Author Topic: Chec driving me nuts!  (Read 1683 times)

Offline usherc

• Bike: DL650 K7
Chec driving me nuts!
« on: August 01, 2019, 17:29:28 »
Hello all,  running out of patience with my wee.. And it's starting to knock my normally cheery disposition!  12 years old I've never had a moments trouble with it until someone kindly knocked it over while parked.  Insurance took it away and wrote it off, but I bought it back and it came back with a totally flat battery.. Which meant the alarm played up and I couldn't disarm it. I was getting a chec on the display and it wouldn't spin or prime the fuel pump. I believe I've successfully stripped the alarm out. The starter now spins,  but no fuel pump and the chec is still there, if I switch the kill on, or don't pull the clutch the starter won't spin,  so I think they're working.. The neutral light is on, so shouldn't be the side stand,  I've just bought a used TO sensor, but nothings changed! (I've checked all the fuses etc..) before I bite the bullet and take it to someone who knows what they're doing,  anything obviously anyone could suggest that I haven't tried? Thanks

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Chec driving me nuts!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 18:38:19 »
Maybe check the wiring where you stripped out the alarm? Can be a tricky operation, that (I had to pay someone to do mine, was doing my head in).

What error code do you get?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline usherc

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 18:48:50 »
No error code yet,  I've not put it in dealer because of the chec..which I understand won't create a code,  but I'll try to on the weekend on the off chance.  Alarm is still on my list of suspects,  it was professionally installed when the bike was new, I can see where it cuts into all the wires, but from what I can tell,  it was only in the ignition circuit in one place, which I've reconnected,  it looks like all the other wires are just about flashing the indicators etc.. And they're all at the rear of the bike and I can see any safety switches or ignition parts back there? Cheers

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 07:01:57 »
In my previous life I was often called upon to be "creative" with recalcitrant vehicles. I'd be inclined to disconnect the feed to the fuel pump and add another ignition fed one. That should get you mobile.

If that works I'd start checking from the switch to the ecu from the ecu to the pump. I take it you have a comprehensive wiring diagram and a boatload of patience.

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline usherc

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:21:54 »
Wiring diagram yes.. Patience in short supply,  wiring the pump direct is a great shout though, assuming it fires into life, at least that will be one thing off the list of possible faults! Thanks.
That advice along with the word "recalcitrant", I've learned 2 things today and it's not even 8am, I'll certainly be using that in conversation today,  people will think I do talk good.  :grin:

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 13:12:04 »
Where abouts are you?  Always handy to have that in your profile in case someone nearby can help.  I'm an electrical engineer for instance and always happy to help someone local.

Offline usherc

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 16:01:58 »
I'm in sunny Bristol.. Bit far from you, but if there's any other mechanically inclined individuals closer, who are willing to trade an hour for a few cans of cider,  I'd love to hear from you!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 16:15:05 »
Long shot I know, have you tried swapping any relays over. Assuming the fuel pump has a relay, they can be temperamental little buggers. If indeed it does have one try bridging the 12v in, to the 12v out pole.

Last ditch scenario if you have breakdown recovery take the bike somewhere in a van or on a trailer and "break down". When the recovery wallah shows up just do this  :shrug:.

p.s. take sandwiches and a drink, they sometimes take a while. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline john storrie 69

• Site Donator
  • Suzuki owner since 1968
  • Bike: DL250 . GT750A from new 1976. Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 20:42:36 »
I don't know if this will be any use to you. I used to be a datatool approved installer, since I retired this is all I have left.
But most aftermarket alarm immobilizers work on the same basic principles.
On Fragrant Cloud
Old bikers never die.
They just FART and disappear into the sunset.

Offline usherc

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 06:59:25 »
Brilliant thanks, that is very interesting.. Primarily the part where the circuit cuts into the wiring twice!.. I've found and reconnected where it cut into the starter motor.. But that suggests another cut into "engine *something. See step 1?".. can't quite make it out,  but reignites my suspicious that I haven't stripped the alarm out correctly. It is spliced into something in the rear of the loom which I can't identify from the wiring diagrams in Haynes, but interestingly there are some wires on the diagram suggesting something is in place for a oem alarm if you opted for it? I wonder if the installers of the acumen on my bike, might have cut into those,  which may already be in place for immobilising purposes?
A few more things to try along with checking relays..  Thanks tlpower!.. Then look around for some breakdown cover  :whistle:

Offline usherc

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 11:08:17 »
On the subject of the alarm wiring, can anyone identify the wires highlighted below? (black with brown dots I think, but I'm colour blind?!) They're part of the original loom, but I don't know if the connector blocks and where it's joined in the top left, has been done as part of the alarm install?.. I'd originally thought they were just in the loom for an option my bike doesn't have.. but if not any idea's how I put them back in original order? Thanks

Offline john storrie 69

• Site Donator
  • Suzuki owner since 1968
  • Bike: DL250 . GT750A from new 1976. Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 11:38:39 »
Generally the alarm wires aren't coloured, just plain black.they then have coloured sleeve about 5mm long which identifies which wires go where, the installer then removed them when finnaly installed, the joins into your loom should generally be as close to the object to be isolated as possible.
The wires to the fuel pump are on the nearest point to the connection into the pump, it's just an inline loop, likewise with ignition switch (key unit). You may also have an inline diode fitted on the indicator feed line, this will need removing as well.
Where abouts in the country are you, someone may be able drop round and help?
On Fragrant Cloud
Old bikers never die.
They just FART and disappear into the sunset.

Offline usherc

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 18:27:42 »
Thanks for the info.. I'm in Bristol, but I've decided to get a mechanic to come and have a look. To be honest, I'm just running low on patience with it,  and although the people on this forum have been great, I'm starting to realise my own limits. If I carry on, I'm pretty sure I'll start going backwards as I trade my voltmeter for a hammer! Fingers crossed he can help when he takes a look Monday, I'll be sure to update as to whether it was the alarm, side stand, kill switch, clutch switch, something else or all of the above! Sorry all, feel like I've let you down..

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 20:03:53 »
You haven't. As much as we all wish you well and hope the bike is soon fixed there is always something of interest in a story of woe. Be sure to let us know how it progresses.  :eusa-doh:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 22:28:03 »
Best of luck. Wiring problems can be a pest and that picture has set off my OCD again.

Please can you do me a favour and get your mechanic to tidy up the wiring loom once he's done? It'll save me a fortune in valium...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline usherc

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 19:08:58 »
SUCCESS!  yeah alright,  I needed to get a mechanic to take a look,  but it was the alarm.. I hadn't disconnected everything because I was afraid of making things worse,  the mechanic wasn't worried and immediately chopped it all out,  with all the alarm wires out of the way you could see there were essentially 4 wires that needed connecting back into 2 straight runs.. Thing is, they were all the same colour (black with dots as I'm the pic above),  so you can't tell which 2 go together, mechanic agreed with my suspicion that they are part of the original loom, for an oem alarm.. Hence then not being really identifiable.  He also made me feel a little better saying that connecting them back in the wrong order on some bikes could damage the ecu..however he'd stripped them from dl's and sv's before and getting it wrong would blow a fuse at worse.  So he had a guess,  I turned the key and she fired right up,  no warnings,  running like a champ. £50 well spent!  Thanks again for all the help,  I try to do as much as I can myself, so appreciate all the knowledge imparted. Next thing on the list is to pull the scratched fairings and crash bars off and respray.. I'm thinking matt black to avoid trying to match paint! Cheers

Offline TLPower

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 19:12:11 »
Thank you for letting us know. :thumb:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 21:48:42 »
Great stuff  :thumb: now get out there and enjoy :auto-dirtbike:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 19:25:43 »
 :clap:  glad it's sorted
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 20:41:24 »
Great, it was very interesting reading. I am glad you managed to sort it out :)   :text-bravo: :text-goodpost: