Author Topic: Thoughts on the 2019 1000  (Read 1555 times)

Offline VstromJay

Thoughts on the 2019 1000
« on: July 26, 2019, 18:54:16 »
Took a 2019 1000 out for a test ride today so here is a rather long winded review. Had a DL1000GT way back in 2008 which I had for 5 years and 50,000-60,000 miles so I was interested in seeing the differences with the new one.
The one I tested was a XT in BMW blue with the taller seat. Only 258 miles on the clock so it was rather fresh.
Now having spent the last 3 years hoofing about on a Burgman I was a tadge nervous. Darn that thing felt tall! For the first few minutes I felt that I was going to hit low flying aircraft but soon I was remembering the view - on the Burg you sit at the same height as you would do in a car so I have missed being able to see over hedges etc.
The second thing I had flash through the brain was, it has gears, hopefully I can remember how to use them - luckily I have over 380,000 odd miles on ‘normal’ bikes so the body remembered and I managed not to stall it. The first roundabout was “interesting”. Tight, a strange camber, slightly downhill and only 400 meters from the dealers while I am still trying to remember how to ride an adventure bike! Not quite totally screwing it up it did give me an “oh sh@t” moment.
Took my time and did nothing heroic and kept to speeds that the plod would have been happy with. The V twin feel was a bit “that don’t feel right” at first but soon I was used to it.
About half way into the ride I finally felt happy enough to look at all the toys on the display. Mpg was hovering in the 56-60 as I was being cautious, then I noticed the blinking fuel pump symbol. Ah, a bit more pressing the selector and found the “miles to go before you are walking” info. Very handy if a bit suspicious- it sat at 32 miles to go for nearly 8 miles then jumped to 22. Still, I was hoping that that was miles to go until I hit reserve and that the last bar would blink for that.

Stopped for 5 minutes to have a good look around plus practice getting on and off  - I still can not just sling my leg over as I used to. Once I worked out that I could get on and off the thing without upsetting my back injury I took off again. Did a good mix of country A/B roads and dual carriageway plus a wee bit of in town. No unclassified back lanes as I did not want to risk it given how out of practice I was. Got back to the dealers with 15 or so miles left in the tank grinning from ear to ear. Only tried to change gear using the dash selector switch once - it is how you change up or down on the Burg in Manual mode

Conns first.

Did feel front heavy but that may be due to coming from the Burg.

Waaaaay too good a front brake! So used to the usual Nissa rubbish the Vstroms front did take me by surprise more than once.

Minor snags
Wind buff was not too bad but I can see where people would complain about it - personally I liked it in this heat as the wind could hit my jacket vents.

Good points

Much better 1st/2nd gear response than I remember on my DL1000.

Far better Mpg

Seating position felt ‘better’, I think the seat is a tadge narrower on the 2019 over the DL1000 I had. Slightly more of a forward lean angle so some of my torso weight was taken on my arms which is a good thing for my back.

Gear box felt smoother along with the power delivery

Cockpit and the LCD display - very happy with that addition with all the readings etc plus the handy placing of the 12v outlet.

So all in all I was very impressed with the Vstrom in its latest form. For the price you are getting a very good package. When I went from my old DL1000 to a Yam XT1200 it felt so much more refined than the DL. In the 2019 version it feels as refined at the XT1200 but a far more capable road bike and for 20% less price.

No looking forward to picking mine up in several weeks time

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
Re: Thoughts on the 2019 1000
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 00:17:56 »
Did you try one of the lower seats?

Offline VstromJay

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 17:01:00 »
The tester had the higher seat which I liked. Will ask for one with the new bike as it helped with the seating position for me. Sat on the one that I will bet buying which had the standard seat and that felt a bit low/cramped for me

Offline brettchallenger

• Bike: DL650 L8, Jawa 350
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:04:21 »
Perhaps you should consider a 650.  Mine is plenty fast enough and has more than enough go for most A and B roads - you will have no problem losing your licence if you really want to. It handles beautifully. Mine does 72mpg which will be more than you got out of your Burgman 650. 

Offline VstromJay

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:44:57 »
lol, would never go for the 650. Mate had one when I had my 1000, just too slow for my riding style. Rode the 650 Burg up to the dealers to see how much it was worth in PX and was surprised at the difference after only riding the Vee for an hour. Soooooo much lower and waaaay less umph. Plus the mirrors are pants! Will miss the vast underseat storage though!
Picking up my 1000 on Thursday

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 19:46:21 »
Ride it at higher speeds and you'll soon realise front heavinessy is NOT your problem :).

If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline Ticker

• Bike: 2019 - DL1000 AL8
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 22:29:08 »
Great write up, thanks for sharing with us. :text-goodpost:

I too took one out a couple weeks ago and was dead impressed with the overall bike, rideability and bundles of torque on tap.

The following day I pulled the trigger on one and am picking her up on Saturday. I'm literally wishing my time away.

Offline VstromJay

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 07:58:16 »
Ride it at higher speeds and you'll soon realise front heavinessy is NOT your problem :).

Probably felt heavy due to the different geometry - being almost bingo fuel did not help! Always found that used to make my previous adventure bikes feel strange up front.

Roll on tomorrow and hopefully clear skys!