Author Topic: DL1000 collector box removal  (Read 701 times)

Offline steveP Scooter

• Bike: DL1000 K3, Too many others
DL1000 collector box removal
« on: July 22, 2020, 17:38:26 »
Anyone know of a downside to removing the collector box on the DL1000, K3 model?
I'm toying with the idea of making new pipes for it while it will be in pieces, and just wondering if there would be any unwanted effects with its removal. It currently has Delkevic end cans on it with the baffles in place so I'm thinking that should create enough back pressure to keep the fueling in check and not have to do any re-mapping of the ecu.
Unless of course I am completely wrong, which wouldn't be unusual in the least :shrug:

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: DL1000 collector box removal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 21:07:12 »
By removing the collector, do you mean run one cylinder to one silencer and doing away with the cross-over pipework? If so it isn't a good idea, Suzuki did a good job with the cross-over pipe design.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline steveP Scooter

• Bike: DL1000 K3, Too many others
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 00:22:00 »
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
I have no catalytic converter on this, and apart from noise reduction or back pressure creation, I cannot see a reason for having the collector box there unless it is to facilitate the easier manufacture of the exhaust pipes. I must correct one thing in my original post, I have Remus end cans and not Delkevic, although I don't think that makes any difference to things.....

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 01:03:45 »
I've had a quick look for an article I found some time back about the pros and cons of link pipes between exhausts on twin cylinder bikes but it's escaping me for now. The upshot of what I'd read was that a crossover pipe improves the lower end power, and separate pipes can give you more at the top end, but you lose at the lower & mid range that most of your riding uses.
However, the Guzziology bible suggests that larger volume crossovers can increase flow and power  where they're basically empty boxes, but reduce mid range. Where there's any kind of silencing in them as there usually is to meet restrictions without making even bigger silencers, then you're not getting that effect.
What you're possibly better thinking about is keeping some form of crossover, but not a big volume in itself.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 12:20:54 »
Going back a bit (!) to the old British Twins of my youth, the accepted wisdom seemed to be that separate pipes was the best layout for ultimate power, but "siamesed" pipes (into one silencer) was better for low-down torque/power. Hence the cooking bikes tended to have siamesed pipes, but the sporty models separate systems (although even they tended to have a link pipe near the exhaust ports).
And then there were twin-port singles!  :smirk: