light to tell you it's cold on a motorcycle   lol

Not sure about anyone else but I trust my own riding ability more than an electronic assistant ..  :smirk:

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 11:30:26 »
When cocooned in Thinsulate and Gerbings electric gear, it might not always feel cold enough to be slippy. Until it's too late? Maybe.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 12:12:31 »
Could easily say the same about the other gizmos like fuel gauges or rev counters then. You have to remember that common sense has been bred out of the general population, along with being accountable for their own poor decisions...
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 13:11:52 »
How true Mr nick.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 14:07:06 »
When cocooned in Thinsulate and Gerbings electric gear, it might not always feel cold enough to be slippy. Until it's too late? Maybe.

Sorry rusty, I disagree. 

No matter how warm you are your ability to feel road conditions stays the same.

Too many gizmos leads to unsuspecting riders thinking thier ambitions outweigh their abilities.

With that said though, I kid you not, I've had customers come to our shop not even knowing one of thier tyres are flat ...  :angry-banghead:

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 14:42:06 »
Always fun to see the messes that cocky people end up in when they run out of what little talent they have and find bravado counts for nothing.
I had a workmate in my old job who kept pushing the limits on where he could take his van come snowy roads time and one year he got stuck on a minor road and had to abandon it & walk to the nearest main road. When I took him back up for it once the JCBs had done their part clearing the way, all you could see of the van above the drift was the yellow light on top: I dropped him off with a shovel, took a picture & wished him luck. That pic went up on the office wall with the tagline '...where angels fear to tread.' He thought it was a compliment to his bravery, but didn't get the point of the rest of the saying.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 19:53:02 »
Heh! I'd say just be patient, Doc 46, and your brain will probably 'unsee' it soon enough. It's not incredibly bright (the light, not your brain!), and it's a perceptual thing. See how it goes, be more zen! :grin:

(And if you do end up 'stickering' it, remember to peel it off right after the accident) :icon_wink:

"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 10:39:18 »
Thank you all for your kind replies. I have owned bikes since I was 12 and this is the first to have a temperature light, never been caught out yet because of it. The untreated parts of the road on the moor had frozen so I knew there was something going on.

I don't mind the light coming on to tell me it's cold, I just thought there would be a way to turn it off after it's warning. Never mind, I'll live with it for a while then dim it with a quality street wrapper and a bit of tape if it still bothers me.

Happy New Year all of you.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 21:07:20 »
Why would any one want to , it's a safety warning !!!. Ian😗.

Whilst I agree that a low-temperature warning light is a very useful and (arguably) necessary thing, I have found it unduly intrusive over the past 6 years commuting, and since it's usually only cold during the winter months, it's (generally) dark when the light activates - and then sits there flashing, right in the middle of the display for at least 30 seconds, if not a minute.

Personally speaking, at night, I find it very bright, highly intrusive, very distracting and incredibly annoying.

...admittedly that may have been because I had to traverse Salisbury Plain at night (on the roads, of course :) ) on several occasions over a couple of winters where the temperature always seemed to fluctuate between 2 and 5 degrees, setting the damn thing off at least half a dozen times each time I crossed it.   Believe me, that got old VERY quickly! ### 

I wouldn't have minded a 5 or 10 second warning, but if you're riding, or starting up/getting on a bike, do you really need a 30 second continuous reminder that the bike thinks it's cold out there? If it's 3 degrees or below, you should bloody well know it and be alert ('cos we're running out of lerts...)!

Anyway - that's enough out of me or this thread will end up being moved to the moaning old git section  :grin:

It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year