Author Topic: Clutch problem  (Read 773 times)

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
Clutch problem
« on: June 21, 2020, 17:49:38 »
Today I went to remove the cover to the front sprocket / clutch for a clean up and to check the number of teeth for a future chain / sprocket replacement in case it was non standard. The clutch was not easy to remove, partly due to the minimal play on the hose. The push rod part came detached and some fluid came out. OK I thought, I'll just top up and bleed the system.

Putting the assembly back was not easy and I wasn't sure which way round the rubber dust seal went. I managed to bleed the system I think, as it feels OK, but the first time I inserted the push rod it was tight when pulling in the clutch lever. The bike started but some oil came out where the push rod went. I had another go and managed to release some of the hose so I could get a the push rod in easier. I left the dust seal off as it seemed to get in the way. The assembly went in flush to the casing and the lug at the bottom was in OK. The clutch lever felt fine this time and no oil leaked out when it started. The problem now is that when I engage 1st gear and release the clutch it doesn't move, but it's in gear and hasn't stalled.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 18:47:18 »
Sticky push rod, possibly some foreign materials got in there? I wouldn't chance fate by putting in first while it's running again. It may just suddenly pop out again without warning!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Mep

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 19:51:27 »
I had a look at the clutch master cylinder and the piston / push rod when it was removed prior to inserting it for the last time and it seems to work OK when the lever is pulled / released. I know there isn't a lot of movement on the rod. I have since looked at the manual and it doesn't show the rubber dust seal, which is shaped like a hat. I don't know how critical this for the operation other than keeping dust. The image below is the page from the manual and a photo of the dust seal. I seem to recall the flat part is against the casing and the push rod goes through the smaller diameter part.

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 21:25:50 »
Glad you're doing this, as I will watch closely. Mine has developed a slight weep, and I will need to service the s!ave /master cylinders.So I will see how you get on  :thumb:
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 21:33:20 »
the 57 plate DL1000 I have just given some TLC to had a stiff Clutch, on inspection, that top hat seal had flattened/distorted, replacing it resolved the problem.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Mep

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 21:47:38 »
I'll try tomorrow morning with the rubber seal in place and see what happens.

Andy, can you confirm which way round the dust cover goes? - Just found a picture of it on Stormtrooper.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 22:05:33 »
The narrow side sits inside the slave cylinder, if you have a new (non distorted) seal, it is fairly obvious and it fits snugly
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 22:11:04 »
Did you bleed the slave cylinder with the piston pushed all the way in ..?

If you didn't it's possible there's too much fluid in the system stopping the piston from retracting so, when you bolted the slave cylinder in place it's pushed the pushrod too far in engaging the clutch.

This is why when you release the clutch in 1st it doesn't move, the clutch hasn't fully disengaged.

Remove the slave cylinder, release the bleed nipple and Push the piston all the way in.
Hold it in with a G-clamp and bleed the system then bolt the slave cylinder back in place.

Hopefully this should rectify your problem.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 22:46:38 »
Just curious did you zip tie (or strap up ) the clutch lever before you unbolted anything I’m no expert, but I’m trying to understand what went wrong for you? I did exactly the same job yesterday on my Gen 3
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away