Author Topic: Coolant top up  (Read 1570 times)

Offline vstrom01

• Bike: DL650 L0
Coolant top up
« on: January 06, 2020, 14:10:43 »
While was topping off fluids and washing and polishing the bike over the holidays.. I noticed that the coolant was just hovering on the "min" mark. 'Oooh that looks like it needs a drop or two in' I think.

2 hours on google and a read of the Haynes later. I sat thinking - 'I have to take half the bike apart to top up the coolant... seriously'

The cap in the haynes looks to be a mahoosive rubber bung thing - and the youtubes I'v watched most didn't show the cap..

I've done a search on here and found a few topics that have covered it - but it doesn't seem conclusive if getting a syringe with a bit of pipe on works over removing the (all) side panels and the loosening the tank.

How big is this rubber plug cap - can the average person get their fat fingers under the tank - remove the cap (without it falling into another deep, dark corner of the bike) and squeeze another pipe in the res to top up the fluid.. (as suggested in one topic on here)

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
Re: Coolant top up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 17:55:09 »
I echo your curiosity on this....I was staggered to discover the steps involved in topping up the coolant on this 'adventure' bike, when I read the owner's manual for my '17 DL650. If anyone has successfully found a short cut, please share it with us!

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 17:59:58 »
Might be no harm do learn how to get the tank off and get to know your bike, it is awkward but very satisfying when you learn to do stuff yourself and at least you know for sure then that it has been done, you might check your air filter and clean and waterproof the connectors behind the rad while you are in there.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 18:04:40 »
 :text-goodpost:
Although I do get the point that form over function is a PITA

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 19:51:12 »
I recently topped it by by inserting a fairly long tube into the reservoir with a funnel that was just above the fairing. The rubber plug is easy enough to get to. I had to keep and eye on it as it's easy to over fill and then you would have to drain some out, which would be fun.
I don't if my bike arrangement is different to yours though.

Offline BigAldo

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 21:45:54 »
Follow the overflow tube down to the right foot peg. You can back fill the expansion tank from here using washing up liquid bottle filled with coolant and pushed into the overflow tube. Just squeeze the new coolant back up into tank. You need to pop the top loose (not right off) on the expansion tank to let the air out as it fills with coolant. Sometimes the top is not properly airtight and the air will escape without popping the top off.

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 09:52:18 »
So simple and so obvious! Why didn't I think of that? Aldo, you're a genius!

Offline Dr Evil

• Bike: 2018 DL1000 XT, 2000 GSX750F, 2001 Suzuki DRZ400
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 17:31:23 »
I've got an old bottle, fork oil I think, with the bottom cut off and a length of pipe taped in the spout. that fits in the tank filler and you top up from there.
Easy.
Santa Claus faced grumpy old bastard !