Author Topic: ABS light comes on... Sometimes  (Read 861 times)

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
ABS light comes on... Sometimes
« on: July 24, 2020, 11:54:22 »
So while driving in France, I noticed my ABS yellow dashlight went on. I parked, stopped the engine, started it, but it didn't turn off after start driving. Then I change both fuses and the light went away only to come back on after a little while. I though that something was blowing the fuses, but then again I twisted the fuses a little, and the light went off again. Only to come back again. ABS ring and sensor seems to be OK as far as I can tell by looking at them.

I guess it is some bad electrical connection since it comes and goes. Anyone had experienced similar and fixed it on the roads?

Regards, Lars

Offline bonne

Re: ABS light comes on... Sometimes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:57:38 »
And in order to add to it... The times when the ABS light is off, the ABS actually works. I tested it by trying to block the rear tyre, my and the ABS actually kicks in as expected

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 21:34:04 »
Did you try cleaning the ABS sensors on both wheels?
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline bonne

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 06:41:50 »
Nope. I have never been having that need before. Can I do it without removing the sensors... Simply run a brush there?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 12:41:15 »
The main reasons for the ABS light to come on are the sensors, the connections or the pump.

Next time your ABS light comes on test the rear again and see if the ABS kicks in and then the front if your are brave enough.

This should give you an indication if it's a front or rear issue as they work separately.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline bonne

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 19:26:52 »
Yeah, well - I did check the rear brakes. ABS only works on rear brakes when ABS light is not on. I am not brave enough to test it on the front wheel. Back home, I dismounted the sensors and cleaned them with electric contact cleaner. Also cleaned and lubed moving parts on the front and rear brake levelers as some bloke on youtube mentioned that this would be the common cause for ABS light to come on. But... after driving 3 km., ABS-light is back on again. Even cleaned the fuse contacts.

Where is the ABS-pump located and which connections could come in question here?

Offline bonne

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 19:48:37 »
And another thing. The traction control... isn't this using the ABS sensors as well? So that if the TC light stays of, you can rule out the sensors?