Author Topic: Bike security advice/suggestions please  (Read 1594 times)

Offline thebishopp

• Bike: DL650 K7
Bike security advice/suggestions please
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:40:35 »
Hi all,

So my bike is arriving next week. I've invested in a ground anchor, a chain and lock, and an Oxford disc alarm lock. All of which means I think my bike is about as safe as I can make it at home. The disc alarm is small enough it will travel with me, but are there any other suggestions people can make for keeping my bike safe while away from home? I only have a top box, looking at soft panniers but they are a while off so carrying space is limited. A 2nd disc alarm maybe? What do you do to protect your own bikes?

Further, I've been looking at GPS trackers, but budget doesn't allow for one of the monitoring services (working pt as I'm a student again!). I've seen some as cheap as £20, that only need a PAYG SIM and some credit, but I can't find much reliable info about their efficacy and reliability. Any advice here too, please?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Bike security advice/suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 09:53:02 »
https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/live-gps-tracking-software-server

I use their device, I paid £65 for the unit and it's £5 pm subscription. .
It's a nice bit of kit for the money, the app gives a live location , movement sensor alerts along with a host of other stuff. 

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 12:06:31 »
I have trackers on my bikes. It will not stop them being stolen but it might help find them. The company that supplied them have ceased trading. I can still trace them on my phone. I can set them to warn me if they are moved or moved out of a defined zone. Not much use if I'm 300 miles away. On the up side if you have a tracker and it is stolen the Police are inclined to take  a little bit more interest in it.  A big old chain can be useful but a pig to lug around. I always thread the chain through the rear wheel. A locked front wheel is not so good because two people with a stout piece of wood can still move your bike into a van. A disc lock on the back wheel is less obvious and so is less of a deterrent so I use a disc lock on the front in the hope it will put off the light weight scrotes. In the end nothing will prevent theft. My neice has had two scooters stolen and one damaged in the attempt in four years All fixed to ground anchor and chains in her front garden . She lives in Margate which is serious scrote country, but I guess it's the same in most places.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 12:22:20 »
Whatever you use you may want to think twice about telling your insurance company you use them. I use a disc lock on the front wheel whenever I leave the bike out on the street however this would only save me <£20 on the insurance, but I don't use it when I go to pay for petrol etc and I wouldn't trust the insurance company to not pay out if my bike was nicked while I was in the queue...

(My mate had his insurance company try not to pay out for not using the steering lock in his garage when the massive chain & ground anchor prevented the bike being taken. They only agreed to pay out when be pointed out he had to take the steering lock off to let them take his bike away for assessment [damaged tank/ignition wires])

Offline chambersp1

• Bike: DL650 M0 2020
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 13:41:42 »
I guess the only advice I can add is chain it to something when left unattended for longer periods. It means the bike can't just be lifted into a van, without some work first.

I carry my chain on the back seat, looped through the grab handles.

Offline Sage

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 15:31:46 »
In addition to the above one of these works very well, battery operated but makes loads of noise and can be slipped into all sorts of things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120db-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Scooter-Security-Alarm-Anti-Theft-Remote-UK/323947461638?hash=item4b6cc5fc06:g:PQoAAOSwsdJdpDos

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 17:04:02 »
My bike is only left outside hotels/ B&B's etc for about 15 nights a year, otherwise it is in my or my friends sight.. I use an Oxford alarmed disc lock and the 3/4 of us who travel together use chains, cables etc and fasten the bikes together and to any immobile feature to hand. Limited exposure and so far in 10 years no theft..... I know that is no good if you commute..

Offline BeeTee

• Bike: DL1000 L5
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 21:14:53 »
Something I read years ago and still use now, if using a chain keep it off the ground , I go through wheel and up onto seat ,
The solid pavement is a good anvil for attacking a lock and chain whereas on the spongy seat it's harder to get solid contact.

Also don't be tempted to leave a chain locked to post at work, I've read about locks being glued up so when you arrive you leave bike unchained and guess who's watching!!!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 21:29:28 »
Whatever you use you may want to think twice about telling your insurance company you use them...
My mate had his insurance company try not to pay out for not using the steering lock in his garage ..

Remember which company? They'll go on my special list... :icon_batterup:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 22:35:45 »
To be honest I don't as it was a few years ago, however from reading Andrew Dalton's articles in RiDE magazine (legal expert), all insurance companies start from a position of 'how do we avoid paying for this'. I'm sure he said in one article that someone had told their insurance company they were knocked off their bike on the way back from collecting a curry and was accused of being a delivery man and therefore uninsured   :dl_smiley_banghead:

I think the advice given was be careful what you say, and always fully read the terms and conditions of the policy so you know what it is you're getting.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 06:06:35 »
Yes, they have whole departments dedicated to not paying out. That's how they work. They say they are selling peace of mind, but their real purpose is to take our money and not give it back.  :GRR:

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 09:57:19 »
There are a few that pay out without asking too many questions but you'll pay a high premium for the 'peace of mind'. I got a quote from a much advertised 'no quibble' company (with agricultural links) - never laughed so much!

Offline pieman53

• Bike: DL1000 K6, DL1000A L9
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 20:09:43 »
collected my new bike today but whilst in the showroom I had a phone call from the tracking company to say it was being moved. Told them it was OK as I was collecting it. Peace of mind for me now as well as the normal chains.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 20:11:45 »
Does that mean they'll phone you every time you go out on it?! :shock:
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...