Author Topic: DL1000 engine casing  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Zdman

• Bike: DL1000 K7, Honda Crosstourer
DL1000 engine casing
« on: March 07, 2020, 21:14:28 »
Hiya all, can anybody tell me if DL1000 and AL4 engine and stator casing are the same, my k7 both casing are jacketed
Many thanks

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: DL1000 engine casing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 10:31:36 »
Very difficult to tell without having them side by side. The 1000 had a very significant redesign in 2014 with a different capacity. This may have needed changes to the exterior of the engines. I suspect the only way to know for sure is to buy some and give it a try. Safer to buy 2nd hand 2007 cases and refurb those, but I'm going to guess you're struggling to find any.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: DL1000 engine casing
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 06:21:47 »
I don't know whether the AL4 casing will fit the older engine design. You could check the part numbers to compare.
My suggestion, if no 2nd hand engine covers can be sourced from a scrap yard, swap column, etc:
Step 1: go to your local spares shop and ask them to compare the casing gaskets, to determine whether the screw holes line up with each other and they are the same shape gasket. This is the least expensive test. If they don't line up or the shape is different, then it's pointless to continue looking for an AL4 casing. If they line up, then step 2.
Step 2: take your damaged cover along to your spares dealer, to compare the old cover dimensions to that of the new cover plus the prices of each. Not all spares departments would have this cover in stock. Few spares departments would order a cover, just to sit on it, if you don't intend buy it.
Step 3: decide what your budget is, then decide on the way forward
Refurbishment may be the better option in the end.