Author Topic: Random misfiring  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Archfuldogster

• Bike: DL1000 K6
Random misfiring
« on: June 28, 2020, 19:47:33 »
Hi newby here so be gentle with me.
I have a query that I hope someone can help me with. My Vstrom 1000 runs fine for a random amount of miles on a run then it starts to misfire badly at low revs making it very difficult to keep it running. Over about 5000 revs it picks up fine. I thought it might be my power commander going bad but after disconnecting and running the stock ECU the same happened. If I leave it for a bit or disconnect the battery to reset it then is OK again for a bit before going wrong again. It's like the mapping goes completely off. Any ideas of the cause would be appreciated. Thanks for any help 😀

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Random misfiring
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 20:02:23 »
Throttle position sensors would be my first guess, but I'm sure others with more experience of the vee will add their input in due course.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 20:05:48 »
Hi ,
This problem has arisen before and there's several possibilities.

If I'm correct, you should be able to temporarily cure your issue by turning the ignition off and back on again..?, Doing this should be the same as disconnecting the battery

If so, it could be the fuel pump loosing pressure or a worn TPS.

Sometimes the coils can break down but this is ruled out by disconnecting the battery or turning the ignition off then on

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 20:34:13 »
Mine also does the same after a run of say 10 miles or so at a steady cruising speed runs lovely until you start to slow down and come to a halt at a roundabout or something it will just cut out, it does start straight back up but runs as ruff as hell for a few miles then clears, but it will run all day fine on normal riding on A roads my bike is a 2007 (k7) good luck with your bike and I hope you get it sorted.
Kwackboy really knows his stuff

Offline Archfuldogster

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 20:48:03 »
It seems that a simple switch off the ignition doesn't seem to work unless it's left for 5-10 minutes. When I disconnect the battery, touch live and neutral together to dissipate any residual power, this resets everything and it seems then to be OK. Today we rode about 70 miles before it happened, I reset it but only managed about 15 before it happened again. The TPS sounds a highly probable culprit so thanks for your help. I am no mechanuc so is this a big job?

Offline Archfuldogster

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 20:51:45 »
Mine also does the same after a run of say 10 miles or so at a steady cruising speed runs lovely until you start to slow down and come to a halt at a roundabout or something it will just cut out, it does start straight back up but runs as ruff as hell for a few miles then clears, but it will run all day fine on normal riding on A roads my bike is a 2007 (k7) good luck with your bike and I hope you get it sorted.
Kwackboy really knows his stuff

This does sound similar although mine doesn't clear without resetting or switching off for 5-10 minutes. Thanks for your help 😀