Author Topic: What would you replace a 'Strom with ???  (Read 4805 times)

Offline GrandadsV

Re: What would you replace a 'Strom with ???
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 21:16:39 »
Been having a good think about this. Had my Vee for 2 years now, and it just does everything you ask of it. From touring 2 up loaded with luggage, or a Sunday afternoon blast.
Last 2 bikes were "sports tourers", a vfr and zzr1100, but now due to creaking bones anything along these lines is out. I think they are getting more sport than tourer anyway now looking at the new VFR pillion perch and tank range :crazy:
Any replacement would have to be in the "adventure" category, upright riding position, and comfort that's lets you ride all day. If I 'am honest there is nothing out there that floats my boat. There is the big Yamaha and Quacker Tourers, but that is the problem, they are BIG!!
That leaves the German and Italian hardware, exotic and overpriced.
For me there is nothing out there worth changing the Strom for.
Dick

"Spike Malignant" That well known typing error.

Offline smithy

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 00:03:50 »
I have to admit a few months ago a mate of mine with a Tiger 955i bought a Pan 1300 as a runaround (don't ask!) and we borrowed an FJR1300 from a dealer for a few hours. Pan was OK but really liked the FJR! Sorry, Strommers. Didn't buy anything but wouldn't swap my DL1000 for a Pan, but it's very close on the FJ.

Offline baz tarred

• Bike: Vstrom 800re
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 08:03:16 »
cb1300s so far sooooooo great

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 15:37:28 »
I've tried    near  everything  out  there   ..  gtrs     stelvios .. multistradas   fazers   tigers   .. ktms   ..owned  three gses  and a varadero    ...  gses    ..unreliable    ...vara    too much  weight  
      all have some    good  points    ..  but   all are  comprimized     ...like the strom  I suppose  

the big  tourers  are  just  to  heavy  when the going get  twisty  they  just  tie up in knots     ....like eddys  pan  I've ridden it  many  times  its  a  smashing  touring  bike    but   as soon as  you  get  in to the  guts of  the ride   ... its   cheers ed   enjoyed  that  m8  but  I think weel swap back  now    :haha:

OK I've spent  a few bob on the strom ..  suspension    ..brakes   ..dyno  ect   but  when they  say  my  bike and  ..4  5  6  7  thousand  quid    ... :-x
my immidiate mental  reaction  is     [you  must  be  ferkin jokin  ]
             up to 110  mph   it  ain't  gong to be disgraced by  anything    .. pleanty quick enough    with a sixteen tooth  front  sprocket  ...  after that on a road  I  don't  care   ...  done all that ....  ithas on occasion    susprised and shown a clean pair of  heels to  bikes  with  50  or  more  horsepower    .... lol  lol  :grin:  :grin:

to  find something    that  does all the things the strom does   as well is not an easy trick    
        wether protection  comfort    decent speed  ..grand  tourer    ...good handling   ..  cheap to run  ..
     threres  some  entertaining  bikes :grin: ..but  most are  one or two trick ponies      ..but   the faster  ones  would be pissing me off after 75  miles   in the rain     ,,,and the tourers  would  bore me to death   in places  like  alitson  maze   .   .. and  applecross pass

Got to  try the new  multistrada   and tenere    ....but  they  would  have to have  all the  stroms  attributes  ..plus  compleatley  blow me  away     with the   engine and handling   ..before  they  prise me strom and 7 k off  me    

but   heres  hoping     ...       :grin:  :grin:
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 18:28:39 »
I do like the new GSX1250FA, I know it's only a Bandit in a Gixxer suit  :shy: , but I bet it's comfy and that motor is a peach, and being a Bandit it should be cheap :grin:

Don't like this years colours for the GSX650F though  :-x
Stu :)))

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 19:27:11 »
Plenty of opinion's there, I thought I'd open a hornet's nest   :grin:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline 2112

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 14:40:17 »
New Tenere !!!   :grin:

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 01:59:02 »
+its  152  am     ..I've had  a few   shandies     ...... :grin:

I've  just  run the little royal  enfield  for  over   500  mile now     .....different  is   not in it   ...... :grin:

so   I'm  going  back in my  mind    to the  bike I  enjoyed  riding the most  in the last  twelve  months    

I'm  pretyy sure u blokes  know its  more than a few    

the  one that keeps  coming    top of the list    by  a big  margin     ....is      .......

I  may  be  sober tomorrow     ...but  if I'm still keen  somone talk me out of it      :shrug:  :grin:  :shock:

I love the little  enfield  because    it  soo different    ...and it is   and then some

but the bike that  was the most impressive  ..and I enjoyed riding the most  out of  all the fast high tech  stuff  [and there were many] lol .

.considering   the purpose it was built  for  and the enjoyment it gave  ..  was without a shadow of a doubt

was.....

the victory  vision  

I think  a sea  change    may  be  in  order   ..you Got to admit    there both different talk about  chalk and  cheese  

..shit  I think I'm going to do it   ....omg ....help      :grin:  :grin:  :wtf:    
think  about the practicalities    ...I could keep the  enfield in the right hand pannier   as  a back up   ...escape    pod     ... :shock:  :grin: ...shit  I am pissed     :clap:  :crazy:  :grin:

By minkyhead, shot with u30D,S410D,u410D at 2009-04-19

By minkyhead at 2009-04-14
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 20:39:36 »
I tried the KTM 990 Adventure yesterday, I had it for about an hour an a half. It was nice, the engine was brilliant, but I would have to spend a fortune to spec it up to match the Strom. The basic bike is over £11K! The dealer did have a special offer on a pre reg in White with full KTM luggage, heated grips and a couple of other bits for £10450.
I still couldn't find any reason to spend another £8000 on top of my bike trade in.
I would be happy if I could put the KTM engine in the Strom, now that would be a cool bike.
It looks like it may be another V-strom

Offline ganners

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 21:28:28 »
I don't even have a strom (yet) but to me the new Ducati Multistrada (this weeks MCN) in red is horny sex on wheels!!!

Paul

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 23:16:40 »
Not knocking Ducatis (I've owned three in past lives), but walk round a used bike shop and look at the mileages of used Dukes (and most other sports bikes for that matter!) and you'll see that they get very little use. So if you're buying a bike to use and put a few miles on I would personally steer well clear of Ducatis, in spite of what they say about lower servicing costs on their newer bikes. Servicing them with their belts, desmo shims, clutches etc will cost you arms and legs! Lovely bikes if you can afford to run them. Also be wary of Ohlins shocks. Work well but reliability and longevity really not what it should be considering the cost. The final straw is to look at Dukes on Ebay and even low mileage ones will often list no end of work and replacement parts that would not normally be the case on Japanese bikes. Didn't mention anything German there, for fear of upsetting someone. Yes I've owned a Beemer as well so could talk at length about them. Must be something going for the 'Strom then. Wonder what it could be?.... Use it for work, service it myself, go to France, service it myself, go to Spain, tyres last twice as long as anything I've had in years, service it myself again, don't get cramp or bum ache, ride it as a tourer, ride it as a sports bike. Nuff said!!

Offline Herbie

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 14:00:27 »
Moto Guzzi Stelvio looks good.
Going to take one for a test next weekend.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 14:13:10 »
Quote from: "hookie"
Not knocking Ducatis (I've owned three in past lives), but walk round a used bike shop and look at the mileages of used Dukes (and most other sports bikes for that matter!) and you'll see that they get very little use. So if you're buying a bike to use and put a few miles on I would personally steer well clear of Ducatis, in spite of what they say about lower servicing costs on their newer bikes. Servicing them with their belts, desmo shims, clutches etc will cost you arms and legs! Lovely bikes if you can afford to run them. Also be wary of Ohlins shocks. Work well but reliability and longevity really not what it should be considering the cost. The final straw is to look at Dukes on Ebay and even low mileage ones will often list no end of work and replacement parts that would not normally be the case on Japanese bikes. Didn't mention anything German there, for fear of upsetting someone. Yes I've owned a Beemer as well so could talk at length about them. Must be something going for the 'Strom then. Wonder what it could be?.... Use it for work, service it myself, go to France, service it myself, go to Spain, tyres last twice as long as anything I've had in years, service it myself again, don't get cramp or bum ache, ride it as a tourer, ride it as a sports bike. Nuff said!!

Here Here - I couldn't have put it better myself
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline 2112

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 17:22:29 »
Quote from: "Herbie"
Moto Guzzi Stelvio looks good.
Going to take one for a test next weekend.
I had a sit on one at the bike show and just could not get comfortable, I must have an odd arse  :shrug:

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 19:22:44 »
the Stelvio feels very under powered after the Strom :GRR:

Offline Heebeegeebee

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 21:20:12 »
Saw a review for the Multistrada....cracking bike.

I had no intention of changing my bike. Until I took the cover off this time home and saw the rust... :shock:  ###

I probably won't buy another Suzuki again because of this.... :bawl:
Opera, just what the world needs, more fat women screaming

Anonymous

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 22:10:37 »
I don't know where people get this idea that Suzuki's rust before your eyes. Most of my bikes have been Suzi's over 34 years, and while Honda may have a better and longer lasting finish and you'd expect it for the premium you pay, Suzuki's are no different from Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Triumph.
Any bike will rust. even a Honda, if you don't look after it. My old Bandit 1200 still looked like new after 4 years and 17,000 miles when I traded it in.
Try cleaning em more often and use ACF50 and WD40.

kritichris

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 10:06:52 »
Quote from: "Jasper"
Try cleaning em more often and use ACF50 and WD40.

Agreed!

When my VStrom goes it'll be for something sedate like a Ducati Monster, poseur that I am.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 11:50:03 »
The new multistrada looks amazing, but have you seen the price? Top model costs twice what I paid for a new DL1000 two years ago.

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 11:50:31 »
Have just seen the new VFR in the flesh at George Whites and IF money was no object   :shy:
But I'd probably hold out for the auto - does that make me a bad person  :crazy:

Stu