Author Topic: Engine Cuts Out  (Read 686 times)

Offline Virgil Tracy

Engine Cuts Out
« on: March 07, 2010, 16:21:45 »
Hello folks, this was a recent problem on my DL1000, engine would not start unless the clutch lever adjustment was set to position 1, then it would cut out when first gear was selected unless the clutch lever was adjusted to position 4 !!! this went on for a few days until it refused to go into gear without cutting out.
This now had me very concerned as visions of a new clutch and a big repair bill  :bawl: this on a bike with only 16.500 miles on the clock.
Now I'm no tech head so before making any arrangements with a dealer for repairs I just thought id give her a quick once over starting with the sidestand cut out switch, BINGO. when the plunger was pushed fully in with my finger no problems selecting a gear, so I spent a bit time with a contact cleaner and rag giving the plunger and housing a damn good clean,lots of muck,fine grit and even a very small stone chip was removed from the area, shes's been good as gold since thank goodness.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen to their bike, and if its a regular event ?

Roll on summer  :)))
Vee/Wee Strom probably the best bike in the world.

Offline V-Strom-Mark

Re: Engine Cuts Out
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 23:17:56 »
Thanks for posting that!  :thumb:  I've never had that problem but it's certainly something I'm going to check with the bikes maintenance.  I should have done it all before todays ride but I was just a bit too eager to get out!!! :shy:
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters