Author Topic: battery question  (Read 1312 times)

Offline horobags

• Bike: DL250
battery question
« on: December 05, 2020, 12:15:28 »
I've not had much time to ride the strom recently, went to get it out last sunday and battery was dead, wouldn't charge so I've bought a new one. Now with my work load its going to be 3 weeks before I ride again, so do I keep the battery packed up in a warm house, or should I fit it and trickle charge it once a week??? Its a sealed Yuasa.
ta,

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
Re: battery question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:20:29 »
Hi, I would put it on a battery minder, but if you can not due to location then remove the battery and take it indoors and keep it charged, batteries do not like standing idle for long periods and the more you keep them fully charged the longer they will last.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 13:01:20 »
don't ride much at all from November until April, my battery stays on the bike and is left connected to an Oxford battery minder. I never have any problems

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 13:17:09 »
4 bikes and 2 battery chargers mean that mine aren't left on permanently as some batteries don't actually like that, despite what the charger makers would tell you.

I check the bikes every week or so and they go on charge when the level drops a bit. Different bikes have different current draw when switched off 990 & SP3 both have clocks and the SP3 one is mechanical so draws more: V50 has nothing so it's just self discharge to keep an eye on there.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 13:21:33 »
If you've got power near the bike then stick one of these on it.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/470768?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk_TJ0_a27QIVkt_tCh3ajAa1EAQYAiABEgJzF_D_BwE
I've used one for years now, although I only put it on for 2/3 days at a time then leave it off for a few weeks.
Some say leave them connected some don't......... :shrug: 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 13:55:49 »
I have a charger that I built and modified myself from a professional unit that is fitted to emergency generators in hospitals, data centres etc.They are switched on 24/7 as the sets need to start at any time automatically if the power goes off.It doesn't harm the batteries as they are only set to 13.6 volts float voltage.Plus I have mine on a plug in timer so it only comes on for half an hour a day.This is enough to keep the battery in good condition through the winter when the bike is stood.
Ian Mc.

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 16:19:54 »
I use an optimate 3, my bike is always connected to it summer and winter - no issues in 18 months. I’m not sure if it’s bad for the battery doing that, but so far no problems whatsoever. This is a tender by the way so it’s not constantly applying charge, it checks in with battery every so often and decides how much charge is required.
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 16:40:12 »
I have already got 3 of these they are a really good bit of kit I leave mine on all winter no problems  :thumb:
In fact at that price from the sports bike shop I have just ordered another for spare cheers Mick  :thumb:

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 18:38:58 »
You should only need a check/top up once a month so I think it's totally unecessary to leave the battery connected for nothing.

It's at least (if only) a waste of electricity for anything left on standby.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline stealthtech

• Bike: 2020 DL1050XTM0 2017GSXR750L7
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 19:06:07 »
2x bikes, 2x Oxford Oximisers.....interesting thread this, I thought it was best to leave them on permanently. Great to hear differing views from those with years of experience!!!  :text-goodpost:
2020 DL1050XT Glass Sparkle Black
2017 GSXR750 Moto GP Colours
It seems every bike was a Suzuki 😀!!!

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 20:05:54 »
2x bikes, 2x batteries, 1x trickle charger, 1x each per month.

Asmith61 knows me well I think. I have no qualms with other folks habits over maintaining batteries. I don't pay their bills.........  :grin:

Sorry, must add that I live in a more clement land so I expect to put either battery back on a bike and spin around for an hour or so when possible. I don't 'winter' them, just get them inside during cold or damp spells.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 20:20:21 »
Further to my above comment, I do run the bike to full temperature once every month. Get the damp out of the exhaust system.. I run it hot then give it some revs a few times, then leave it on tick over for maybe 10 minutes....

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 09:52:51 »
Smart chargers can be quite dumb at times.

They need a good few volts to be able to detect a battery being attached. A completely dead battery will not be detected.

I nearly threw out my dad's old Oximser 600 until I remembered this fact.
My car has been stood over the lockdown and a couple of hours on a very basic very low amp charger gave it enough volts to get the bigger car battery charger to detect it and recharge it.

Never use a car charger on a bike battery... the small bike batteries do not like a charge over 1.2amp. Even if the charger says bikes but is over 1.2amp just don't.

I have a solar panel on my garage roof that charges a couple of old bike batteries (no good for the bikes anymore) to power a couple of lights in the garage. (No mains)
I occasionally swap this onto a bike for a couple sunny days. Keeps them going well.
I have an old Oxford solariser and a newer one I bought this year for car that wasn't man enough for the car that's going to get mounted in the garage today just for the bikes.

Ride Coordinator

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 12:34:00 »
OK each to there own, but I have used a battery minder for the last ten years and the pan battery lasted 9 years before needing replacement which surprised me, and the Suzuki battery is four years old now so I have no compunction about leaving the battery minder on full time and most of the time it is on standby with just a couple of led's lit up, but the minder does test the battery every now and again by discharging it slightly and charging it up again  :)

Offline horobags

• Bike: DL250
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 17:54:43 »
great info, thanks all. I have a meta battery charger I bought off Sale yamaha when they closed some years ago, it was their workshop charger so I recon it should be a good one. Charged the new battery at weekend, not fitted it yet as I don't recon I'll be riding till after the 26th. I'll charge it every fortnight through winter to keep it topped up.