Author Topic: Pillion Settings  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Tribal-Wolf

Pillion Settings
« on: February 27, 2010, 16:02:37 »
Anyone with a DL650 who carries a pillion, what suspension settings are best?
I am 13st the missus about 12st

Offline Spike

Re: Pillion Settings
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 18:02:19 »
I have mine set up for me, she has to "adapt" :limp: ... but I am 17st :shy:  and she 10st.

My issue is the headlight seems to dazzle everyone when riding 2up, its OK on my own.

Offline jgscott

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 20:08:49 »
Hi blokes,

I was riding for the first time with a passenger at night few days ago. I noticed I was blinding drivers coming the other way.

What’s the quick fix for this? Sorry to sound stupid.

Regards
Jim

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 20:15:05 »
Quote from: "jgscott"
Hi blokes,

I was riding for the first time with a passenger at night few days ago. I noticed I was blinding drivers coming the other way.

What’s the quick fix for this? Sorry to sound stupid.

Regards
Jim

You need to crank up the preload on the rear shock.

Offline jgscott

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 20:30:15 »
Cool, thanks for the reply. I thought it was along them lines. Will have a look tomorrow. Do I need to look at anything on the front as well?

Also, just out of interest why did my last post change the words 'Hi [bloke s]' to 'Hi blokes'?   :wtf:

Regards
Jim

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 21:14:58 »
Also, just out of interest why did my last post change the words 'Hi [bloke s]' to 'Hi blokes'?   :wtf:

Regards
Jim

Think it's the forum's anti Yank filter rearing it's ugly head again.  It doesn't like Americanisms

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 21:20:02 »
Quote from: "Chris Graves"

Regards
Jim

Think it's the forum's anti Yank filter rearing it's ugly head again.  It doesn't like Americanisms

Does that mean you can't say 'great' then ?

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 21:20:47 »
Damn.... someone can then.

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 19:55:24 »
I don't have a 650, but I have my rear preload wound up to max all the time, and I have dropped the forks down about 2cm in the clamps as well. This helps when riding solo as it puts more weight over the front wheel. And when I have my stepson on the back it levels out nicely and at night the headlights are not so high

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 20:24:57 »
you  can alter the pitch of the headlamps     ...thres a screw    below the dash  by the h lamp unit   ...piccie in the handbook
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline Spike

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 20:43:28 »
Quote from: "minkyhead"
you  can alter the pitch of the headlamps     ...thres a screw    below the dash  by the h lamp unit   ...piccie in the handbook

thanks for that, will rectify it tomorrow,  :thumb:  :thumb:

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:36:43 »
Quote from: "Tribal-Wolf"
Anyone with a DL650 who carries a pillion, what suspension settings are best?
I am 13st the missus about 12st

Try my favourite setting - get on, shut up & hold tight, works great   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 13:46:07 »
Quote from: "Jasper"
Quote from: "Chris Graves"

Regards
Jim

Does that mean you can't say 'Great' then ?

So my post has been edited by a mod or admin.... and the word 'great' put in the place of a wesome !
Are you taking the piss.... or are you really that obsessive about Americanisms.

Offline Nolly

• Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 16:19:04 »
I too seem to blind every cage dweller who happens to be coming towards me when two up. When you say "crank up" do you mean wind it up to five ? mine is set at 3. The other half wheighs in at 10 stone but I am a bit of a fat knacker at 15 1/2 stone

Cheers

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 18:50:36 »
I would put mine up to 6 if I could :neen:

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 18:45:00 »
Quote from: "melnian"
I too seem to blind every cage dweller who happens to be coming towards me when two up. When you say "crank up" do you mean wind it up to five ? mine is set at 3. The other half wheighs in at 10 stone but I am a bit of a fat knacker at 15 1/2 stone

Cheers

crank it  up  to full all the time    the  rear unit  is  woefully undersprung   ... if it feels  harsh   ..back off the rebound   ...if it  feels  bouncy   crank up the rebound   ...the only  cure  especially  two up   is  a new spring  or  rear shock om afraid :shrug:

hagon   do  a good basic unit  for around 260  quid  [no remote preload  ]  ...  spring  sets   front  and rear  aroun90  quid  ..the difference is emmense    if  you do the spring  avoid progressive   they  make more sense on hard ridden bikes   .. :thumb:
                     I fitted ohlins to the rear   650..but  used hagon on the 1000
its a  very very good unit  I rate it  as effective and  easier to use than the ohlins    ...
if u intend to run your bike  long term   its a no brainer   ...still get half the money   back  if u e bay them when you  sell   :grin:

By minkyhead at 2008-11-10

By minkyhead at 2008-08-27

By minkyhead, shot with u30D,S410D,u410D at 2008-11-10
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline Tribal-Wolf

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 21:40:08 »
The other halfs answer is still the same............ 'sell the strom and buy a cruiser then I can ride and you can go on the back' . Sheeesh!

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:13 »
The other halfs answer is still the same............ 'sell the strom and buy a cruiser then I can ride and you can go on the back' . Sheeesh!

Sounds like she knows eff all about bikes - Cruiser, I'd rather trap my cock in my zip

Its already been said but when your riding with a piliion just jack up the Pre-load to max. I personally wouldn't bugger about with the headlights.

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 09:39:31 »

Tell her to STFU and get back in the kitchen.....
Might be a good idea to wear your crash hat when you tell her that though.

Offline dooce

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 14:31:39 »
I'm 12 and a half, missus is 10 and a half (now she'll have to kill us all because we know her weight  :grin: ) and we get on fine with the rear jacked up to the max, even with a full load of luggage on board. I don't bother playing with the lights either and have never seen any suggestion that they blind on-coming drivers - not that I tend to do much night riding anyway. Probably down to the fact that the rear shock is always jacked up to the the max even riding solo - as others have said, any other setting and the bike is under-damped.