Author Topic: ABS Light stays on  (Read 2060 times)

Offline ipod

• Bike: DL650 AL2
Re: ABS Light stays on
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 19:05:13 »
UK_Vstrom650, I read that thread last night and found it very interesting, so figured I would have another look this morning.

So I downloaded the manual from this good site and started working my way through the chapter, most of the test I had already done but figured in the interest of thoroughness I would check anyway.

All was good and as before, right up to the section on deleting stored codes. This was different to the method I had already read, so figured I'd try that, and wouldn't you know it, it worked.

Light now goes out as the bike starts rolling, and the abs kicks in when you stamp on the brake.

So it goes to show RTFM, and verify anything you read with a different source.

Being unable to take the bike out for a real test ride at the moment, I will have keep an eye on it when I can, as I still don't really know why it threw the codes up in the first place.

Thanks to all the suggestions and links that kept me delving into it.
He's not the Messiah (He's a Very Naughty Boy)

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 19:08:54 »
 :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 19:29:28 »
 :clap:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 19:30:55 »
Glad you're sorted (so far). Will keep my fingers crossed this is a permanent solution for you  :thumb:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 21:24:18 »
 :fix: looking positive!  :thumb:
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 21:58:21 »
Glad you got it sorted...  :thumb:

One thing I'm puzzled with though.

As there was nothing wrong with the ABS in the first place, It seems strange that when the bike throws up a fault it would stop the whole ABS system working completely.

I may do some research ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline RoadWarrior1978

• 6000th Member
  • Bike: DL1000 L9
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 09:17:29 »
"All was good and as before, right up to the section on deleting stored codes. This was different to the method I had already read, so figured I'd try that, and wouldn't you know it, it worked."

Please enlighten us, all previous ABS faults I've come across don't require the clearing of codes to restore the system to full operation.

Offline ipod

• Bike: DL650 AL2
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 12:15:44 »
Don't know about other faults, the ones that showed for me basically turned off the ABS, brakes still worked as normal just no ABS and an annoying light on the dash.

I am also not sure which one of them would have turned it off as when it cleared them it did all of them.

I do agree, I would have thought that as the ABS is powered up and it does it's diagnostic, if there is no actual fault it should just start but remember there had been a problem.

Of course there could still be an intermittent problem in there that will only show when I start riding.
 :shrug:
He's not the Messiah (He's a Very Naughty Boy)

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 12:40:39 »
This has been a great thread to follow and really glad its worked out, hopefully this is a permanent solution  :thumb:
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 13:13:36 »
I had similar problem when changed brake oil in my previous '14 DL1000. I don't know what went wrong. I changed oil zillion of times on cars and bikes and it has never happened to me but a lot of air entered in what I calculated was ABS unit. There was no fault code nor light on dash but ABS was not working. Bled brakes various times and every time there was a lot of air getting out. It was at the time I was riding my bike every day for about 50 miles. Then I lost patience and changed the oil all over again and while I was "pumping" it there were huge bubbles getting out. I've spent tripple of oil needed for the job just to make sure it flushed all of the air out.
After that, ABS started working well and the brakes were better. Just to make sure all was right I bled brakes few more times but there was no air.
Your story made me remember the problem I had. Maybe you had some air in ABS unit/pump and it threw fault code. Then you bled brakes and air got out but as you said, the fault was stored and ABS was down.
I don't know, just a tought.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)